Roku Question

Chris36

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 24, 2009
Rhode Island
I was thinking of maybe getting a Roku what's the best one out there? And did they ever fixed where you can watch Filmon.com I saw a post from earlier this year that it reboots the box or something.

Thanks,
Chris

There's a list of the available channels at their site, and some "private channel" lists posted on this site. ANY box will work well, as software (firmware) is updated automatically (and can be manually done if you're in a hurry for an update that hasn't hit your box yet.)

Biggest thing is to shop for the needs you have. Older TV? There's boxes with just standard composite video. Original box had many options (HDMI, standard video, component video, too all simultaneous).....and now the units are getting smaller. Read the features and buy for your viewing needs. Overall, a VERY good box that delivers what they promise. Keep in mind, the providers all will, at some point have difficulties which is not the fault of the Roku.

You might also join the roku forums directly. Quickets way to know what is having "issues" and what is not. (but then return here for the rest of your needs!!)

Hope you find one to enjoy!

Chris36 said:
I was thinking of maybe getting a Roku what's the best one out there? And did they ever fixed where you can watch Filmon.com I saw a post from earlier this year that it reboots the box or something.

Thanks,
Chris

Just got a Roku XD. I've been putting it through a workout. I am using ethernet over verizon dsl (basic 1mb service). I find it to work well, cirrently have it hooked up using the rca cable, tv only has one hdmi port.
PQ is fine with the exception of the few livestreams. Those are fuzzy at times.
Netflix runs better than through the Wii. Thus far I am happy. The occasional issue seems to be more on the provider side.
Definitly a lot of good stuff for free and even more crap that is free as well. A couple of the private channels are actually front ends for a conglomeration of channels, this is good because unless u have a roku2, which can use an sd card to imcrease memory, there is a finite number of channels you can subscribe too. However it is easy to delete and add back.
Depending on your viewing habits there is potential for greatly reducing the cost of tv. Especially if you have OTA already.
The only thing missing is a DVR. I'm still researching but there are a couple that at first glance might work. I'm not looking at tivo since that costs.....extra.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

My roku accepts a flash drive which is real handy for content from a computer to view on your TV through roku.

You should look at the channels available and figure out if they suit your needs. I'm not sure how big I am on doing it just for Netflix. You can get that in most modern TVs and gaming consoles. It really comes down to exclusive content.
One channel I absolutely LOVE but it's definitely a niche thing is the Pub D Hub, which stands for Public Domain Hub. As the name implies it is made up of old school tv shows, commercials, and movies that have become Public Domain. I just love watching that old school stuff that came out WAY before I was born and that my parents are ashamed to admit they actually remember seeing because it makes them sound old. They also have those old educational shorts they used to show before movies, and more notably, were watched and parodied on MST3K. To be fair, most (if not all) of what they have can probably be found on YouTube since it is Public Domain, but Pub D Hub has it all in one place and categorized quite well. Also they have TONS of content. They also have a "Gold" version that gives you even more stuff, but I have yet to find myself saying, "There's not enough here to keep me satisfied."

For a list of channels check out Roku Channel Store | Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand, Hulu Plus & More on Roku Streaming Player

Are the channels available a consideration in purchasing hardware? I was under the assumption that all current boxes worked with all available channels.

Are the channels available a consideration in purchasing hardware? I was under the assumption that all current boxes worked with all available channels.

There are a few 1080p specific channels that don't work with the original roku. For example, I know of two international new channels (live) that are 1080p only under the nowhere man's list.

I used to view Filmon when it was working, using my old roku. Not sure if they changed something and only works with the newer ones. In any case, I removed it from my box.

concord said:
There are a few 1080p specific channels that don't work with the original roku. For example, I know of two international new channels (live) that are 1080p only under the nowhere man's list.

I used to view Filmon when it was working, using my old roku. Not sure if they changed something and only works with the newer ones. In any case, I removed it from my box.

I have not found a channel, yet, that doesn't work on the original roku. Filmon does not seem to be available anymore.
I will be picking up a roku 2 soon. Like the expansion slot. Just waiting for a deal on the top model, the others do not have ethernet, I prefer to use that with primary tv.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)