RG6 cable run max lenght?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

skylab

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Got a sg2100 digipower motor and a fortec mecury II receiver. What is my max RG6 cable run? Got to move my dish

Thanks
Skylab

What you can do, which I HAVE done both in dish installs , and network installs, is put a 200 foot coil of cable between your receiver and motor, and see how it works. It would be a "pre-test", if you will. If it works, you can feel fairly good about the relocation, and if it doesn't work, you can start troubleshooting and see if you can cure it.
:)

My cable modem line (self installed) spans right at 480ft and I have never had a problem. maximum distance that any coax is good for depends upon how much loss you can tolerate and how much noise pickup will happen. 200ft is a usual breaking point, but depends a lot on environment of operation. I agree with Brent and think you should do a trial and error test. Problems usually happen when a powered item is involved.

Got a sg2100 digipower motor and a fortec mecury II receiver. What is my max RG6 cable run? Got to move my dish

Thanks
Skylab

A friend on another board has a BUD on 200' of RG6, his is solid copper core... My furthest is my BUD at 150' Quad RG6. I can agree with ACRadio 100%, but a lot of people say don't go over 150 without switching to RG11

that was also my first question in this forum. I ran 270+ feet of RG-6 to my SG2100 located on my barn and so far so good, I used the double shielded type I bought from Lowes, ran it underground inside plastic conduit, I ran 3 cables , one for the motorized setup, another for a fix dish and last one for an OTA antenna, 4 month or so later everything is working fine.

If your having problems you can switch to a bandstacked lnb then perm set the voltage to 18v

I ran 800ft of quad shield solid copper core rg6 on an install once. Used a bandstacked lnb, 1amp 18v power supply, signal amp at 400ft. Worked fine. You gota do what you gota do sometimes to make it work, but you can always make it work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)