RTN west on AMC 6

Status
Please reply by conversation.

quasimodem

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Marlow, New Hampshire
I've only been set up and fully operational for about a week now. When I first scanned AMC 6, I was able to watch RTN east and west. The quality was minimal and the picture was a bit pixelated. Since my initial blind scan I've lost RTN east, and RTN west has a much stronger quality (about 75) but I get the message that there is no audio or video.
Is this just me or has there been a change, is RTN encryted now?
thanks
~Q

Not sure where you are located or what equipment is installed, but the RTN chanels seem as strong today as last weekend.

RTN East and West channels are transmitted on the same mux, so there will be no difference in the signal strength or quality. The installation probably was not optimized if the channels were pixelating after the install. I would guess that the dish has moved out of alignment since the install was completed. Try peaking the dish and LNBF then you might try rescanning or shifting the frequency or symbol rate as suggested by other ops in this active thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/182195-amc-9-83-w-classic-tv-here.html

I'd guess you're not pointed at the right satellite, or something else strange is going on.

So, as to your questions, there has been no change. I'm watching RTN right now.

A couple of notes -
RTN is on AMC 9, at 83W, not AMC 6.

And both channels are on the same transponder. This means the quality level will be identical for both channels. If it isn't, something more fundamental is wrong.

thanks guys,
I think I need to go back up on the roof and do a bit of fine tuning.
I've also been getting duplicate channels on different satellites.
From these replies I'm beginning to think that I'm aiming at the wrong satellite when I scan. I've been using USALS to zero in and then "bumping" the position to optimise the signal. Maybe I'm going too far and actually getting into the signal of another bird...
I'll get back with findings.
thanks again...
~Q

AMC6 will have the NBC mux at 12052 V 6890...4 channels that may have programming or is a black screen

WBNS TV

I need some help here....
I thought when I first set up my dish that I was pointing due south and getting my "closest to true south" satellite which is AMC 6 @ 72w.
Now that I've scanned other satellites I'm starting to doubt that I actually hit this bird. The only channel I find when I blind scan is WBNS TV (tp:11733, 66616H, fec2/3)
The only channels listed for AMC 6 are KTFL @11891H, and GBN @ 12144V.
I don't find any signal quality on the tp's for the listed channels, no mater how far east or west I bump the dish.
I guess I'm wondering if any one is getting WBNS, and what satellite it's on?
Once I determine this, I can figure out if I'm lined up right or not...
thanks
~Q

are you trying to get RTN which is on AMC9 (83W) or AMC6 (72W)?

AMC6 is true south for me....
I've been trying to find RTN on AMC9, now that I've figured out what I've been doing wrong. I think I had my dish pointed at AMC9 when I thought it was on AMC6...(I bumped it too far when I was trying to fine tune it).
next week end I'll have time to set up a staging with roof brackets and a plank so I'll have a place to set a 13" tv and my stb. then, I hope I can adjust things enough to get a better quality signal....
thanks for all the help and input...I'll post back with more questions I'm sure.
~Q

Just FYI:

The RTN (RTV) feeds on AMC 9 @ 83.0W have had some difficulty in the past with interference from a signal we know as Video-1 or Leon-1. I am not entirely sure that that interference has totally passed, so be aware of this if you are looking for the RTV East and RTV West channels.

I recently hooked up my new AZBox and have been unable to tap into the RTV channels properly and they are quite ellusive. If I connect my Coolsat 5k or my Fortec Star Dynamic reciever, I can get them in easily, but the AZBox is very persnickity. LOL Pardon if my spelling is poor, but you get the general idea.

RADAR

Just FYI:

The RTN (RTV) feeds on AMC 9 @ 83.0W have had some difficulty in the past with interference from a signal we know as Video-1 or Leon-1. I am not entirely sure that that interference has totally passed, so be aware of this if you are looking for the RTV East and RTV West channels.

leo moved to AMC3 a few weeks ago so there shouldnt be any issues locking rtn

leo moved to AMC3 a few weeks ago so there shouldnt be any issues locking rtn

I was hoping that this was correct, but my AZBox still has a problem with the RTV channels. I do not understand why, exactly. I have been working on the issue on my end, but haven't had a great deal of luck so far. I will keep trying, but if I want to watch these channels, I can reconnect the Coolsat to the system.

\RADAR

RTN has been solid and stronger than ever here on my 90cm Primestar and 2700A. I agree with Ice that the Azbox is in beta, bugs need to be worked out. Thats the only problem with being first on the block with the new stuff.

I was hoping that this was correct, but my AZBox still has a problem with the RTV channels. I do not understand why, exactly. I have been working on the issue on my end, but haven't had a great deal of luck so far. I will keep trying, but if I want to watch these channels, I can reconnect the Coolsat to the system.
\RADAR

I would suggest recording the MUX TS and send a copy to the AZBox Development team. They should be able to correct the issue.

the azbox is still in beta? ;)

RTN has been solid and stronger than ever here on my 90cm Primestar and 2700A. I agree with Ice that the Azbox is in beta, bugs need to be worked out. Thats the only problem with being first on the block with the new stuff.

I would suggest recording the MUX TS and send a copy to the AZBox Development team. They should be able to correct the issue.

I don't to get too far off the topic of the OP's post, so I will keep this somment short. I know that Leo 1's signal is now out of the picture, but there is still something wrong with the RTV channels on 83.0W

I have read other posts from other sites which have dedicated areas for the AZBox receivers. I caught a couple of posts which stated that the tuner of the AZBox was very sensitive to the TP frequency and sometimes a person is required to alter the frequency of the TP to be able to pull in the signal properly.

I have attempted this personally, changing the TP frequency by a few MHz up and down, but the best I could get was using 11.735 MHz and 4.444 MS/s. Which is as listed on Lyngsat. With this information, it eventually locks the channels, but they are unstable amd difficul;t to lock.

If I change the symbol rate to 4.440, the video locks on quickly, but the audio is absent.

I have been trying other combinations of TP frequency and symbol rates, but have had no positive luck other than what I have mentioned already.

If anyone else has used the AZBox for these channels with good luck, please let me know what you have done to get there!~ :)

Thanks everyone,

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)