Rubber boots a must?

korereactor

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
I noticed my installer did not put rubber boots over the connectors at the grounding block. It does look like he used weather-proof connectors though. Is this a big deal? Is it worth redoing the connectors to put some boots on? Just curious...

Do a search...there has been plenty of discussion of this topic. I tend to think they they actually hold IN the water.

StevenD said:
Do a search...there has been plenty of discussion of this topic. I tend to think they they actually hold IN the water.

Correct!

The best way to exclude water is to mount the cable horizontally.

Better yet, mount all connections in weatherproof boxes with all cable entries and exits at the bottom. The cable and telephone companies have know that it's the best way for years.

When I first saw the name of this thread I thought you were worried about having to wear rubber boots to put up a dish! :D

Should be fine either way, we had some non-booted connections for ages that were just fine, though covering it up in a box is better :)

StevenD said:

Thats what I've always found too. As long as they used compression connections, not hex crimp you should be just fine.

i agree with all the previous posts, also, if you decided to put boots on, you'd have to cut the connectors off, put the boots on, then put new connectors on... and unless you have the tools to put on compression connectors, it would not be worth it anyway.
compression connectors last a long time in the weather unless it has a bad seal inside. (before i get any bashing... i know, i know, its not a good idea, and i would never do it at a customers house) but, at my house i actually have 2 connectors barrel connected together buried... has been there for about 3 years and have never had a problem out of it. (ps: not recommended) ;)

StevenD said:

I've had my Dish Network installation for about 8 years. I did the installation myself. I used Connectors with rubber "O" rings and sealant on the Crimp ends, and I mounted the grounding block Horizontally (So the connections are parallel to the ground), above the cables by about 2 inches, All Cables in and out of the grounding block are drip looped and tacked to the building with plastic "U" anchors. Never had a problem.

BTW I live in Western NY we get plenty of rain and snow and when I check my connections once per year, they are bone dry and totally corrosion free.

Unless you live in a Monsoon Climate I don't see a need for rubber Boots. I do tend to agree that Rubber Boots could pose a problem if water does get in, it will never get out.

John

birddoggy said:
i agree with all the previous posts, also, if you decided to put boots on, you'd have to cut the connectors off, put the boots on, then put new connectors on... and unless you have the tools to put on compression connectors, it would not be worth it anyway.
compression connectors last a long time in the weather unless it has a bad seal inside. (before i get any bashing... i know, i know, its not a good idea, and i would never do it at a customers house) but, at my house i actually have 2 connectors barrel connected together buried... has been there for about 3 years and have never had a problem out of it. (ps: not recommended) ;)

Although I don't recommend rubber boots, you don't have to cut off the existing connectors and replace them to put them on.

You need a 2 inch long piece found at the end of a brand new tube of cauking, a one inch piece of 1/4 inch polyethilene tubing and some silicone spray lubricant.

Cut off the caulking tube tip and place the 1/4 inch poly tubing inside.

Place the assembly over the cable with the connector on it.

Spray the outside of the polyethylene tubing and the inside of the "boot" with silicone spray.

Push the small end of the "boot" onto the tip of the caulking tube tip.

Push the boot over the assembly, remove the assembly, and you're done.

I never use boots personally I think they tend to hold water in.
The best solution is to use a plastic box or make your connections in side.

If you decide to use a plastic box just mount the box base where your grounding block is now then feed your cables through the bottom and reattach to your ground block.

I would not cut your ends off because the ends used by your install are probably better than end you can get.

If you get us a picture of your ends we'll let you know if there good or not.

Rubber boots will only hold water in if they are not installed correctly leaving an opening for water to get in or a connection that is allowed to remain loose. Boots are an added safety measure for weather resistant fittings specialy in situations where moisture can be a near consistant problem. Im on the fence inregards to the boots, Ive seen coax lines spliced together with a barrel on the outside that have been that way for years and there was no corrosion yet some that have been that way for a month and full of rot.

OoTLink said:
When I first saw the name of this thread I thought you were worried about having to wear rubber boots to put up a dish! :D

When I first saw this thread I thought it must be about the upcoming Charlie Chat!

Brad

moisture is going to get into just about anything and using those boots only makes it harder to dry out. I used them at first and then 6 months to a year later back on service calls found nothing but rust. On two occasions when I cut the old connectors off water poured out of the cable like a hose. I checked every inch for holes and slices etc. and found nothing. Had to replace the whole thing.

Anyway what I found works really good (other than dialectric grease) is use just a little bit of silicone near the top of the threads on the ground block. When you attatch the connecter it puts a light coat around the threads. It doesn't cause any issues with removal either. I have taken of more than my fair share of connectors with the boots installed and found nothing but rust. I wouldn't use them. And for future reference taping the crap out of it with black electrical tape is even worse.

LM

Ditto. Boots makes things worse.

Why all the objections to silicon dielectric grease? I would never do an outdoor connection dry. Nothing is easier. KISS!
Hor vert underwater it doesn't matter. Water will get in to anything one way or another, if there is room for it.

The next best thing from silicon fill is "nothing". A loose unsealed connector lets the moisture out.

IMO

Loose connections dont let all the water out, I replace enough loose and rotted connections to know. The grease does work but its such a damned mess specialy if you have to service the system later. Boots do work when installed properly and the connection is snugged tight as it should be and the f connector is a compression fitting and not one of those damnable hex crimp fittings. Only time Ive ever had to replace any connection and coax when there was a rubber boot in use was when the connection was not tightened and when hex f connectors where used.

The most vulnerable point of the connection is the where the center conductor enters the female socket. The contact is very small and electrified with 12-18 volts dc. Any moisture along with impurities in the air causes electrolytic galvanic corrosion. Since it is DC, it is more electrolytic than ac would be.

Just pace a minor dab of the non hardening silicone grease on the tip of the center conductor.

inwo said:
Ditto. Boots makes things worse.

Why all the objections to silicon dielectric grease? I would never do an outdoor connection dry. Nothing is easier. KISS!
Hor vert underwater it doesn't matter. Water will get in to anything one way or another, if there is room for it.

The next best thing from silicon fill is "nothing". A loose unsealed connector lets the moisture out.

IMO
When I worked in cable I was told the dieletric grease weakens the ground...especially those who fill the connector and then connect it onto the port. I never saw it cause a problem, but we were given a teflon compound to put onto the threads of the port only, then screw the connector on.

This guy might be talking about those little boots that slide onto the ports, not the old type that slid over the entire connector; we all saw those boots, the ones that slid over the connector, installed in the 70's and 80's and yes, they held the water in!

For those who are giving the hex crimp connectors a hard time.....Those blue PPC gel-filled connectors, 60%-quad, last for a very long time!!! Anyone who has used them in cable can tell you they can easily compete with any compression connector......you just shouldn't use them indoors because the silicone might leak out.

But, yes...the import thing is to make sure that the connector has an o-ring, whether it's the internal or external (visible inside the connector) kind, and make sure it's tight enough to never vibrate off.

Messy? Weakens grd? :rolleyes: I think not. Nothing is easier, cleaner, less expensive. or more effective.

Don't have to stock 20 dif things. Same connectors in and out. Much more convenient than any type of seals. O rings are not needed. Moisture ingress can come from inside damaged cable. Only one way protects in all conditions. The best connectors come gel filled. The best cable is flooded.

Just excuses to not try something different, or to proud to admit there is a better way.

Gel comes in handy little .3 oz tubes. And don't put a dab on. Fill er up. It's nice thinking back on a thousand installs "many k connections" knowing they will outlast me.

Yep its messy, dont know how many times Ive serviced a system that had that stuff at an exterior connection point and as soon as you take the line off your fingers are all slimey with grease. Why would you think that you have to have 20 diferent things on your work vehicle to do a simple task? You only need one type of connector, one type of ground block, and one type of weather sealer for a normal installation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)