Roku 2 HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Best Buy has them, bought one on Sunday.

I went to Best Buy and picked the $99 XS model over the weekend. I ran into some trouble getting the unit to update and then link it to my Roku.com user. I'm not sure why I could only get the thing to update using a wired connection, and then I think my other problem was because the unit wasn't hitting whatever they use to sync the time. The time was an hour off. You can only change the timezone and format, you can't manually set the clock yourself. So the activation would fail to bring up a code without really trying and it wasn't until I reset it a couple times that it finally was the correct time that the activation code would come up.

I did like that all my channels carried over from my other Roku when it synced up with the Channel Store so all I really needed to do was arrange the channels in the order I liked. My other issue was with the 8GB MicroSD card I bought with the unit. My first mistake was putting the SD card in there right away as the unit ships with a software version that the old units use. After updating, the SD card still wasn't recognized. It wasn't until I pulled it out and then pushed it back in again that a window popped up on the screen telling me that it was going to format it. It took forever to format and then the channel store started to sync again and not knowing what it was doing, I stopped it. I looked high and low for some menu to manage the SD card. Well that's not how it works! After reading the support dock, the channel store sync that happens after formatting it copies any channels can't fit onto the device onto the SD card. So I deleted Angry Birds because it was slowing the device down to a crawl and then re-added the channel. THIS time, it installed it onto the SD card. What a pain!

So once I went through all that the device ran much smoother. I like the new UI design, it looks much better than the plainer look of the 1st-gen units. The devices shape is also pleasing to the eye. When the older units were like paperback books, these new ones are like one of those McDonald's Cheeseburgers. (Damn it it's about lunch time.) And the new game remote does the job pretty well. A great upgrade to an already great product.

Disappointed that this new Roku XS does not have optical.
I ran out of hdmi inputs on my receiver.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to ship this back to Roku.

Seriously what were they thinking. I still know a ton of people who still use them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)