Road to Omaha

When two 1-0 teams play each other, what happens to the winner and loser, since there are no eliminations?
The loser falls into the loser's bracket and the winner gets 3 days off. The team that makes it out of the loser's bracket has to then beat the winner twice to get into a 2 out of 3 game final for the championship.

Did I make any sense with that?

Texas comes back from 6 runs down to beat Arizona St 10-6. Mike Leake got shelled in spite of getting spotted a big lead.

Wednesday's matchup

Virginia vs Arkansas 7 ET ESPN2

Thursday's matchup

Arizona St vs North Carolina 7 ET ESPN

Arkansas beats Virginia 4-3 in a 12-inning game.

This is one of those point/counterpoint situations- either Virginia squandered a lot of chances, or Arkansas was lucky to get out of a lot of jams.

(Honestly, I think the Hogs were a bit lucky to win- they got themselves into bad situations, yet somehow stayed alive.)

Cinderella is still alive- can they stay on track and be this year's Fresno State or will their luck run out?

This is one of those point/counterpoint situations- either Virginia squandered a lot of chances, or Arkansas was lucky to get out of a lot of jams.

(Honestly, I think the Hogs were a bit lucky to win- they got themselves into bad situations, yet somehow stayed alive.)

Cinderella is still alive- can they stay on track and be this year's Fresno State or will their luck run out?
That is a gut wrenching loss for Virginia. They had runners in scoring position in the last four innings of the game and couldn't get anyone in AND they had a guy thrown out at home to end the 8th.

Give credit to Arkansas. They got a huge 2 run HR with 2 out in the 9th to tie it and some clutch pitching to get out of all the jams.

McCoy will probably be happy since LSU now gets to face Arkansas again and they've already beaten them 3 out of 4 times this season and they just need one more win to advance to the championship. Plus Arkansas blew threw 2 starting pitchers tonight.

McCoy will probably be happy since LSU now gets to face Arkansas again and they've already beaten them 3 out of 4 times this season and they just need one more win to advance to the championship. Plus Arkansas blew threw 2 starting pitchers tonight.

LSU only needs one win?

I truly am confused by the format of the College World Series; I thought it would be a one-game elimination game or 2-of-3.

LSU only needs one win?

I truly am confused by the format of the College World Series; I thought it would be a one-game elimination game or 2-of-3.
No. LSU just needs to beat Arkansas once to advance because Arkansas has already lost one game. Arkansas, OTOH, needs to win 2 straight over LSU to advance because LSU is unbeaten in the CWS.

This is the same format they use in the regionals except they cram all the games into 4 days so the teams coming throgh the loser's bracket there have to win 4 games in 3 days.

Virginia should have won that game in the 9th but the guy at second just stood there for a few seconds before running.

LSU only needs one win?

There are two halves to the tournament. On one side undefeated LSU only needs one win over Arkansas, who has one loss, to advance to the finals. On the other side undefeated Texas only needs one win over the winner of UNC/Ariz.St (the loser of this will be eliminated and the winner will have one loss). Arkansas and UNC/Ariz.St. would each have to beat LSU and Texas twice to advance to the finals.

In the finals, the slate is wiped clean. It's then a 2 out of 3 tournament for the CWS champion.

Here's a link to the brackets (guess I could've posted this first and saved me some typing):

NCAA Men's College World Series 2009

There are two halves to the tournament. On one side undefeated LSU only needs one win over Arkansas, who has one loss, to advance to the finals. On the other side undefeated Texas only needs one win over the winner of UNC/Ariz.St (the loser of this will be eliminated and the winner will have one loss). Arkansas and UNC/Ariz.St. would each have to beat LSU and Texas twice to advance to the finals.

In the finals, the slate is wiped clean. It's then a 2 out of 3 tournament for the CWS champion.

Here's a link to the brackets (guess I could've posted this first and saved me some typing):

NCAA Men's College World Series 2009

Big day tomorrow mccoy.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to keep with my '09 tradition. While, I will were the LSU shirt and baseball cap to the office that I've worn every game since the SEC championship, and while I will stream the game on ESPN360 at my desk to replicate the act of watching at home, I think my job will have a problem with the 24 oz. LSU Tervis Tumbler full of Baccardi and Coke refilled 2-3 times during the game. Hopefully no adverse effects of this tragedy are felt by the team and I promise, I will be home by the 7th inning to fulfill (or just fill) the last part of my ritual to bring the Tigers success.

Big day tomorrow mccoy.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to keep with my '09 tradition. While, I will were the LSU shirt and baseball cap to the office that I've worn every game since the SEC championship, and while I will stream the game on ESPN360 at my desk to replicate the act of watching at home, I think my job will have a problem with the 24 oz. LSU Tervis Tumbler full of Baccardi and Coke refilled 2-3 times during the game. Hopefully no adverse effects of this tragedy are felt by the team and I promise, I will be home by the 7th inning to fulfill (or just fill) the last part of my ritual to bring the Tigers success.

I'll try to make up for your lack of beverage on my end and see what happens, if I can still see.
crossfingers.gif
:D Enjoy the game.

Icongeauxtigers.png

After watching the North Carolina/Arizona State game, all I have to say:

Oy.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
That was UGLY. Our pitchers looked like Ricky Vaughn in the beginning of Major League before he got the glasses. :rolleyes: Congrats to Arizona St. They did a nice job taking walks and getting hit by pitches. :up Seriously though, the red head kid killed us and Spence, the Aussie pitcher, was nasty.

Good luck to LSU. They seem to have a good team so I wouldn't mind seeing them win it all.

I'll try to make up for your lack of beverage on my end and see what happens, if I can still see.
crossfingers.gif
:D Enjoy the game.

Icongeauxtigers.png

Thanks in advance for stepping up to the plate and indulging in some adult beverages for me! :smug You're a true testament to LSU fans everywhere.

I've decided to go ahead and shed this place around 2-2:30 today though. That should put me home mixing a cocktail by the middle of the 3rd. :up

GEAUX TIGERS

In about 48 hrs I'm hoping for another Arkansas/Arizona St series with the same result as before :D...
May your hopes be dashed meathead. ;)

That was UGLY. Our pitchers looked like Ricky Vaughn in the beginning of Major League before he got the glasses. :rolleyes: Congrats to Arizona St. They did a nice job taking walks and getting hit by pitches. :up Seriously though, the red head kid killed us and Spence, the Aussie pitcher, was nasty.

Good luck to LSU. They seem to have a good team so I wouldn't mind seeing them win it all.
Sorry about UNC's loss anders. I had to leave about the 3rd inning and it looked pretty good for the Tarheels then. What happened?

Thanks for the LSU support. I think the Tigers have benefited some from an easy bracket. Hope I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance for stepping up to the plate and indulging in some adult beverages for me! :smug You're a true testament to LSU fans everywhere... :up

GEAUX TIGERS
Happy to help a fellow Tiger fan. :D

You need to come around more often during football season and show these guys what good sports SEC fans really are. There are some Gator and Tide fans on here that are making the SEC look bad. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)