RF Remote Options for Tivo HR10-250

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ajbuster

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Hey Everyone,
I called DTV yesterday and got the special deal for the Tivo HD DVR (HR10-250), and will have it installed in my new house next month. The box will be for my LCD TV in my living room, but the catch is the component closet where the DVR is to sit is 20-25 feet away. I understand this receiver does not have RF capabilities, so am looking for some advice on what other users in similar situations may be using?? Any advice/input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

ajbuster

RF remote extender

Couple of years ago I had all my equipment down stairs and feed the signal upstairs by coax.

I bought a remote extender which had two units. One in the room to point the remote at and the other module which would repeat the codes in the room the receivers were in. But I cannot remember the name of it. I believe they were produced by X10.

Do an Ebay search for remote extender and see what you come up with.

Jim

I got a device from Value Electronics that sits next to the DVR. It comes with a transmitter that sits inside the battery case of the remote so you don't have to point at a cube to transmit to the receiving device. I think it was around $60.00. I prefer it to the cubes as you can be anywhere within 150 ft and it still works.

I can't find the item on their website, so you'll have to call for more info.

This KIT from Weakness works just great on all of my sets from any room in the house. Should do just fine for just 20 feet or so, too. At $49 it's a great buy!

http://www.weaknees.com/rf-remote-details.php

PS That component closet will need to be vented. Lots of heat build-up there that will cause equipment issues if not addressed. I had numerous issues in last custom built home even after adding a fan and vent. DVRs run hot anyway, and need a lot of air flow!

Last edited:
rickaren said:
PS That component closet will need to be vented. Lots of heat build-up there that will cause equipment issues if not addressed. I had numerous issues in last custom built home even after adding a fan and vent. DVRs run hot anyway, and need a lot of air flow!

Thanks rickaren. I hadn't even thought about venting that closet. :( The devices it will have are a receiver, DVR, DVD player, cable modem and router. The DVD player will generally be off, but the others will be on most of the time. What would you suggest for ventilating it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts