Rotation Resolution?

NE8E

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
Mid Michigan
This is a tricky question to ask. I'm looking for technical info, but I lack the technical satellite language to ask it.

As a dish is told to move, it sends back closures to let the box know how far it has moved. Some dishes may have 8 per rotation, or maybe 30. What is the term for this? I would call it resolution for lack of a better term, but this would get confused with video resolution since we are talking about TV here. Anyway, I asked that question to ask this one... How much memory does the microHD have for this? The way I see it, a box could remember positions in one of two ways, it could remember the number of closures between degrees, then just count degrees, but I would suspect they actually store in memory the actual closure count for each satellite location. So if I were to crank a rotary encoder up to 30,000 closures per degree, the box would probably run out of memory in the first 4 degrees. So how much room is there for these counts? 9999? 1024? 2048? This post is probably a nightmare to read. My lack of satellite knowledge, but need for a technical answer. I do apologize.

I could call a friend who would no doubt know the answer, but I would rather not get his hopes up. He'll probably be the first to find this post anyway. DON"T GET YOUR HOPES UP! :p I need to test a few things and see if they will work first. ;)

It's funny, while designing an electronic circuit to automate one friends massive train set, I had an idea to improve another friends satellite dishes. I want to set for maximum resolution and make sure I can receive that signal flawlessly in a very difficult environment. Thank you for reading, and any help you can offer. :)

I follow what your asking, and the microHD does not directly move a dish with an actuator. For your C-Band dish you will need a V-Box or Gbox or something similar to move the dish, that can interpret DiSEqC 1.2 commands. Anyway that box will keep up with counts. Also of those the ones I have experience with, like my Vbox it can count 2000 max or I guess 1999 technically.

Ticks, clicks, or counts

Yea, the receiver does some calculations for where to aim the dish,
but the controller (as in a Ku dish motor) does the deed.

Alternately, the receiver tells a Vbox or Gbox which pre-assigned memory position to go to.
On a BUD, the controller counts contact closures of a reed switch which multiple magnets travel past.
See the Gbox review by Linuxman for more info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts