Roku CEO: Blu-ray will be finished in 4 years

I think it will be more than 4 years.

Sony guy says BD could do 4k next and is far better than streaming...

Sony

Parsons: As I’ve said before, there is currently no plan to add 4K or 8K to the Blu-ray specs, so there is no official roadmap for them. But bear in mind that we still don't even have 100% penetration of HDTV sets in the U.S. (currently about 75% or so), so we're still out there promoting the benefits of HDTV to those who haven't taken the plunge yet. The home theater folks are, as always, at the bleeding edge of technology, and it's understandable that those who are clued into 4K are eager to put it to use. If and when we do decide to develop a 4K version of Blu-ray, however, I'm confident that only packaged media will have the capacity and throughput needed to do it justice, since it contains four times the picture information as 1080p — the average U.S. household bandwidth of 5 Mbps is simply not fast enough to handle 1080p reliably, let alone 4K.

mike123abc said:
Sony guy says BD could do 4k next and is far better than streaming...

Sony

Streaming can be subject to maney issues. If to maney people acess the same stream at onece can csuse hicups not to mention traffic conjestion on your conectention behind the router and at your isp. If a conection is lost your out of luck. With a disc none of this is a issue and yes hd is a lot of bandwidth

Meanwhile, as the big man took another toke, dancing bears ruled the streets.

Physical media will always be around I think. Not everyone will have access to high speed internet any time soon and even so the aforementioned data caps really hurt when it comes to streaming a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)