Root Sports Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Babypens99

Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
We have been Direct TV subscribers for 12 yrs. now. We went with them because they were the only provider in our area that we could get Root Sport Pittsburgh (formerly Fox Sports Pittsburgh) if we ordered the sports package at an extra $12.99 a month so we could watch Penguin and Pirates games. We live in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. which is the home of the Penguin minor league team. We have never had a problem with this package and have enjoyed viewing immensely . Last week for the Black & Gold game the broadcast was partially blacked out, it eventually came on during the second period. Alot of other people in our area had the same problem. Last night for the Rangers vs Pens, it was totally blacked out. I did not realize when it happened as I had dvr'd the game. I called DTV today and they are telling me that I will no longer get Penguin broadcasts because of the zip code I live in. (18702). I thought that was the whole reason for getting the sports package added so we could get this station.
To top this off, we just upgraded today to the Genie system because of a malfunctioning older dvr and our contract renewal was up. If we had known this other info beforehand, we probably wouldn't have done that as our local cable company now offers Root Sports Pittsburgh. We were offered the Center Ice package at a reduced price to compensate for not being able to view the games. We ended up taking it and dropping the sports package, however now we have no Pirates games or extra Penguin shows. When viewing the DTV webite, it shows Root Sports Pittsburgh as one of the channels under the sports package. This is false advertisement as far as I'm concerned.
Is what they are telling me true or is someone not informed there? Was it just blacked out because it was shown elsewhere? Thanks.

Welcome :wave

I know some teams redid their "areas" that they can claim. There were some posts about Cleveland Cavs games in PA (mainly Erie as example) where they are no longer included in the package.

When I look up the zip code for your area it shows the following
included in choice and above...YES, MSG, MSG+ and SNY
included with premier OR sports pack..Root Pittsburgh

Here is the RSN site to look
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=3450006

What department did you talk to?

As for the broadcast on other stations usually the rule of thumb is if its on NHL Net or NBCSportsNet and your RSN, you are blacked out on the NHL Net or NBCSN forcing you to watch it on the RSN. Exclusive to those 2 nets you wouldn't be blacked out

wait a minute......thought
They were playing the Rangers. Since the Rangers are on a RSN that you normally get (MSG or MSG+) I wonder if maybe D* blacked it out wrong?

That's what I originally thought happened. As a matter of fact, when the game was blacked out since I had the dvr set to record, it searched for another channel and recorded the broadcast on MSG so at least I did get to see the game althought from New York and not Pittsburgh. But when I called and the girl said I wouldn't be getting those games and I took her word for it (maybe I shouldn't have). She said she checked my zip code but now since I saw the page you referred me to and I'm seeing it there maybe there was a mistake. I would call them back now but we are still waiting since 10am for assistance on a problem we're having with the new Genie system. My son-in-law (who I live with and who's name is on the account) and I both have a headache dealing with DTV today.

I know on January 16 Root Sports Pittburgh posted on Facebook -> If experiencing blackout 2night of Pens game on DIRECTV, call DIRECTV 2 have blackout lifted from your receiver! Not sure if that was your problem or if it's on going problem.

Sunday's game was also on NHL Net so maybe (again thinking outside the box here) not everyone has sports pack so they probably opened up NHL Net for the game
But since the Rangers are technically in market for ya you could have seen it on MSG.

Talked to a nice young man at Root Sports. He said that he does not beleive our zip code should have been blocked. He is going to check on it and get back to me. Will let you know when I hear. Kudos to Root Sports for actually having someone call me back after leaving them a message. Will post when I get an answer.

If DirecTV is the problem, and Root is what you want, order the cheapest Cable package in your area that Root would be on. Or, you could order cable and drop DirecTV to its cheapest package. However, I'd say stick with DirecTV.

But its very possible the "claimed area" has changed especially in the "outer" areas

As noted above, the OP gets NY RSN's....Root Pittsburgh you need the sports pack to get

The full game, pregame, and postgame were on last night. Now I am glad that DTV screwed up and hasn't shut off my sportspack yet like we told them to so I was able to watch. I'm still waiting to hear back from the young man from Root Sports Pitt. He sounded sincere when he promised to get me an answer. Maybe Root Sports messed up as to who was blacked out and doesn't want to own up.

The full game, pregame, and postgame were on last night. Now I am glad that DTV screwed up and hasn't shut off my sportspack yet like we told them to so I was able to watch.
very good to hear. Thanks for the update
I'm still waiting to hear back from the young man from Root Sports Pitt. He sounded sincere when he promised to get me an answer. Maybe Root Sports messed up as to who was blacked out and doesn't want to own up.
maybe it was a Directv glitch....While Directv has to follow the RSN's (Root sports) blackout rules sometimes the provider (Directv or Dish or cable) has their own blackout rules when dealing with "extended" areas (like where you are)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts