RG6 installed next to electric wire?

hab

Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
I have re-run some RG6 in the basement that I am finishing. Now the Satellite won't work! I am using RG6 quad shield, with three cables running together. The only thing I can think of is that the RG6 was run next to several electrical wires (14 gauge - 110 volts). Can this create interference?

i've seen older rg-59 pick up hum bar kinda interference, hopefully ya didn't staple a coax to a romex! It shouldn't cause it to have absolutely nothing. All 3 coaxs are not working?

It's static in the elecrtical wires that induces interference onto the signal in the coax. All that wiring of the power lines are one gigantic receiving antenna. The NEC and IEC both requires that coax or low voltage wire be run at least 6 inches away from line voltage wiring. When it does get close, it should cross at or near right angles.

Mike500 is correct, in that you have to have a mininum of 6", and 12" would be better, of space between any electrical transmission lines and A/V lines.

Don't waste any more time trying to figure out what is causing the problem, until you separate those lines...

That is a diagnosis from an engineering standpoint. From practical(real world) experience. Not theory.. I have NEVER seen interference from an electrical wire. The NEC does this just to be sure that the low voltage and the high voltage does not come in contact together. They (NEC) have NO interest in interference only your saftey. Again it is a safety issue with the NEC. NOT performance.

Gosh guys, I'm not an Engineer, and I have seen hundreds of problems involving power lines... You are right about one thing, the FCC is only interested in "Safety"... but everything else that you are talking about, is nonsence... Just because you are using Coaxial Cable, doesn't mean that the shield removes "ALL" interference.... One nick in the Coaxial Cable, and you have major problems...

Please don't post "Never Happen" analogies, with so many unknowns...

If the person, who installed these cables and or electrical lines, in the first place, doesn't understand the basics of proper cable installation, then they shouldn't be running cable...

Doctor Bob said:

If the person, who installed these cables and or electrical lines, in the first place, doesn't understand the basics of proper cable installation, then they shouldn't be running cable...

Gosh and golly Dr Bob, if we all followed this line of thinking then we would still consider a horse to be fast transportation. :rolleyes:

Really, then I guess you chime in with the idea that just anyone can wire a house, eh... LOL

I didn't realize that I was on a DIYS no mater if you burn down the house, site... Sorry my mistake, and I will correct it... Bye!

Ever heard of BULLETPROOF VESTS?

These doofus think shielding is totally interference proof right next to an electrical wire.

I also agree that it wouldnt cut out signal completely.. sure, it can interfere and is not ideal, but not to the point that you wont get ANYTHING thru the wire...

I will conceed that it should be further away, however for practicalitys sake, I believe I can say its not causing this problem.

EDIT: So, Dr. Bob.. I see you have an example of someone burning down their house by putting coax within 6" of romex? I guess 99% of houses out there are fire hazards waiting to happen then?

.... That signature line of yours still cracks me up :)

Nearly every coax input cable runs alongside the 110 volt wire going to the same device, but I have NEVER remedied a hum or any other audible or visual interference by separating the 110 volt wire and the input coax.

I know this post is old, but it comes up on search engines when looking for this situation. To all that say that you have never seen it, that does NOT mean that it can't happen. I have been in the low voltage industry for 16 years and I have seen it happen several times. To Van's comment. Dr Bob didn't say anything that would remotely compare to still using horses. You should know the basics of anything before you attempt to do it. As far as trying new things, ie inventing, that is usaully done and tested in controlled environments first. To Ultatryon Dr Bob was using an extreme example, but yes I have also seen a house catch fire due to this type of situation. Just remember that just cause YOU haven't seen it, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts