Which Blu-ray player is best?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

w6pea

"Old Jarhead"
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 21, 2011
Mexifornia aka San Diego, Ca.
Okay,
I have been looking into buy a new Blu-Ray unit for here in my home. I have a Sony DVD player that seems to want to eat the DVD's we put in it lately.
I was looking for one not made in China. It's bad enough that none are made here in the USA, and with the problems in Japan these days I think they will become very pricey. Soon.

Most players are made/assembled in China, even some of the top players: Oppo, Denon, etc. There are a few companies that are contracted. Panasonic has been one of the most reliable players on the market with very good support, second only to Oppo. Their products are reliable, excellent picture quality. I've had most Panasonic models since the format started and they all still work perfectly.

S~

I'm enjoying my Sony BDP-S770. Great player that has tons of features. It's fully internet enabled with Gracenote Support, You Tube Streaming, Pandora and Slacker Internet Radio, Netflix and a bunch of other internet stuff. I originally wanted the Sony BDP-1700ES but that is pretty hard to come by so I went with the highest end non ES model available which is the S770. The player does an awesome job with 3D and came with a free copy of Monster House 3D.

Maybe more than you're planning on spending, but my PS3 has been flawless. I don't use it for gaming. The only drawback I can comment on is that it cannot output 3D video and HD audio simultaneously. Otherwise, an outstanding player.

Stay away from Sony. The players work good but if you like streaming movies, the Netflix interface plain old sucks!!! You have to go to your pc to add movies to your Que. Most blu players now have the software to add or search right from the player.

The PS3 is getting old in the tooth and when you watch 3D movies it won't pass lossless sound, it only does 5.1

The PS3 is getting old in the tooth and when you watch 3D movies it won't pass lossless sound, it only does 5.1

Maybe more than you're planning on spending, but my PS3 has been flawless. I don't use it for gaming. The only drawback I can comment on is that it cannot output 3D video and HD audio simultaneously. Otherwise, an outstanding player.
;)

Its actually ridiculously expensive if you dont plan to use it for anything other than movies. That and the fact the PQ is a tad softer than new players.

Which is why I said "Its actually ridiculously expensive if you dont plan to use it for anything other than movies" :D

I saw a sharpness difference between it and my Panny player. To me it's like the oppo, if you don't need it for those "other" uses, just buy a $150 Panny.

...I haven't noticed any PQ difference from the PS3 vs any of my players...
There is no difference. Just as with any player comparison, out-of-box comparison is ridiculous. A properly calibrated PS3 (even the old fat one's) will result in the same image quality.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, when I purchased my PS3 three years ago, the selling points were accurate image quality, fast load times, and seamless & fast firmware updates. It has yet to fail to meet each of these criteria.

But to lay this to rest, the PS3 is not likely to be what the OP is looking for, since he understandably hinted at frugality by using the word "pricey". It is true, he can find much cheaper options with same image quality. I should never have even suggested the PS3. mea culpa

Im sorry, but "There is no difference" is inaccurate, but Im not gonna get into a PS3 argument about it. I know most of the PS3 guys are still very touchy when that comment is made, but it's PQ is not on par with new players, period. Is it bad, hell no, is it the best, hell no.

:)

I owned a BDP-1000 first, very soft on both DVD and BR. PS3 was a great upgrade, but my BD35 and BD85 offer a sharper image than a PS3. As far as properly calibrated, mine have been... It shows more in DVD, but YMMV.

Not going to go any farther on the PQ argument, (digital is digital imho, I chased the "holy grail" with audio for years... ;) ) but the PS3 is an excellent media player that streams, surfs the internet, plays music, plays data files& will access netflix, hulu etc...

Hate to bump an older thread, but Father's Day is this weekend and I might take the Blu-Ray plunge.

I too do not want a PS3. I have a teenage son and would like to retain control of my livingroom.

So,

What features to get? Any thing to avoid?

Just go to Best Buy and pick out the one that looks cool?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)