Status
Please reply by conversation.

htguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
North of the TwinCities
Hey all,

My roomate just got ST installed. He got the the new HD DVR and a SD box for his room.

I was wondering if I bought a receiver off ebay would he be able to put it on his account so I could have ST in my room?

I have no no need for the MPEG4 channels. I get my locals OTA. I am just looking for a quick cheap stopgap solution to receive the HD ST channels.

Which receiver would be the best bet?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, and likely will need a new card, which they will gladly send overnight $20 or so up front, and ask if it be credited back after you activate it; they always have foe me.

What if the item comes with a card? Should I get the H10 or is there a better mpeg2 HD receiver. I don't care if it will be a paperweight in a few years if I get it cheap.

Thanks for the response.

unless the unit is brand new in the box and never been activated, it will require a new card

Ahh, yes, sorry. I made the assumption of being used.. My bad. Thanks Berg.

HTGUY: I prefer the line of "sisters" that are virtually 98% the same design and regarded as some of the best EVER: LG LSS-3200A, Zenith HD-SAT520, Sony SAT-HD200/300, Hughes HTL-HD

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind, your roomate needs to activate the receiver himself to his account unless you are listed on the account as being authorized to make changes. If you call DirecTV personally they aren't going to activate a receiver on someone else's account.

I have over 20 dtv units, with hd, dvr, hd dvr, hd tivo, and so on. At least 6 of them were bought on ebay. I have never had to have a new card sent out to me. A couple of them we simply put our old card in the receiver and it worked. A couple of times I was told they would have to send out a new card, and when they transfered me, the new guy on the line then paired up my card and receiver and all was well!

I have over 20 dtv units, with hd, dvr, hd dvr, hd tivo, and so on. At least 6 of them were bought on ebay. I have never had to have a new card sent out to me. A couple of them we simply put our old card in the receiver and it worked. A couple of times I was told they would have to send out a new card, and when they transfered me, the new guy on the line then paired up my card and receiver and all was well!

It depends on who you end up talking with, generally they like to send you a new card, this way you have the current access card in your receiver, you may have had a current card with the ones you activated without getting new ones. Sometimes they will swap from an existing receiver to a new reciever, but it is rare.

Jimbo

Hey all,

My roomate just got ST installed. He got the the new HD DVR and a SD box for his room.

I was wondering if I bought a receiver off ebay would he be able to put it on his account so I could have ST in my room?

I have no no need for the MPEG4 channels. I get my locals OTA. I am just looking for a quick cheap stopgap solution to receive the HD ST channels.

Which receiver would be the best bet?

Thanks for any advice.

Your roomate can get a brand new receiver for you to use right from D* for about $ 50 .

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)