RF antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tech007

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
177
0
California
Is there any way to use RF antenna with say an old TIVO?
 
Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
66,963
5,829
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
tech007 said:
Is there any way to use RF antenna with say an old TIVO?
You should be able to use ANY RF antenna with the TIVO , I needed a new one for my H-10 and use the one from my old Sony HD 100 thats sitting in my closet.

Jimbo
 
D

da_smush

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 9, 2004
42
0
To clarify, you won't be able to record off an RF antenna on a DirecTV DVR besides the HR-20. It'll work with any standard TiVo, however.
 
T

tech007

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
177
0
California
I am not sure if we understand each other. I am talking about small antenna at the back of receiver that can turn your remote from IR into RF capable.
The only receiver that is RF remote capable is H20 but other receivers have inputs for RF antenna and in the manual it says that "its for the future use". So I am wondering if there way to make it work.
 
raoul5788

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
32,203
16,768
Cheshire CT
tech007 said:
I am not sure if we understand each other. I am talking about small antenna at the back of receiver that can turn your remote from IR into RF capable.
The only receiver that is RF remote capable is H20 but other receivers have inputs for RF antenna and in the manual it says that "its for the future use". So I am wondering if there way to make it work.

How did you become a tech if you don't know about these things? There are other receivers that are rf capable. I have an LG3200a that is. The new HR20 is also.
 
T

tech007

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
177
0
California
I have Philips DSR 708 model which is DirecTV's old TIVO. I dont have LG I wish I had but I dont. So if anybody knows how to enable rf functions of the abovementioned model I would greatly appreciate that.
 
T

Teronzhul

SatelliteGuys Family
May 21, 2006
117
0
The Philips DSR708 is not RF capable. As far as I'm aware, none of the DirecTivo units are RF capable. The only way you'll get an RF remote to work with them is to buy a universal with an RF base station to convert the signals.
 
Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
66,963
5,829
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
tech007 said:
I have Philips DSR 708 model which is DirecTV's old TIVO. I dont have LG I wish I had but I dont. So if anybody knows how to enable rf functions of the abovementioned model I would greatly appreciate that.
Should be straight forward, normally in the owners manual how to do that.
My H10, HR20-700 and old Sony HD 100 all were RF capable.
You can download owners manuals off D*'s web site if you need one...

Jimbo
 
T

tech007

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
177
0
California
Jimbos said:
Should be straight forward, normally in the owners manual how to do that.
My H10, HR20-700 and old Sony HD 100 all were RF capable.
You can download owners manuals off D*'s web site if you need one...

Jimbo

In the manual it say RF remote antenna output is "for future use". There is a physical plug on back of the receiver. This receiver has been on the market for years.
Imagine buying a new car and there are two steering wheels one says "for future use"...........
 
T

Teronzhul

SatelliteGuys Family
May 21, 2006
117
0
There are a number of things on the tivo units listed as "for future use" including the usb ports. People were able to enable the use of usb for networking, but I'm unaware of anyone who was able to make use of the rf jack.
 
Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
66,963
5,829
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
tech007 said:
http://www.weaknees.com/rf-remote-details.php

Here is one site that sell RF remote converters. $50 bucks is expensive and you need to charge it too much headache. I need to find something simple and preferrably less expensive. Anybody got any links?
You could always get a new and up to date receiver .....
If you manual said future use, I would imagine it's not working ....

I do not think it's that big of a deal that the RF does not work on that receiver seeing it's that old, your expecting it to work in this day and age, is rediculouis, just because these types of things are common today doesn't mean they were back then.
My old C-Band had RF long before any other electronics I had, the RF really didn't become prevalent till the last 5 years or so, most didn't know about it and used IR.

Jimbo
 
T

tech007

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
177
0
California
New DVRs dont have RF working at this point either.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

D
Replies
2
Views
431
jcrandall
jcrandall
907TECH
Replies
3
Views
875
texasbrit
T
Darrell S
Replies
5
Views
592
Darrell S
Darrell S
C
Replies
9
Views
2K
c-spand
C
Jimbo
Replies
27
Views
2K
Jimbo
Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

  • tech007

Latest posts

Top