RTV, History, PBS, Titantv & FTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
Wow! I finally got it! I finally figured out how to make a custom guide on Titantv that has RTV east and west, History Channel and all my locals.
I edited out the channels I don't watch and have only the ones I do watch.
It's not complete yet but I'm getting the hang of it now and I should be able to build a complete guide for everything I can tune in, soon. :D

Now if someone can make suggestions on how to get the assorted PBS channels in as well, that would be awesome!

For RTV east there is a National Feed you can add. For the west coast feed I found that KIRO-DT2 looks to be just what the doctor ordered.

For History channel I found Grande Communications - Midland/Odessa has it all covered.

Changing the subject, I was watching Fashion TV last night and they were scrolling a message that they are about to scramble the channel. :river

I didn't catch the exact messages so I'm trying to record and capture a screen shot of it tonight. Has anyone else seen the same thing? I just sooooo hope that's not true.

One other thing. Fashion TV, when there's motion, like the camera moves, the picture gets weird, like your peeking through mini-blinds at it. Has anyone else had that happen? I'm using a home entertainment pc so maybe that's part of it.
It's really annoying and looks pretty terrible. But if the picture is pretty still, which is rare, it looks fantastic! But FTV is all about motion, they are always, always in motion so it's kind of not so good. :(

Thanks guys! :)

Attachments

• titanguide.jpg
    titanguide.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
For RTV..... For the west coast feed I found that KIRO-DT2 looks to be just what the doctor ordered.

Looks like the weekend programming is different. Close to a match though. I still have not found anything that gives episode information.

I have not looked at FTV, but it sounds like the video codec you use is having problems. In my case, I have found having different graphs installed and the ability to switch the graphs allows you to select different codecs (manually though) for different channels. What works best for one channel does not work best for another. I have not found the one size fits all solution.

Looks like the weekend programming is different. Close to a match though. I still have not found anything that gives episode information.

I have not looked at FTV, but it sounds like the video codec you use is having problems. In my case, I have found having different graphs installed and the ability to switch the graphs allows you to select different codecs (manually though) for different channels. What works best for one channel does not work best for another. I have not found the one size fits all solution.

Graphs? Codecs? :confused: Lingo again.. Sigh...
I don't know how I'm getting Fashion TV, I could hear it before but not see it then someone told me to install something, I did and now it works, better. I do not remember what it was I installed.

Here's an example of the "mini-blinds" effect AND the scrambling warning all in one picture.. :(

As for the RTV guides, DARN!! I thought I had it! Well, it's pretty close. I'll keep at it I guess. I'm getting the hang of it, it only took me *all day long*... :rolleyes:

Thanks! :)

OH OH!! The history channel listings are all wrong too. Darn it! I thought I had it!! :river
Back to square one I suppose....

Attachments

• fashiontvmesg.jpg
    fashiontvmesg.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 270
Dee, I didn't have any problem getting History added into my titantv guide. There where it says Manage Channels, then I think it has an Add Channel button, that pops up and says Find Channel by Name. Just start typing History in it and it found History ch. For RTV I just picked the local stations that have it on sub-channels and added those.

Here's an example of the "mini-blinds" effect....

Was not quite what I was expecting. Hopefully someone here can check the signal out and see if they have the same results or not. (I took my motor off just before the start of winter... and its bitterly cold out now. Currently around 0, and flurries expected for the next 3 days)
A CODEC is the software you would of loaded to get the picture, stands for compression/decompression. A graph is like pasteing the codecs together for audio and video from your satellite tuner card for the audio and video flow to the proper equipement.

Well it appears that the various cable tv providers take the channel and changes the programs all around to suit their local desires.

No matter what I put in as the source for the history channel, the titan guide doesn't even come close to what's actually playing right now.. :(

A CODEC is the software you would of loaded to get the picture, stands for compression/decompression. A graph is like pasteing the codecs together for audio and video from your satellite tuner card for the audio and video flow to the proper equipement.

Oh... Um, ok..

A bit over my head but, thanks all the same.. :eek:

FTV, is somtime converted from Euro, TV broadcast system in 50 Hz to our 60 Hz USA" video system.:)

That's converting, from 25 Frames Per Second to 30 FPs. That's why you are seeing video's frames rate's distortions.

This is annoying. I've tried dozens of different history channel options from all around the country and they all show the same content and that content does not jive with what's playing right now and what was playing all day.

I'm giving up on it for tonight. I'm bleary eyed now and the more I mess with it the more confused and aggravated I get.

Nite nite... :sleeo

This is annoying. I've tried dozens of different history channel options from all around the country and they all show the same content and that content does not jive with what's playing right now and what was playing all day.

THC is the satellite feed. It matches what their website shows

I'm giving up on it for tonight. I'm bleary eyed now and the more I mess with it the more confused and aggravated I get.

Nite nite... :sleeo
FWIW, my History channel guide was off last night. I moved to 97 today and it's too cold out now (-4F) for my motor to move so I can check it.

You have to be vigil when you go to the webiste for the History channel. The time base wants to defualt to EST when you change your selections. Always peer over to that area for the "time slot" to ensure that it is set for your time zone... and ensuire that the date is also correct.

Beyond this aspect, the program guide is very accurate.

RADAR

FTV is on 97W Ku

And it's MPEG4 HD, for those who don't know. (Still DVB-S QPSK though. An SD receiver will detect it, it just won't display it.)

And it has a Viaccess flag on it, although it's apparently in whatever Viaccess's equivalent of zero-key mode is right now. On my new Sathawk receiver, the encryption light lights up green instead of orange. First time I've seen that. The Irdeto-flagged channels that are in the clear light it up orange, so maybe the Viaccess light is always green, I have no idea. One of the hazards of having a receiver with no manual!

Anyway, to get back to Dee's problem, check the configuration of whatever MPEG4 codec you installed to see if it's set to de-interlace the video.

And it's MPEG4 HD, for those who don't know. (Still DVB-S QPSK though. An SD receiver will detect it, it just won't display it.)

And it has a Viaccess flag on it, although it's apparently in whatever Viaccess's equivalent of zero-key mode is right now. On my new Sathawk receiver, the encryption light lights up green instead of orange. First time I've seen that. The Irdeto-flagged channels that are in the clear light it up orange, so maybe the Viaccess light is always green, I have no idea. One of the hazards of having a receiver with no manual!

Anyway, to get back to Dee's problem, check the configuration of whatever MPEG4 codec you installed to see if it's set to de-interlace the video.

no wonder ive never seen it

usually a SD only receiver puts it in the radio section

My Coolsat does that

I hear if you PVR a 4:2:2 or MPEG 4 HD feed with a Visionsat IV 200 and plug the USB stick in your PC you can watch it there. Im suppose to be getting one of these from a friend soon. Could be fun to play with :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)