Roof...or a REALLY high pole???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hi All:

The installer is coming out on Friday. I had a buddy with a meter take a look today and I only have 2 spots on my property where I can get a line of sight:

1) On the roof, near the location of a 15 year old dish left by the former owner that is not in use. Photo of this is attached. It is my understanding that an installer won't go up there. Is this correct or might they re-use the existing mount with the new dish???

2) In my yard, about 20 feet back from the house, on a pole that is 8 to 10 feet high (not including how deep in the ground it is)

I am willing to do anything...i'll even buy and install the pole myself.

Advice????
Hmm. I take it you have either a small back yard or the property slopes rather steeply.
The antenna on the roof is not a bad idea. However, most techs will not scale a steep roof like that. Especially if it's a two story house.
Even if one would accomplish this feat, the issue then becomes serviceability. If there is a malfunction or other need to get to a dish, chances are the tech that comes out will not scale your roof.
That leaves you with a pole mount.
Be advised, even a schedule 40 1 5/8' pole greater than ten feet above ground will sway in even moderate( greater than 15 mph) winds. Of course this could become a signal issue.
Since most pipe comes in 10 ft lengths, I suggest going ot an electrical supply house and buy electrical conduit which is schedule 40.. There, you'll find the correct diameter material and it can be found in 12 ft lengths. I have one in my garage right now....I used it to mount a dish at a friends apartment.
The 12 footer should allow enough of the material in the ground to offer a very sturdy mount.
I would drill holes in the part that will be below grade. Buy some short pieces of rebar or use those giant galvanized nails for fastening tie walls together. Slide them though the holes in the conduit and place the post into the hole. Pour your concrete.....I guarantee, if there is a tornado, the only thing left standing will be that pole.

How many installers will have a free standing ladder 10'+ tall? They'll want to avoid overhead work, so a shorter one and a stretch ain't gonna do it.
I own a 10 foot step ladder. Used it all the time for these unusual tall pole installs.

I think most installers carry an 18 or 24 ft ladder at all times. One of the installers here can verify that.
I was require to carry a 28 ft ladder. I think the Dish and Directv in house guys carry 32 footers. That's as tall as I was willing to handle solo.

Directv will not install a 10' pole. Nor will they support an install that is setup on one. Directv does not allow our techs to get off their ladders for any reason. But that doesn't means some installers won't do it. You can NOT use the existing mast or mount. A new one would need to be installed assuming you have los. House looks like a NLOS from the picture. But some techs may try to work with you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Depends on the line of sight. Based on the direction that antenna on the roof is pointed, it appears that if the rear portion of the lower roof will not work due to the tree.
It looks to me as if the peak of the smaller roof will work fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)