Robert Yates retires number 88

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
espn.com was reporting earlier that robert yates announced today he is retiring the number 88 from his stable at the end of the season. he is then going to turn the number over to rick hendrick, so that dale jr can use the number next season. said yates, ralph earnhardt use to drive the number 88. he believes jr should carry the tradition by driving 88 next season.

btw, jr's new cars were revealed this afternoon. mountain dew, amp and the national guard will be his sponsors. i hate the paint schemes!!

Haven't seen the car yet. But I can imagine at least 3 different shades of green !sadroll...BLECH!

At the same time, that was pretty decent of Yates to give the number to Jr.

Probably simalar to Jeff Gordon's UGLY Nicorrette car scheme.

The info about the 88 was out late last week.

Jimbo

I sent some pics to a co-worker who's a Jr. fan...his response back was classic:

"Looks like someone threw up on Dale Jarrett's car"

LOL

I kinda like the paint scheme, I'm sure it will grow on people.
Earnhardt said "You'll like it", he likes it ....

We have yet to see the Pepsi paint scheme.

I don't mind the paint scheme, it's the sponsors products I don't like.

Jimbo

guys, i'm fully aware the number thing has been out there for a week. i started this thread because yates actually retired the number and asked nascar to transfer to hendrick because of its connection to junior's grandpa. i thought that was classy....especially, in cpmparison to the troubles junior had with teresa over the number 8!

guys, i'm fully aware the number thing has been out there for a week. i started this thread because yates actually retired the number and asked nascar to transfer to hendrick because of its connection to junior's grandpa. i thought that was classy....especially, in cpmparison to the troubles junior had with teresa over the number 8!

But, but,but, NASCAR said "We DON'T RETIRE NUMBERS" At least thats what they've said for the last several years.

Jimbo

IMO there's very little good left in NA$CAR, but Robert Yates is one of the best, but also one of the last. Kudos to him, and I wish him good luck in his retirement. Robert has been around a long time, seen a lot, my wife and I were discussing just yesterday that we think that Robert has had enough of the 'new' NA$CAR and is retiring.

Can't say I blame him. :)

i agree totally. i met robert once during testing here one winter. he actually took time to talk with me. i wanted to tell him what a class act he had been, especially after he lost davey and then ernie irvan had that near fatal wreck. robert hung in there and still managed to win a championship with dale jarrett (another great guy). too bad, he didn't win more.

NASCAR did not retire the number, Yates Racing retired it from their team. It's just another way of saying they released it.

Yeah, and I don't remember seeing anything that says Robert Yates is retiring either.

I have always been a Chevy fan (Childress, DEI, not Hendrick), but I have always thought that RYR was a first class organization and that Robert Yates was good people. It is a shame to see them doing so poorly and to see Robert leaving the team. I think they went downhill fast after Dale left.................

I have always been a Chevy fan (Childress, DEI, not Hendrick), but I have always thought that RYR was a first class organization and that Robert Yates was good people. It is a shame to see them doing so poorly and to see Robert leaving the team. I think they went downhill fast after Dale left.................

and i'd be willing to bet that DJ would tell you off the record, he wish he had stayed at yates.

Pepsi & Mountain Dew I don't care about, but the National Guard I do.
Coincidently it's the paint scheme I like best of them. The dark blue is really nice.

I thought the same thing, but I forgot to mention the National Guard as the main object for me was to see what the GREEN was gong to look like, at least it's not look Gordon's Niccorrette car.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)