RG6 cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cosmokramer11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Queens
The store where I am buying my dish and motor from they do not sell the RG6 cables. I was at radioshack and they have Rg6 cables can I use that? It does say on the box for satellite use. Thanks

If the price is too cheap, then check the rating of the cable. My local surplus store had a bunch of RG6 cables for a really cheap price. They turned out to be labelled RG6U. I'm guessing that the "U" means UnShielded. The cables were junk. They corroded pretty when used outdoors and they had very bad performance on my motorized Ku dish. I replaced those cables with good quality RG6 cable with a good braided shield, and it is working fine.

If the price is too cheap, then check the rating of the cable. My local surplus store had a bunch of RG6 cables for a really cheap price. They turned out to be labelled RG6U. I'm guessing that the "U" means UnShielded. The cables were junk. They corroded pretty when used outdoors and they had very bad performance on my motorized Ku dish. I replaced those cables with good quality RG6 cable with a good braided shield, and it is working fine.

Your performance with your RG6U cable probably had more to do with the cable quality/use itself, and nothing to do with the U letter designation. The U does not stand for UnShielded. It has differing meanings... Sometimes it's meant to stand for Universal, sometimes people refer to it as being rated for "underground". I think they are the same thing then, in that regard. I think Belden (one of the best RG6 cable manufacturers) even says "universal", so it's a toss up.

I have RG6 quad shield cabling that I used in my setup, and it has the U designation too.

You can pick up RG6 cable on EBAY cheap. I buy RG6 in the 1000 foot roll and run two wires for every one connection, just a little insurance.

I also use RG6 quad from ebay, nice cable but connectors ar harder to work with.

Not to hijack a thread.. But what the differnence in that tri-shield cable and other cable?

Probably just the amount of RF shielding in the cable, and maybe price. lol. I'm not too familiar with tri-shield cable.

Regular RG6 has two layers of shielding, a layer of foil, and a layer of braided shielding. I'm guessing tri-shield just adds an extra layer of shielding (probably foil).

Quad-shield RG6 cabling has 4 layers of RF shielding. 2 layers of foil, and 2 layers of braided shielding.

If you're looking at building your own cables (cutting them, fitting the connectors on, etc...) then the other issue that sometimes pops up is with compression connectors on the ends. The extra shielding sometimes introduces just enough width to the cable, that it's hard to get the connections on. So, if you buy quad shield cabling, make sure you get RG6 quad compression connectors.

Tri-Shield is foil braid foil...on eBay it's maybe 10 bucks more per 1000ft...I found some flooded for $58/1000ft shipped. Regular connectors work just fine with Tri-Shield. The kind I use is 77% braid where it's usually either 40 or 60%.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)