Roofmounting my Fortec Star + HH

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvdxer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
I want to mount my 80cm Fortec Star (and later a 1m dish) on my roof. We have a rather steep pitch, but it doesn't seem too steep to mount a dish and motor.

What kind of mount should I get for the roof? I've found non-penetrating roof mounts, but they seem to require concrete blocks, and I have trouble imagining the concrete blocks staying on my roof.

PSB said:
Those non-pen roof mounts are for flat roof only : (

Not quite true.

A block from me here (and in the other end of town as well) I've seen non-penetrating roof mounts for fairly steep roofs. As long as it has a peak on top. If I'm misreading everything, and the roof is ONLY / or \ not /\ , then ignore me ;)

An NPRM would probably not work well on a very steeply-pitched roof. If the roof were somewhat pitched, maybe yes. I have all of my dishes mounted on NPRM's (2 so far, looking for a 3rd NPRM now for my Toroidal). The shed roof where they are mounted is flat, so its no problem. I have them weighed down by four SOLID 4 x 8 x 16 cinder blocks, and they didn't budge during Cindy...

One thing you'll want to be careful about with a steep roof, besides falling off of course, is that the roof doesn't block your view of some of the satellites. It can also restrict the movement of the dish on birds you do have a line of sight on. I have my dish mounted on my porch roof which has very little slope. I used to be able to get Hispasat when I had an 80cm dish, but when I upgraded to a Primestar the dish would hit the roof before getting far enough east.

I want to perch it atop our roof right along the center point, so the roof itself won't block any sats. The roof is like this: /\

A penetrating mount should be OK.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)