Roku 1

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Just bought one. I'm disappointed in it. For one, it doesn't have an automatic wifi setup so I was a bit ticked off that I had to manually enter the 64 character WPA key. And I had to provide a credit card just to be able to use the box (Apple AppStore does this nonsense also even though I was downloading a FREE app) - I'm already paying for Netflix. Why do these companies do this? When I'm ready to buy something THEN I'll give them my credit card number. And then there's the issue where the Netflix menu is different. As a matter of fact, the Netflix menus are different on all 3 of my streaming boxes. I had thought of getting another D-Link MovieNite since I like it's menu better but it has a bug that keeps logging me out of Netflix which requires that I re-enter my e-mail address and Netflix password. I wonder what's going to happen when when my current TV dies and I have to get a SmartTV. Is that going to be yet another Netflix menu? Why can't these menu schemes be standardized?

May I ask why you bought a Roku 1? That box is a dinosaur in terms of its capabilities as compared with the current boxes. There are a lot of channels and features you're not going to get with that box, including the updated Netflix interface. Also, I know of no device where you don't have to manually enter your WPA key to set it up on the network. If you didn't, it would kind of defeat the whole purpose of securing the network in the first place.

I think some of you are confused as to the new numbering/name scheme.

Roku 1 does not refer to the original Roku, which would be very lacking compared to the new devices.
The current Roku 1 is the new entry/second level box (after the LT) followed by Roku2, and Roku 3. All three are fully capable of current gen interfaces and channels.

http://www.roku.com/products/compare

We love our roku2.Yes I do have to enter the wpa2 key manually,but that was only once.I can see your point about the cc info,and the different interfaces,the PS3 and WDTV live plus my daughter has,all have different netflix menus.

I have the new current gen ROKU 1 it has the same streaming functionality as the Roku 2 and 3 including the updated interface the differences being some things like headphone jacks in the remote ,RF remote rather than infrared not related to WI FI streaming
other than dual band router compatibility on the 2 and 3 . The 3 also has a second remote with some additional gaming functionality .

The Roku 3 Provides HDMI out only no analog audio out (RCA ) or composite SD video it does have a headphone jack in the remote and adds a wired Ethernet option .

The 3 has a faster CPU/GPU I doubt the difference is significant to the user though ,the 1 is pretty fast compared to older ROKU.
The difference from my older HD 2500 to the new ROKU 1 is very significant (improved and faster)

The ROKU 1 and 2 both use the BCM­7218 600 MHz CPU /GPU and 256MB Ram , the 3 uses the BCM­11130 900 MHz and also 256 MB ram .The 3 also adds an Micro SD slot and some other features some folks may prefer. The 1 ramps up to super HD on Netflix faster than my PS3 likewise for Amazon HD and is more consistent.
overall . Ofc Roku used to be part of Netflix so I can imagine who gets the best encodes .

Last edited:
May I ask why you bought a Roku 1? That box is a dinosaur in terms of its capabilities as compared with the current boxes.

The Roku 1 is still being manufactured and sold and the latest version of the Roku 1 is quite capable. It doesn't a have a wi-fi based remote, it doesn't support the Roku Youtube channel and it doesn't have ethernet, USB & microSD slots but it is by no means a dinosaur. In fact it has the same processor that the Roku 2 has. And it supports 1080p video and has analogue jacks to accommodate older equipment that the Roku 3 does not have. Unless you are a gamer who needs extra memory from a microSD card in most cases you will do fine with a Roku 1.

You can click PAST the credit card requirements. It bugs me to do enter one, but I never have... (I've had a box since 2009 apparently) but you just click on!
Did this for two Roku updates to the "2XS" boxes in the past few weeks.

Still running an ORIGINAL roku on the "treadmill TV"....where I don't need all the latest channels, just the "usual" run of the mill stuff.
(liked the component output as well as hdmi and standard....used it on a Samsung TV with component input and no HDMI for quite a while!

Soon to replace that original (roku) in favor of a 2XS. Just removed an 'XD" from my home when the refurb 2XS sales appeared. Liked the XD, had standard jacks for audio video, and GREAT performance. Only upgraded for additional channels. Otherwise, any of the older ones work fine for basic needs.

I just setup a Roku 3, and they also have Paypal as a choice instead of a credit card. I use Paypal for almost all web based orders, so as to limit the people/websites that have access to my credit card numbers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts