RG6 quad shield

Status
Please reply by conversation.

andya612

Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
Houston, Texas
I ran RG6 quad shield to my garage for 4 tvs. 75ft underground to a 1x4 splitter, homerun cables to 3 tvs, split last one on a 1x2 splitter. DTV came to hookup, added wholehome, ran regular receiver for last tv. He used my home dvr as master. Picture would intermitting drop on each of these tvs. DTV came out and said the cable I used was the problem. I attached the reel I used, Has anyone had this problem before? any help would be appreciated. swm3 lnb.

Attachments

• IMG_2589.jpg
    IMG_2589.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 259
Looks like the coax is from Lowes?

It's not bad cable.
I've used the Non Quad shield .
It should be fine as long as it's 3GHz which I'm sure it is.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Yes, its from Lowes. I think the tech didn't know what to do. I asked him to mount another dish on the garage to shorten the run, that's when he complained about the cable.

Yes, its from Lowes. I think the tech didn't know what to do. I asked him to mount another dish on the garage to shorten the run, that's when he complained about the cable.
The tech who did an install for me noted the existing quad shield cable from outside into my house. He said they don't use it for new installs but he just needed to take extra time with his compression tool to make sure the connector was attached correctly.

Reactions: Troch77
The tech who did an install for me noted the existing quad shield cable from outside into my house. He said they don't use it for new installs but he just needed to take extra time with his compression tool to make sure the connector was attached correctly.
I think that's just it, the Compression fittings are a pain in the ass with Quad shield.
The F connectors are tight, takes a lot of force and twists.
That's the reason I didn't buy quad.
But there is nothing wrong with that cable.
But I've used just a touch of vasolene , and that helps.
Just don't get it on your fingers, or you won't be able to twist on the F connector.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

The installer likely didn't have the correct fitting that matched the coax type. Sounds like you landed a newbie installer and not an experienced technician.

Regular RG6 fittings are too small of diameter opening to fit on RG6 quad shield or RG6 flooded coax cable types.

For RG6 quad shield coax, use the proper RG6Q compression fitting designed for the larger diameter and it will slip right on. :)

If the fit is still tight when using the proper fitting on the matching coax type, heating the jacket will help the compression fitting to be easily installed.

Just my 02 cents. I self-installed a few years ago and had 2 runs that were 125 feet long. They worked fine with RG6 Quad until I upgraded to SWM and Wholehome. They would not talk to the SWM16. I had ran them along the outside eave as that area was a flat roof. I ran a shorter piece across the carpet to the SWM16 and they worked. I picked up a fishtape and pulled 2 new lines thru the flat area. They are about 90 feet long now.

You say you have 75 feet, then several runs but no lengths listed for those. Possible you are too long on those. I know they make line extenders but I never tried one.

(spelling - key board forgot how to spell)

Thanks for all the input. I feel confident the wire is good, agree tech did not have proper crimp tool or connectors. My lengths from splitter is about 10ft, 20, and 30. Had 3 techs out, have to unplug to reboot small box relievers each time they drop out, sometimes reboot dvr master in my house.

could be an issue with the tuners on the genie as well. or general hr-34 weirdness if thats what is installed.

the D* approved fittings do work on quad shield, its just a PITA. and not all quad shield is the same, sometimes its easier than others. usually depends on how easy that 2nd layer of foil comes off imo.

Hired a outside contractor and believe they found the problem. Seems the last receiver on the splitter from the 3rd TV was causing the problem. (Wiring described in 1st post). Some kind of feedback, was over my head or bs, whatever, it's working for now.They ran a home run rg6 to last receiver and put a 1x8 splitter in place of 1x4.. thanks for all the input and suggestions.

as a general rule, you want to use the smallest splitter possible. especially when dealing with long cable runs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts