RSN's HD no longer to be spot beamed ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i just reread your post again. how did you manage to pop in 32114 zip and get the panthers? when i checked a few days ago, i just got the lightning and magic.

I thought they came up yesterday, as I copied it right from the screen to this. Maybe I copied my zip results instead of the Daytona Zip.

Sorry, if I got your hopes up. I just went back and did it again and it didn't come up. I am writing this between periods of the Panther/Senators game. I see that 96 is showing the Panther/Lightning game, Saturday in HD. Maybe you will get it if it is on Sun Sports.

So.... Does anyone have any idea if this is actually something that will happen anytime soon, or just on our wish list ?

Jimbo

So.... Does anyone have any idea if this is actually something that will happen anytime soon, or just on our wish list ? Jimbo

I can see it as an eventual possibility but they would still be under the same current DMA and blackout rules.

So.... Does anyone have any idea if this is actually something that will happen anytime soon, or just on our wish list ?

Jimbo

It would be identical to what you see if you get all the Regional Sport Nets now.

However, it clearly cannot happen until later in the year when the CONUS MPEG4 bird is launched and activated.

There is a point in the math that doesnt add up though.

Directv was saying 150 National HD Channels....yet if the bird has 32 transponders, E* has apparently put 6 .h264 channels on a transponder in the last 2 weeks....so that would seem that you could actually get 200 National HD Channels on the bird.

IF they do make the changes to the RSN's, would I not then get the FSN - Detroit in HD, seeing it is 500 ft away from me ?

I pay for the sports pack and get the Red Wings in SD only, even though the games have been in HD all year long.

I was hoping that would fix my situation.

Jimbo

jimbo, is this what i hear you saying? FSN detroit is not your regional sports net. but you get to see the wings in sd because you pay extra for the sports subscription?

if d* eventually stopped spot beaming rsn's, would that mean you would get all the games in hd, provided you paid extra for the subscription?

if that's the case, wouldn't it be possible that d* might affix a surcharge to their sports subs, much like they do sunday ticket?

You would still only be able to receive what is listed as your market area by the zip code database provided to DirecTV by each league/team. If you sub to any specific sports packs, such as MLB EI, you would THEN be able to get any out of market games via that package; otherwise you will still be blacked out; UNLESS they change the current rules. AND as I have always known it, the MLB and NHL have the goofiest, most confusing and most strict BO rules. So Jimbo bottom line, if your zip is inside the home area then YES, this should help you seeing that you will now be getting signal to your dish that you supposedly do not; if your not included in the claimed home area for the DET Red Wings, the the larger beam of CONUS coverage will not help IMHO, and you would have to get the NHL package and I would think given the sad shape of the league's broadcast partner agreements, you may still be in the dark, BUT you can always hope; I would say don't hold your breath and wake up to be pleasantly surprised rather than the other way around..

I think if they do beam all RSN HD via CONUS it will be to do all HD broadcasts packages for additional sports in the same fashion they do the NFL ST/SF now. Not to allow anything additional without those add-on packages to those outside a given DMA..

Last edited:
jimbo, is this what i hear you saying? FSN detroit is not your regional sports net. but you get to see the wings in sd because you pay extra for the sports subscription?

if d* eventually stopped spot beaming rsn's, would that mean you would get all the games in hd, provided you paid extra for the subscription?

Yes, to a certian extent.
See in reality, I Toledo, Sylvania, Ohio SHOULD be in the Detroit RSN area, being only 48 miles from Detroit, however due to whoever makes these rules decides that my area should belong to the Cleveland and Cincy area, Cleveland is 2.5 -3 hours away and Cincy is closer to 4.
btw, I get neither in HD either.

I have talked to FSN Detroit and they said that D* needs to turn it on for me, I amin the Detroit spot beam, I get a SS of 90+ on thier transponder.

D* says it's not thier call, it's a zip code issue, I am in Ohio (zip) not a Mich zip.
FSN D would love to have the Toledo/Sylvania area to be shown in HD.

I am trying to get an answer to find out who makes these desigins and talk to them, but so far no luck.
I emailed with a guy from the Tigers and he looked into it and said that the individual teams had nothing to do with it, that it was a D* matter.

So you see how the plot has turned full circle.
I still think it is a D* issue, probably the fact that they need more bandwidth... although this would be on the MPEG4 side, hence, not a bandwidth issue.

Jimbo

I have talked to FSN Detroit and they said that D* needs to turn it on for me, I amin the Detroit spot beam, I get a SS of 90+ on thier transponder.

D* says it's not thier call, it's a zip code issue, I am in Ohio (zip) not a Mich zip.
FSN D would love to have the Toledo/Sylvania area to be shown in HD.

I am trying to get an answer to find out who makes these desigins and talk to them, but so far no luck.
I emailed with a guy from the Tigers and he looked into it and said that the individual teams had nothing to do with it, that it was a D* matter.

I still think it is a D* issue, probably the fact that they need more bandwidth... although this would be on the MPEG4 side, hence, not a bandwidth issue.

Jimbo

Those answers have been posted before, your signal provider, Dish or DirecTV do not make ANY of the DMA/RSN rules, the leagues claim their areas and their boundaries by zip code; they provide that info to Dish, DirecTV, etc. If your area's team/league is saying your zip IS in their area and DirecTV says its not, then show the league where you are getting screwed, have them send you & DirecTV hard copy proof that you (your zip code) is being listed in the incorrect market; and get the two together to fix it. You can't do it and DirecTV can't do it alone.. If you are correctly listed in their market and you are just not available to get the signal, THEN that would be DirecTV's hardware issue; beam issue and you will have to wait for the spot to be widened (if it can) or for the upcoming launches if they can't widen the current beam. You say you know for a fact that you are getting a great signal strength from the appropriate SAT/TPs, so that in it self should prove that there is no bandwidth issue, as the signal IS already there and very strong and covering you; that leads you directly back to the zip code, claimed market issue.

All that said in the world of mass confusion when it comes to DMAs, RSNs and blackouts, I can't say it enough that the day is long past that these antiquated rules of decades past need to be eliminated for the good of fans in an ever shrinking world.

Last edited:
IF they do make the changes to the RSN's, would I not then get the FSN - Detroit in HD, seeing it is 500 ft away from me ?

I pay for the sports pack and get the Red Wings in SD only, even though the games have been in HD all year long.

I was hoping that would fix my situation.

Jimbo

Last time I was visiting family in Maine and New Hampshire, they were in a simular situation. They are in Red Sox and Bruins coverage area, and get all the games in SD, but only the Boston area was getting the games in HD. Not sure if that is still the same but it was that way last year.

I am sure (and hoping) once they have their new satellites in place they will put all of the RSN HD feeds on national signal. It will probably boost subscribers to their Sports package, as well as their Center Ice, MLB, NBA, etc packages.

You would still only be able to receive what is listed as your market area by the zip code database provided to DirecTV by each league/team. If you sub to any specific sports packs, such as MLB EI, you would THEN be able to get any out of market games via that package; otherwise you will still be blacked out; UNLESS they change the current rules. AND as I have always known it, the MLB and NHL have the goofiest, most confusing and most strict BO rules. So Jimbo bottom line, if your zip is inside the home area then YES, this should help you seeing that you will now be getting signal to your dish that you supposedly do not; if your not included in the claimed home area for the DET Red Wings, the the larger beam of CONUS coverage will not help IMHO, and you would have to get the NHL package and I would think given the sad shape of the league's broadcast partner agreements, you may still be in the dark, BUT you can always hope; I would say don't hold your breath and wake up to be pleasantly surprised rather than the other way around..

I think if they do beam all RSN HD via CONUS it will be to do all HD broadcasts packages for additional sports in the same fashion they do the NFL ST/SF now. Not to allow anything additional without those add-on packages to those outside a given DMA..

OK, Heres what I am trying to do.
I am trying to get ahold of the people that determine the local area restrictions.
I want to talk sence to them to see that the Toledo market is a few short miles from Detroit vs the 200 milesa from the market that they have me listed in.
How do I get ahold of these people and who are they.
I was informed that it is NOT the teams that decide this, from the team themselves, they point it at D*.

Those answers have been posted before, your signal provider, Dish or DirecTV do not make ANY of the DMA/RSN rules, the leagues claim their areas and their boundaries by zip code; they provide that info to Dish, DirecTV, etc. If your area's team/league is saying your zip IS in their area and DirecTV says its not, then show the league where you are getting screwed, have them send you & DirecTV hard copy proof that you (your zip code) is being listed in the incorrect market; and get the two together to fix it. You can't do it and DirecTV can't do it alone.. If you are correctly listed in their market and you are just not available to get the signal, THEN that would be DirecTV's hardware issue; beam issue and you will have to wait for the spot to be widened (if it can) or for the upcoming launches if they can't widen the current beam. You say you know for a fact that you are getting a great signal strength from the appropriate SAT/TPs, so that in it self should prove that there is no bandwidth issue, as the signal IS already there and very strong and covering you; that leads you directly back to the zip code, claimed market issue.

All that said in the world of mass confusion when it comes to DMAs, RSNs and blackouts, I can't say it enough that the day is long past that these antiquated rules of decades past need to be eliminated for the good of fans in an ever shrinking world.

So I now need to get ahold of the NHL and the MLB ?
How does one do that ?

OK, Heres what I am trying to do. I am trying to get ahold of the people that determine the local area restrictions. I want to talk sence to them to see that the Toledo market is a few short miles from Detroit vs the 200 milesa from the market that they have me listed in. How do I get ahold of these people and who are they. I was informed that it is NOT the teams that decide this, from the team themselves, they point it at D*.

They point incorrectly; it is the league in every sport; so you would need to find out who at the league's office is in control; and that could be the old "needle in the hay-stack" job. I can assure you they LOVE to "protect" markets and you will likely get the run around; like you have already; but I do wish you success and luck and eager to read their replies!

Funny, how can they say any DBS company controls what gets shown and where? I would love for DirecTV to start shutting down all NYC area feeds from anything Yanks and Mets and only allow those games to be seen in Alaska; or for that matter open it all to everyone. We would see how fast the league gets involved in clearing that up; but it will not happen as DirecTV is required by contract, and likely by law as well, to take the provided market data and distribute games/programs as TOLD. Hell, as mentioned 1000 times before they (Dish and DirecTV) would love nothing more than to be able to open up EVERYTHING to all their subscribes for a fee. This would be best for them and us; but they are NOT ALLOWED to do that.

Again, your distance to/from a given team is not the sole determining factor, there will always be some zips close, some even and some furthest away from the teams in each market and any neighboring market.

Last edited:
Last time I was visiting family in Maine and New Hampshire, they were in a simular situation. They are in Red Sox and Bruins coverage area, and get all the games in SD, but only the Boston area was getting the games in HD. Not sure if that is still the same but it was that way last year.

I am sure (and hoping) once they have their new satellites in place they will put all of the RSN HD feeds on national signal. It will probably boost subscribers to their Sports package, as well as their Center Ice, MLB, NBA, etc packages.

Yes Lou,
You are in the same situation almost, the only difference is that I AM in the spotbeam to get the HD signal where I do not know if you are.

They point incorrectly; it is the league in every sport; so you would need to find out who at the league's office is in control; and that could be the old "needle in the hay-stack" job.

Again, your distance to/from a given team is not the sole determining factor, there will always be some zips close, some even and some furthest away from the teams in each market and any neighboring market.

The league you would think would want the people closest to the larger markets to be able to recieve the games, you would think....

Basically I have been wanting this NEW D* HR20-700 since last April, I waited for it, with D's urgence that I would definatly get the FSN D in HD, then when it didn't happen they said Oh, we don't understand , you should get it, you get the SD you should gwet the HD version, Everyone there agreed, until someone there figured out that it was the zip issue.

So my small progect is to find a way to talk to each league's office and have them widen the zip code database to allow what you would think would be common sense.
Ya, I'll get right on that, should be done by... this evening at the latest.

What a concept, you pay EXTRA for a product and STILL cannot get the programming you want.

Sorry about the rant guy's, but when I get going on this it just gets me wondering what these people are thinking when they do this stuff.

FSN - D told me that they will be on in HD in August of this year, regardless, I guess I could juast wait and watch my baseball in SD this year too.

Jimbo

Last edited:
The league you would think would want the people closest to the larger markets to be able to recieve the games, you would think.... Jimbo

You are right, that's what we think and what we fans want, BUT the league is more worried about protecting markets and likely team revenue versus another. If you want to see Team A and you are in Team B's market and the league allows you to now view Team A, then Team B feels that they are wrongly losing you and thus likely losing money as a result in some way and will likely go to court to protect their market interest.

So therefore I see the "special packages"; DirecTV (and others) gets the contracts to carry and distribute out of market games for an extra fee; thus Team A (and all others) can now be compensated for you not watching them any longer (team in your market) as opposed to you getting them for free and them not getting any compensation.

I do not agree with the rules either, BUT only trying to point out so you have no doubt that your DBS and cable providers DO NOT decide what market your zip is in or not in; they only enforce what they are told. HOWEVER they do control what DMAs they put online, just like any other channels. The above is likely the most over simplistic explanation, and leaving some league/team issues out, but hell the leagues have made it so over-confusing for end users to understand; and for a self-serving reason I am sure.

You are right, that's what we think and what we fans want, BUT the league is more worried about protecting markets and likely team revenue versus another. If you want to see Team A and you are in Team B's market and the league allows you to now view Team A, then Team B feels that they are wrongly losing you and thus likely losing money as a result in some way and will likely go to court to protect their market interest.

So therefore I see the "special packages"; DirecTV (and others) gets the contracts to carry and distribute out of market games for an extra fee; thus Team A (and all others) can now be compensated for you not watching them any longer (team in your market) as opposed to you getting them for free and them not getting any compensation.

I do not agree with the rules either, BUT only trying to point out so you have no doubt that your DBS and cable providers DO NOT decide what market your zip is in or not in; they only enforce what they are told. HOWEVER they do control what DMAs they put online, just like any other channels. The above is likely the most over simplistic explanation, and leaving some league/team issues out, but hell the leagues have made it so over-confusing for end users to understand; and for a self-serving reason I am sure.

Actually, my local cable company gives youn BOTH markets FSN Ohio and FSN Detroit and I believe STO as well.
Any word on if D* will have a deal with STO this year or not, it is where the Indians are playing, they use to play on FSN Ohio.
Will STO be on the MLB EI package, my Dads an Indians fan, I am a Tigers fan.

Also any idea if the EI will have games in HD, other than the Yankees ?

Cable can do that because they have received special (favored) treatment over the past 15+ years and operate under slightly different/allowed rules. The tide is slowly turning and sat is slowly getting the playing field leveled and being allowed to catch up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)