Roku/IP

pedrogarcia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Kalamazoo / Limassol
I have a Roku 2HD registered to my US address here and I was wondering whether I could take it to Europe and use it for netflix there on my same subscription. My though was it would retain the IP on the first registration or would Netflix check IP at the router.
In that case I would have to use a VPN?

With Roku's roll out of the service internationally channels are registered to specific markets. They have also made if difficult or perhaps now impossible to change the software on the Roku to register it in a different market from which it was purchased.

If you plan on using a VPN enabled router be sure you have a steady 5Mbs download speed at your destination. Connecting to a US server from overseas will probably halve the speed you get and using the VPN will reduce it even further. To see what the impact will be do a Speedtest to your nearest server, then retest using a server in London.

If you are staying in a hotel you probably won't have enough bandwidth to make a Roku work.

Thanks Jim I was thinking of registering the roku here in the US hoping it would retain the IP in its data memory and not search for an actual IP. What do you think? My Cyprus IP is static and I get just short of 10mbs to the US without a vpn so that should be ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)