RS U120-R antenna (1 Viewer)

dapack5

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 15, 2006
23
0
is anyone familiar with this radioshack UHF only antenna? was in local radioshack yesterday and they're having a closeout on them! it'a over 8ft long ( probably close to 105 inches) it's the same uhf section from the Vu 120 combo antenna that claims to bring in UHF channels over 120 miles away. with proper height of course.
my question is: anyone whos' familiar with this setup,is it worth the 30.00 us dollars or less,who knows,it may be 10 if they still have it next weekend
 

Rick0725

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 13, 2005
330
0
usa
Tried them all over the years with my business...wade-delphi (jerrold), channel master, winegard, etc.

I prefer the winegard hd series like I mentioned earlier...someone else will say channel master...another terk...another radio shack....on and on and on.

I am sticking with my choice. Winegard hd7082P (110" long), winegard hdp269 preamp and aimed right down the middle. If you want more, the next size up HD7084P with a rotor.

You can try the radio shack if it makes you happy. You are going to need a combo for ch 9.

The 120 mile claim...come on, you are a smart man...what do you think?
 
Last edited:

dapack5

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 15, 2006
23
0
Rick0725 said:
Tried them all over the years with my business...wade-delphi (jerrold), channel master, winegard, etc.

I prefer the winegard hd series like I mentioned earlier...someone else will say channel master...another terk...another radio shack....on and on and on.

I am sticking with my choice. Winegard hd7082P (110" long), winegard hdp269 preamp and aimed right down the middle. If you want more, the next size up HD7084P with a rotor.

You can try the radio shack if it makes you happy. You are going to need a combo for ch 9.

The 120 mile claim...come on, you are a smart man...what do you think?
i'm leaning toward the setup that you have mentioned,just saving a few more bucks before i can do so! Uncle Sam wiped me out again this year and i can't afford to have anymore taken out during the pay period or i might as well not worl at all,and with gas orices soaring,well you know the rest!
 

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
7,263
1,912
Lubbock, Texas
On VHF, especially low VHF, 120 miles is not out of the question. That is the reason low VHF DTV stations have trouble with interference.

With the right atmospheric conditions channel 2 & 3 signals can travel several hundred miles. It is not stable (sort of like short wave radio it ebbs and flows), but it is there and a problem.

VHF reception at 75 miles on high VHF stations over flat land is easily obtainable.

Before cable TV we regularly (all day) watched channel 8 from 75 miles away and channel 10 from 70 miles away with a good clear color picture analog OTA. This WAS our TV reception in the 60's. These channels are only broadcasting at 316kW.

Of course the antenna we used is no longer made nor seen - a Finco bedspring type antenna. I could DX UHF channel 28 from 170 miles away and VHF from 150 miles away was not very watchable, but the channel was viewable ( you could read the call letters and channel).
 
Last edited:

Rick0725

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 13, 2005
330
0
usa
The 91xg is supposed to be a good one.

The 91xg is a "copy" of the European design in the Blake JBX-21 antenna family.

Let me know how you make out ...been thinking about combining the 91xg with the vhf on my hd8200p for long distance reception...tried the cm4228 but I was not satisfied.

I thought the 91xg favored ch 45-69 ...but whatever. You never know how those damn antennas work till you try them.

but you have ch 9 to deal with down there in fla.
 
Last edited:

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
1,826
3
Moreno Valley, CA
Some of the RS antennas are made by Channel Master if I recall correctly. I have the RS VU120 on my roof. It is now about 6 years old but has done a pretty good job for me. I am 55 miles out from LA transmitters on Mt. Wilson. We are in a unique situation here though because those transmitters are about 5000 ft or something like that above sea level. There are many in the San Diego area nearly 100 miles away that have a good signal from there.

Before I put that antenna up I sprayed it with clear laquer. That has helped reduce corrosion quite a bit.
 

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
1,826
3
Moreno Valley, CA
And by the way, before you ask - yes it works just fine with digital signals too. You don't need a special antenna for HDTV channels. Any antenna that works well with analog signals will work well for digital signals. I can tune all 22 digital stations from Mt. Wilson with my Dish Network 811 receiver.
 

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
3,200
409
McAlester, Oklahoma
Rick0725 said:
The 91xg is supposed to be a good one.

The 91xg is a "copy" of the European design in the Blake JBX-21 antenna family.

Let me know how you make out ...been thinking about combining the 91xg with the vhf on my hd8200p for long distance reception...tried the cm4228 but I was not satisfied.

I thought the 91xg favored ch 45-69 ...but whatever. You never know how those damn antennas work till you try them.

but you have ch 9 to deal with down there in fla.
That wasn't me with ch9. I was trying FOX at 22. But maybe since the 91XG has about double the gain than my CM3020, I thought it might be also better in the ch22 area. Can't wait to find out. If that doesn't cut it, then I don't know what will. This will definately be the last time I go up the damn roof and try. I wouldn't know of any other antenna then, that could help me. DAMN TREES!
 

dapack5

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 15, 2006
23
0
Rick
i decided what the heck,i'll give it a try and if i'm not satisfied then i can take it back. well to my suprise,i started receiving Tampa HD channels,Miami HD channels and West Palm Beach channel too! it also improved my local situation as far as non Hd/analog channels. i am also receiving channel 2 out of miami,channel 6/ miami, channel 8 Tampa,13 Tampa and 10 Tampa! i can also get analog channels 32,34,39,40,42,44,50,51,62,65,66 and 67 as well as 23,24,14 and 18. so i think i'll use it for awhile. I have 30 days upon which to return it.
 

Rick0725

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 13, 2005
330
0
usa
sounds great...wish I could receive all those channels here.

Think im going to enjoy the summer...sounds like you all have it all figured out.:up
 

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
1,826
3
Moreno Valley, CA
dapack5 said:
Rick
i decided what the heck,i'll give it a try and if i'm not satisfied then i can take it back. well to my suprise,i started receiving Tampa HD channels,Miami HD channels and West Palm Beach channel too! it also improved my local situation as far as non Hd/analog channels. i am also receiving channel 2 out of miami,channel 6/ miami, channel 8 Tampa,13 Tampa and 10 Tampa! i can also get analog channels 32,34,39,40,42,44,50,51,62,65,66 and 67 as well as 23,24,14 and 18. so i think i'll use it for awhile. I have 30 days upon which to return it.

Sounds like you have some active tropospheric ducting in your area as those cities are pretty far apart. Chances are you will not see all of those channels every day, and the signal quality will vary some while you are tuned to them. On the bright side, if you scan the channels regularly you very well may see new channels appearing and disappearing from time to time from all over the southeast US, some from hundreds of miles away. Florida is a great place to have your antenna on a rotor! :D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top