Roger Goodell mulling over idea of eliminating kickoffs

Amen yaz and Goodell is doing everything to make that happen ...grrrrrrrrrr the No Fun League :)

The gist for those who don't click the link:

Replace every kickoff with a 4th and 15 play at your own 35. You can try and go for it, or punt it. So a punt would replace many kickoffs.

I actually kinda like that idea. Hate onside kicks, but a 4th and 15 instead of every kickoff... kinda neat.

Concussions related to kickoffs are down 40% compared to the year prior, after moving it to the 35. Remember all the outrage about that...? Sure did end up being a whole lot of nothing.

If this doesn't happen I think kickoffs will continue to get tweaked until we'll wish they did. No other play has people running the length of the field just to run into each other.

Replace every kickoff with a 4th and 15 play at your own 35. You can try and go for it, or punt it. So a punt would replace many kickoffs.

I actually kinda like that idea. Hate onside kicks, but a 4th and 15 instead of every kickoff... kinda neat.

Concussions related to kickoffs are down 40% compared to the year prior, after moving it to the 35. Remember all the outrage about that...? Sure did end up being a whole lot of nothing.

If this doesn't happen I think kickoffs will continue to get tweaked until we'll wish they did. No other play has people running the length of the field just to run into each other.

That's Greg Schiano's idea, Goodell wants to get rid of them completely.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said that he's taken it under consideration to remove the kickoff entirely.

"It's an off-the-wall idea. It's different and makes you think differently. It did me," Goodell told TIME in a cover story for the Dec. 17 issue.

That's Greg Schiano's idea, Goodell wants to get rid of them completely.

Yeah, I don't see how they get rid of them entirely. Have to have some kind of contention for possession. Love Schiano's idea though.

This is the kind of off the wall stuff that I wish could be included in Madden, and through a commissioner mode be able to enact with enough votes from owners and stuff. Same with NCAA games and changing the postseason format. Could do that with a lot of things. /videogamederail.

Player safety is great,ruining the game of American pro football is not.The kickoff is as important to the game as any other play.They have already tampered with it to the point KO Tds are rarer and rarer.Just think of all the players that would lose jobs too.There are probably a dozen or so players or so per team who's main job is special teams.Most of those players make minimum wage but,are more than happy to play in that role.The guys making the big bucks are the ones pushing for more safety.The way I see it,if you don't want to risk getting a concussion don't play football.It's a novel idea.

Don't like Schiano's idea either!How many teams would just simply go for it on 4th and 15?Ncaa has started having touch backs come out to the 25 yard line instead of the 20.While I'm not crazy about that idea it's certainly better than eliminating them or 4th and 15.:rolleyes:

I use to love being on special teams and lining up and get ready to hit someone in high school, not going to lie that was fun, especially if you could hit..sad to see them talking about taking this out.

I use to love being on special teams and lining up and get ready to hit someone in high school, not going to lie that was fun, especially if you could hit..sad to see them talking about taking this out.

Good thing Goodell isn't president of the boxing commission.I guess he would have them wearing helmets and balloon inflated gloves.

I say they go to "neighboorhood" rules...All time QB, one Mississippi, two Mississippi....:)

Let me say this about football, you know the risks you take playing..heck even my 3 year old does...we are signing up my 5 year old to start some football stuff and my 3 year old said you are going to hurt your knees brady and brady replied, thats part of the game mikey its okay....

I wonder how many kickoffs result in touchbacks, placing the ball at the 20-yard line, or runs that don't get past the 20-30 yard line ? I don't think that the small number of times that a kickoff is ran back 90-100 yard for a touchdown would skew the "average kickoff return" either as it occurs so rarely.

I mean, unless it is ran back, kickoffs are rather boring. It's not like punts where a kicking team player can run downfield as fast as the ball, time things just right, and blast the punt returner at the right instance (presuming he doesn't call for a fair catch).

It is an interesting idea, thinking outside the box and all, but most likely too radical to implement...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)