Which Blu-ray player is best?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hate to bump an older thread, but Father's Day is this weekend and I might take the Blu-Ray plunge.

I too do not want a PS3. I have a teenage son and would like to retain control of my livingroom.

So,

What features to get? Any thing to avoid?

Just go to Best Buy and pick out the one that looks cool?

Probably the later. There are different answers depending on your price point, and what's important to you.
Things to consider: 3-D, online content (netflix, amazon on demand, etc), wireless vs wired ethernet, availability of component video outputs, need for audio codecs in player vs in receiver.
There are also some performance criteria. Biggest ones to me are turn on time and load time. These can vary widely, and in some players, it can take several minutes to display a movie from a turned off state.
I know others will disagree, but all players are putting out a reasonable image lately, and if you are using an external receiver, the audio decoding is usually done there as well. A $100 player from Panasonic, LG, Samsung, etc will work about the same. Differences are in the features and load times.

Its actually ridiculously expensive if you dont plan to use it for anything other than movies. That and the fact the PQ is a tad softer than new players.
Now that maybe true. But when I bought the PS3 it was the best Blu-Ray player on the market and cost less money than the high end stand alone players that actually did less

Aside from the 3D issues with PS3, I think that it makes for a great blu-ray player. Also, gaming is fun too. I am a part time gamer and only really play a few games. I do have a panasonic in my bedroom, and it takes forever to load up and is slow operational-wise. The picture quality is good though.

Just an update I was in a Wally World the other day they had Magnivox Blu-Ray player with wireless compatible for $35.95 So I bought it. Seems to work okay. I got a copy of the Disney Fantasia/Fantasia2000 in Blu-Ray.

I never use a BD player any more. First thing I do when I get a new BD is copy the ISO onto my NAS and watch it using my popcornhour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)