Rotating LNB gives signal to frequency 12152 and 11842 but loses it for 12115

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I have tried adjusting signal on a Glorystar satellite today and can get signal on one transponder when the lnb is rotated at one location but get it in on the other two when rotated to another location. The signal strength is strong on them all but cannot get them all at one lnb setting. Note: no dish adjustments were made while rotating the lnb and quality is between 50 and 65 on those three transponders.

Any suggestions as to what is going on as to why I cannot get all the channels at the same lnb polarity position? The one position is at -19 as it should be but the other one is rotated way around from there off the scale. A simple rotation to one position gets the one set of channels in and the rotation to the other position gets the other set of channels in.

I used a First Strike meter to tune it in and the whole system came from Glorystar.

Is the receiver activated in GloryStar or Advanced mode? If in Glorystar mode and the meter is not in line, check that the receiver is outputting 18vdc on horizontal transponders and 13 vdc on vertical transponders.

If in the Advanced mode, was the meter in line when you scanned for channels? Is the meter in line when you are checking for reception on the two polarities? The meter in line will lock the polarity output of the LNBF and the receiver would be unable to control and only one polarity would be outputted from the LNBF. Manually rotating the LNBF overrides the voltage switching error.

Were any menu setting changed on the receiver? If so, which settings?

If all else fails, perform a Master Reset and reactivate the receiver. Make sure the meter is NOT in line when checking polarities with the receiver.

Last edited:
As far as I know the receiver is in Glorystar mode. It downloaded the channels.

I checked the signal with both the meter in line and not in line and got the same result on the meter and get the same result on the receiver when it is directly connected to the lnb and when it is connected through the meter.

There are no splitters, it is a single output lnb. It is a new system that the lady just ordered from Glorystar. It wouldn't be a bad cable or connector since I tried it from the lnb to the meter itself so the meter is reading the same thing the receiver is reading when I do hook back up to the receiver.

Do the lnb's go bad often?

GEOSATpro LNBFs are rarely defective due to the double testing performed at time of manufacturer.

Did you swap out to another LNBF to trouble shoot?

I would recommend that installers and technicians always carrying a spare LNBF for testing, trouble shooting and another for sales. Carrying an inexpensive and common replacement item will assist in trouble shooting and cut down on return trips.

I have not tried the spare lnb that I had with me, forgot about that. I never thought it would be a bad lnb since it picked up signal from all of them in a different position but did not think that there could have been a polarity issue. I could try putting that lnb on the setup at my house to see if I have similar results here.

Yes I did, with the strings, there was a very small space between the two strings and that was a metal dish. However, I just ran a test at my house using a used Glorystar LNB with a Coolsat receiver and am getting similar results here and I am using a 36" wide 39" tall fiberglass dish (not prone to warpage like the metal ones are). When you turn the lnb 90 degrees it gets the other set of channels in.

Sounds like a defective LNBF that is not voltage switching between horizontal and vertical. Please have your customer contact technical support at 866-597-0728 and if the system is under warranty, we will ship out a replacement LNBF at no charge.

I just tried another used lnb and the same result with it as well. That makes three lnb's that are doing the same thing. Surely they are not all bad.

Specifically describe how you are testing. Are you manually entering the polarity for the transponders? What are the transponders and polarities of each? Have you tested the receiver SAT IN to make sure horizontal transponders are at 18vdc and vertical tps are at 13vdc?

I have made a dumb error of inputting the wrong polarity and drove myself nuts diagnosing the "defective equipment" for many hours!

There must be some error with the testing method. I agree that it is HIGHLY unlikely that 3 LNBFs are defective.

I have a Dish Network FSS lnb in addition to those that I previously tested with which were made for FTA and see the same result with it as well(one was an lnb that came with a Glorystar system 2-3 years ago while the other I purchased new several years ago) so I am guessing that there is some setting that has to be off in these receivers. I have an ohm meter so I need to check and see if I can somehow get 13/18 volts on that meter. There is a setting on my digital meter that lets me select 13/18 volts on it as well.

I think the receiver settings got changed somehow and did not have correct polarization and frequency settings. I have managed to get them all in at the same lnb setting. I believe the previous installer set the receiver up wrong before I arrived to correct the issue. I sure never got that great of technical support from the person I talked to on the phone that day when trying to figure out this issue. I guess the person did not know to tell me that some sort of setting on the receiver was wrong and forgot to tell me a step to take or something.

I ended up manually putting in all the frequencies and SR into the receiver I have at my house and got all the signals in between 70% and 90%. I wish there was a way to save this information to a thumb drive or to my computer to put on the receiver that do not come from Glorystar.

Going back to post number two of this thread you were asked if the receiver was activated in the GloryStar mode. If the receiver was activated in the GloryStar mode, the transponder settings would not be wrong. It was also suggested that you perform a factory reset and reactivate the receiver.

How would the settings also be wrong on the meter and also on your home receiver? Did the previous installer change those also? LOL!!!!

There is something in this thread that is fishy and doesn't make sense. I think that we only hearing part of the story.......

I would guess that you informed the Glorystar telephone tech that all the settings were right on the receiver and your meter confirmed the problem, just like in post #3. There would be minimal trouble shooting that could be done by the GloryStar telephone support if they were told this information.

If you are coming in to fix someone else's install or perform a service call, never ASSUME that the last person did it right! Always perform a factory reset so you know that the default settings are correct. Don't use equipment to troubleshoot unless you know that the test equipment is working. Lastly, always carry a spare test LNBF!

Last edited:
When troubleshooting any equipment installed by someone else, I first check if equipment has pre-programmed ability. Starting with FLU in 2005, when AdventistSat programmed channels into factory default, then following Mercury II and GEOSATpro models of later years, i try to take advantage of the factory default. Once original settings are restored, I move onto LNBF troubleshooting. Don't laugh, but I have brand new tested lnbf (two output) in my car at all times, even when going to soccer ball game.

The thing is, when I contacted support, they gave me the steps and to make sure I was receiving a certain station at 50% quality before downloading the information in which I followed. This is why I figured I was in Glorystar mode. I did not tell them that the information was correct, was just trying to figure out if something was being overlooked. When asked to reset the receiver in this thread I was not at the customer's home to do this.

Now that I know that my lnb is working here I can take it back to the customer's house and try it along with the receiver I was able to receive the channels on to get to the bottom of the issue. Once I make sure my receiver is receiving the channels like it should be the other one should as well on that dish. As you can tell, I have not done a whole lot of these and it has been a year or so since I last did one. I got another gentleman wanting me to install one of these as well so I wanted to make sure I figured out what was going on before proceeding further as the last installer did not take the time to try to figure things out and I wanted to get their service as they really wanted it.

I thank you for your help so far as it has been very grateful and have learned a lot in this thread.

Glad we could help.

The GloryStar install procedure is to verify the Quality is at least 50% or better and balanced between (3) three preprogrammed channels, 901, 113 and 106. These three channels are a mixture of horizontal and vertical transponders. Don't update the receiver until all three of these channels are receiving picture and the Quality reading is above 50% and balanced.

Good luck on your upcoming new install!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)