RochesterNY_locals Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rathamill

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
LocalsMissing

Since last Oct. Rochester NY channels 31(Fox) and 13(ABC), have been for the most part not avialable, that is searching for signal in eastern canada. Just a few days ago, I lost channel 21(PBS). My receiver is an HR21/200 model with a slmeline five. Can anyone shed some light as to what is happening with these locals?

WHAM, WXXI,AND WUHF are on 99s transponder 18. WHEC AND WROC are on 103s transponder 22. Check those signal levels. The spot beams are sometimes changed a bit. You may well be too far to get a strong enough signal. The other possibility is that your dish has moved slightly. If your signal strengths on 99c and 103ca/cb are low, your dish probably needs adjusting.
Edit: I just checked the maps and eastern Canada is definitely out of the normal signals for Rochester.

Thanks for info, but I thought those locals were on sat 119(according to lyngsat info). I checked 99(s) tp 18 and getting 0, but tp's 22 and 23 getting 97's. On 103(s), tp 22 I'm getting 98, so I don't think the dish needs adjustment. Where can I get a current tp list with channels, lyngsat must not be up to date.

Sounds like you are out of the spotbeam for the 99 transponder. What do your signals on 99c look like? If in the 90s the dish is aimed on you are SOL as far as Rochester locals go.

When you said you have an HR21, I assumed you were looking for the hd channels, which are on the satellites I mentioned. The sd channels are on 119 and are all on transponder 31. Check those numbers. Are you getting 8 CBS and 10 NBC? Those are on 103.

Sat 99c I'm getting the following numbers 74 82 74 82 73 80 72 82 on tp's 1 thru 8, and tp's 9 thru 14 getting 72 80 72 81 76 80. Also, CBS and NBC, are coming great on sat 119. You mention those are on Sat 103, which one 103(S),(CA) or (CB).

With 99c in the 70s I think you need to repeak your dish, then when you have 99c in the 90s see if you can get that 99s transponder you are after.

Sat 99c I'm getting the following numbers 74 82 74 82 73 80 72 82 on tp's 1 thru 8, and tp's 9 thru 14 getting 72 80 72 81 76 80. Also, CBS and NBC, are coming great on sat 119. You mention those are on Sat 103, which one 103(S),(CA) or (CB).

103s and 99s is where the local hd channels are. 99c and 103ca/cb are the national channels. jcrandall suggested correctly that you should try and repeak your dish. Being where you are, you may not be able to get any better. Did you check the numbers on 119?

Do you mean SD locals or HD locals, because they come from different satellites?

First of all let me mention that two other friends with similar receivers all lost those channels at the same time. As I mentioned in my previous post, sat 99S, I am getting some good numbers on a few tps, so tweaking the dish should not make any difference. BTW, all numbers on 119 are in the HI 90's. Something has happened to the signal at my location. Its possible the pattern from the spot has nulls which are in my area. Another strange situation, another friend within a few miles from me has neverlost those channels and he has a receiver with a pvr, not sure of the model number.

Like I said earlier, eastern Canada is outside of the footprint of the Rochester spot beam.

Your not correct in your statement, I as I mentioned in my previous post my friend has never lost those channels, and he is only a few klicks away. Prior to last October these channels have always been available here. So your comment that the spot beam doesn't hit my area is false.

Either your dish is not peaked or you are out of the spotbeam. That is all there is to it, so pick.

Personally, I'd try peaking the 99c satellite on your dish before arguing over the spotbeam.

You did not answer my question. Are you trying to get the SD locals or the HD locals?

Your not correct in your statement, I as I mentioned in my previous post my friend has never lost those channels, and he is only a few klicks away. Prior to last October these channels have always been available here. So your comment that the spot beam doesn't hit my area is false.

Does he get the channels in hd or sd?

Ok guys, it seems that directv is screwing around with the spot signal, just in time for the oscars, all three locals are back. i did a tp check on 99S, and tp 18, getting a low number of 43, but receiver is locking on signal, so tomorrow I will tweak the dish and try to get the highest number on tp 18.

It would be helpful if you answered the questions that texasbrit and I asked.

I am trying to get ch31(FOXHD), ch13(ABCHD). Channels 8(CBS) and 10((NBC) never lost them. The last two are SD and on 119 and all tp's are above 80. Also, ch21(PBS) is also on 119.

I am trying to get ch31(FOXHD), ch13(ABCHD). Channels 8(CBS) and 10((NBC) never lost them. The last two are SD and on 119 and all tp's are above 80. Also, ch21(PBS) is also on 119.
That makes more sense. The SD channels are all on the 119 satellite and the SD spotbeam is much wider than the HD one. With a signal strength of only 43 on the 99s spotbeam, it is surprising that you even get a signal lock. You must be right at the edge of the spotbeam. That's also why your friends might get slightly better signal than you do. DirecTV is almost certainly not "screwing around" with the spotbeams, just slight changes in weather conditions can affect the signals.

Why are you trying to watch some channels in SD and others in HD? If you watch them all in SD there would be no problems...

Tomorrow is going to be mostly sunny, so I will try to tweak the dish to maximize to sgnal on 99S, TP18. IF that doesn't work then I'll change the slimline5 for a slimline3. Also, does anyone have a list of tp/channels for sats 99C and 99S and 103.?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

7.99 protection plan

Remote problem with Genie RVU-C31 Client Receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts