RIP Harry Kalas

Another day that shakes the baseball family. He was a class act and a great announcer. I think his work with NFL films is what I will remember the most though. A voice that will not be replaced.

Curt Schilling pays his respects:

Harry Kalas RIP.04.13.09 at 3:50 pm ET
By Curt Schilling | 9 Comments

He is and always will be one of the all time greats. In my 10 years in Phildelphia and 13 years elsewhere Harry was the only member of the media any team I’ve ever been around, accepted as a true member of the team.
For the 10 years I was in Philadelphia Harry was the only member of the media ever allowed to ride on the players bus. He was in the truest sense of the meaning, one of us. He was as close, if not closer, to some members of the team than other teammates.
In addition to the professional accolades he was one of my all time favorite people. I had the privilege and honor of sharing some great and personal memories with Harry throughout my time in Philadelphia.
If you were to put a Mount Rushmore of Philadelphia sports up, Harry would have to be one of the four faces on that mountain.
Personally speaking I can honestly say that hearing Harry’s voice as the ‘call’ on some of my professional accomplishments is an all time memory and incredible honor I’ll be forever grateful for.
Harry you will be greatly missed as someone who never “swung and missed! Struck him right on outta there”
God Bless and Rest in Peace

I remember when Kalas arrived as a Phillies announcer. I thought he was just using the Phillies as a temporary stepping stone to the New York market. But I grew to appreciate the teaming of Kalas and Richie Ashburn as a broadcast team. Also he was a great replacement for John Facenda as a voice of the NFL films. I choose to use a smily face for the fond memories.

I never heard him do the Phillies, but he was the "Voice of God" on NFL films. Unmistakable voice.

Guys,

I just read this story in the NY Times and it warmed my heart and made me do something I haven't done in some time...smile a big grin. ENJOY!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The story that might best capture the Kalas-Ashburn pairing concerned late-running games, hunger and a thinly disguised order placed to a South Philadelphia pizzeria, Celebre's. We'll let Kalas, as he recalled in an interview with Philly's WIP Radio last year, take it from there:
"If it was a long game and Whitey would be getting hungry, he'd say, 'Well, I wonder if those people down at Celebre's Pizza are listening tonight.' Within 15 minutes, two pizzas would be delivered to the booth. This went on for a couple of months.
"Now, Phillies management called Whitey and they said, 'Rich, Celebre's is not a sponsor. You can't be throwing their name out there on the air all the time.'
"So, shortly after he was told this, maybe two or three weeks, there's an extra innings game; he's really hungry, and we do birthday wishes. Whitey said, 'Well, Harry, we have special birthday wishes tonight: To the Celebre twins, Plain and Pepperoni.' "Fifteen minutes later, the pizzas arrived." :hungry:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone here said it best. "You HAVE to smile when you think about Harry. He died doing what he loved and (seemingly) did not suffer. We should all be so lucky...and so damn HAPPY!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)