Roommate moving out, how NOT to lose DVR content

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
My roommate is getting her own place and will also get DISH/Hopper service.

However, she does not want to lose her hours of DVR programs.

Dumping everything to external hard drive won't work since her new Hopper will have different account number and the hard drive won't be recognized.

Anyway around this issue?

No legal way of transferring recordings from one account to another. Sucks but that's how they keep people from sharing content with other people.

They didn't say they need two accounts, he said she didn't want to lose her recordings. If the account was in his name, that's a problem.

If there's no 'legal way' of doing it... then it's probably good-bye DISH and hello Time Warner Cable's sucky DVR ! (we get internet/phone through TWC... adding cable in a bundle package will probably only amount to less than $40 a month).

What about using Sling to keep the EHD at the original location/account so she can watch her recordings from her new place?

Last edited:
Your roommate needs to keep her account active and do a Dish Mover. You will either need to add your own Dish account, or TW if that's your preference.

Edited to add: yes dare2be; good option.

Your roommate needs to keep her account active and do a Dish Mover. You will either need to add your own Dish account, or TW if that's your preference.

Edited to add: yes dare2be; good option.

That's what I was thinking.

What I would suggest is that she gets a new account and starts dvr'ing what she wants. Best bet for you is to upgrade to a HWS(sling works better). Then let her access your dvr via Dish Anywhere to watch her programs remotely.

They didn't say they need two accounts, he said she didn't want to lose her recordings. If the account was in his name, that's a problem.

I guess the OP doesn't actually say who's account it actually is. I was just assuming it's in the OP's name since she is leaving and signing up new. If the current account is in her name she can't sign up as a new customer at the new address.

I guess the OP doesn't actually say who's account it actually is. I was just assuming it's in the OP's name since she is leaving and signing up new. If the current account is in her name she can't sign up as a new customer at the new address.

Therein lies the rub. If the account is the OP's, then it would be foolish to do a Mover because the OP would be responsible for the account that is not in their possession, financially. If the account belongs to the person moving, then there is little issue here. I'm not even game for the sling side because the moving person or a friend of that person could build up charges on the OP. Just not worth it for some DVR'd items.....

I'm with TheKrell. And if the account is in the OP's name, perhaps there can be a transfer of billing responsibility - put the account in her name.

And there's always real time SD recording to DVD or get a Hauppage.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm not even game for the sling side because the moving person or a friend of that person could build up charges on the OP. Just not worth it for some DVR'd items.....
I'm confused. How could charges be built up if they are only slinging their own DVR content? Do you mean internet cap charges?

Anyway around this issue?

I think there might be a way...but it would involve her having to purchase (NOT lease) a (2nd) Hopper receiver...

- Have roommate purchase a Hopper receiver (from E-bay, Dish Depot, etc.)
- Add this new Hopper on YOUR account (yes, you CAN have multiple Hoppers on the SAME account...)
- Move all of her programs off your receiver(s) to an external HDD - then move those same contents from the external HDD, to the new Hopper receiver you just added to your account (make sure the shows DO playback properly)
- Have the roommate get her new DISH H/J system installed; make sure the tech installs a duo-node for the 2nd Hopper to be added later
- Once the roommate's new system is up & running, bring her new (owned) Hopper to the new house & connect to the dish/node
- YOU will then have to call DISH & have the receiver removed from YOUR account; make sure you tell them you are selling it to a friend & that it will be reactivated later on their account
- Have the roommate call DISH & add the same Hopper onto HER account as an owned receiver

Because the shows ARE (now) already existing on the internal HDD, she should be able to play them back with no problems...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)