RG-6 Length

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pi314

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
WI
What is the maximum run length for RG-6 cable from LNB to receiver? No switches, no motors just a direct connection.

I have installed 300 feet of quad shield solid copper core to a fixed dish before without polarity switching or signal issues.

Results will vary and is dependent on the receiver's LNB power supply, tuner sensitivity, quality of coax, LNBF performance, current draw and polarity switch point.

For any lengths above 250' you should consider using RG11. An inline amplifier and/or external LNB power supply may also be necessary for excessively long runs.

Thanks Brian. For this project I'll be using Amiko Mini HD SE for a run length of 200 feet using BSC-621 LNB and RG6 from Home Depot. What is polarity switch point?

The switch point is the minimum voltage necessary to switch a LNBF output from vertical to horizontal polarity. LNBF vertical polarity is typically outputted with 13Vdc supplied and horizontal is outputted with 18Vdc.

Different LNBF models switch between polarities at different voltages between 14.5 and 16Vdc. I usually try to target a 15Vdc switch point on LNBF designs.

The voltage drop incurred with a long coax run or low STB output could result in a drop below the voltage required to switch to horizontal polarity and the polarity output will remain vertical.

Thanks Brian. For this project I'll be using Amiko Mini HD SE for a run length of 200 feet using BSC-621 LNB and RG6 from Home Depot. What is polarity switch point?
Nothing to do with RG6, but if I were you I would swap out that BSC-621 for a C1PLL (3.7-4.2). You will probably be able to get a lot more channels, especially since you have a 7.5' dish.

Reactions: Titanium
I have duel RG-6(not quad) run 500+ feet from my house to a 10 foot orbitron dish. Installed in 1993 and still works perfect today. I never had a receiver not work with the 500+ feet of cable. Used many receivers and different feedhorns since 1993 and all worked perfectly. I would assume I'm at the end of the line when it comes to cable length for RG-6. Still working great.

Chadg2, Do you use LNBFs or LNBs? While performance will drop on an underpowered LNB, some will work down to 10Vdc. No switch point issues either. :)

Installed BUDs with 800'+ runs back in the day...

I've run both LNBF's & LNB's. Either without problems. I'm currently using my co-rotor 2+ with 20degree sidekick & California Amp .7 degree LNB. So far works every polarity switch.

Reactions: Titanium
Servo polarity control is definitely the more problem free switching over long distance runs. I recall a friend doing a service call years ago with the dish located 1/2 mile away from the receiver. Successfully located a break in the underground servo wire!

WOW, I have serviced some long runs on C-Band systems, but never one that long!

500 feet on legacy with Dish.

The issues with long cable lengths are not signal related but rather...

#1 Polarity 13/18 volt switching. On longer runs you get voltage drops and the Lnb does not enough voltage to switch to 18 volts.

#2 switching - the switch commands cannot travel back up the cable from the receiver to the switch. However this can be solved by running seperate cable runs from the Dish and locating the switches closer to the receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts