Rude GloryStar Customer Support

MrGadgetFL

Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I sent GloryStar Support the following email:

I just installed the system. I am unable to get all channels when the switch is connected.

With only LNB-1 connected (through the switch), I get all AMC-4 channels. TBN is not coming in.

With only LNB-2 connected (through the switch), I get all Galaxy-25 channels. TBN is coming in.

With BOTH LNB's connected (through the switch), I DO NOT get all the Galaxy-25 channels. I DO receive Galaxy-25 Channels: 2, 4, 11, 13, 17, 18, 20, 23, 26, and 30.

I've tried resetting the receiver (rear power switch) and resetting to Factory Settings (with 2020). I turn off the receiver (rear power switch) whenever changing LNB cable connections.

Any suggestions?

This is the reply I just received from them:

Sir,

By connecting the cables individually through the switch with the power
on, the switch has been fried. Connections to the switch must be made
with the receiver power off. Your description of the switch working on
G25 only when both LNBFs are connected indicates that the receiver power
has been on when connections were changed and also that probably LNBF2
was connected to LNBF1 port of the switch and the receiver has detected
this incorrect connection.

If the switch is still good, you may be able to revive the system.

Email is not a ideal way to provide interactive support. For additional
assistance, please contact us Monday - Thursday, 8am - 5pm and Friday 8
am - 4:30pm, Pacific Time.

Obviously, they did not read my email. I'm an Electrical Engineer and an Amateur Radio Operator, so feel very sorry for any non-technical individual trying to install their system. I'm very disappointed with this type of customer support from a company selling "Christian" products.

Sir,

I am Brian Gohl, Owner of Glorystar.

I did read your email thoroughly before responding as well as the sending the follow-up message a few minutes later inviting you to call our office for an RMA if you find that the switch is defective. I believe that these replies to you were appropriate based on the troubleshooting that will be required. I invited you to call our office to receive the proper support that your situation requires. If my invitation to call our customer service offended you, I do apologize. Most of the customers are not Electrical Engineers and they are best served by live telephone support.

It is nearly impossible to provide proper trouble shooting and product support through an email as we would be just simply be restating the information already found in the install guide. You will best provided customer service by calling our toll free customer support at 866-597-0728. The CSR will walk you through several reset procedures with the switch disconnected then a few with the switch connected.

Even now, knowing your background, I will ask that you contact our customer support department to troubleshoot your system.

As a Christian company providing a Christian product, we hold ourselves to the same high standard that we provide our non Christian customers with non Christian products at though our parent company, Satellite AV!

God Bless!
Brian Gohl

My, is someone sensitive today! Their response is "rude"???
esteps

I sent GloryStar Support the following email:

I just installed the system. I am unable to get all channels when the switch is connected.

With only LNB-1 connected (through the switch), I get all AMC-4 channels. TBN is not coming in.

With only LNB-2 connected (through the switch), I get all Galaxy-25 channels. TBN is coming in.

With BOTH LNB's connected (through the switch), I DO NOT get all the Galaxy-25 channels. I DO receive Galaxy-25 Channels: 2, 4, 11, 13, 17, 18, 20, 23, 26, and 30.

I've tried resetting the receiver (rear power switch) and resetting to Factory Settings (with 2020). I turn off the receiver (rear power switch) whenever changing LNB cable connections.

Any suggestions?

This is the reply I just received from them:

Sir,

By connecting the cables individually through the switch with the power
on, the switch has been fried. Connections to the switch must be made
with the receiver power off. Your description of the switch working on
G25 only when both LNBFs are connected indicates that the receiver power
has been on when connections were changed and also that probably LNBF2
was connected to LNBF1 port of the switch and the receiver has detected
this incorrect connection.

If the switch is still good, you may be able to revive the system.

Email is not a ideal way to provide interactive support. For additional
assistance, please contact us Monday - Thursday, 8am - 5pm and Friday 8
am - 4:30pm, Pacific Time.

Obviously, they did not read my email. I'm an Electrical Engineer and an Amateur Radio Operator, so feel very sorry for any non-technical individual trying to install their system. I'm very disappointed with this type of customer support from a company selling "Christian" products.

When I read it, I thought it was a bit rude to state "the switch has been fried. Connections to the switch must be made with the receiver power off." To me, that seems very accusatory, and assumes that the person has done something wrong - yet the person who wrote the original email plainly stated that "I turn off the receiver (rear power switch) whenever changing LNB cable connections" which would indicate that the user is aware of this issue and has been careful to follow directions (furthermore, the fact that bot sats positions work with the switch, but only certain channels work on one sat [probably all verticle or all horizontal], tends to point away from the likelihood that it's a blown switch)

Of course, that's just one guy's take on the situation. If I'm completely off base, I'm fine with admiting it ;)

What answer would have been better?

The Star Trek Response ... "The switch... it's dead Jim"
The Gorilla Monsoon Response ... "Stick a fork in the switch... it's dead!"
The Walt Disney Response ... "Your switch, it went off to never never land"

Or an attached MP3 file which plays taps as you read a letter saying "Dear sir we are sorry to inform you that your switch died in the line of duty."

I think "the switch has been fried" is more technical then saying "you have a defective switch"

The folks at Glorystar will take care of you. :)

The answer implied (in my reading, and apparently in the reading of the sender) that the user had fried the switch due to switching between connections with the power still on. The user specifically states that this was not the case. I think careful wording on the part of the support person could have avoided this insinuation, and encouraged the user to call in for immediate assistance.

I hate to pound on this, because I think Glorystar, and Brian specifically, are on the right track. With some careful warning to avoid inappropriately offendining those of us with thin skin, the whole feeling of rudeness could have been avoided. I do realize that there is probably a large percentage of calls similar to this one that boil down to this very issue (of switching inputs while powered up), so I can definitely see the reason behind this assumption. However, when the user specifically states that this was not the case, some tact could be utilized when approaching this subject.

I'm sure that the support person still believes that, eventhough the customer says they didnt do anything wrong, it was probably user error. And rightly so - I've supported software applications long enough to know that many users dont realize what they are "really" doing, or they flat out misrepresent the situation because they feel they will get better results by doing so... that's the real world, true. In such situations, however, it always ends with better feelings between both parties if you can approach this situation in a more tactful manner and help the other party to expose the truth to you.

I'm continuting to blab on about this subject, not to accuse/lecture/blame Brian or his staff, but to pass on my initial reaction and make suggestions. He can take them or leave them. I hope that this forum and the positive and negative responses will help his organization to plan and react accordingly so that the can continue to be successful and flourish. Given the right mix of Christian channels available via the Glorystar system, I can see myself personally sending dozens of people his direction (and probably buying a few systems for close friends) quite quickly to purchase a system and allow me to install it for them at no cost - so that they can get the pleasure of owning the equipment and receiving these channels in their home.

E-Mail in most cases isnt the best option. Calling would be the best. Cool part is when you call Glorystar you will get someone here in the US (not like DIsh and you get India or wherever the heck they are) :)

Um, TBN is on G25 not AMC4 so obviously it wouldn't come in

see above response

I saw this too.

When he says with both LNBs connected he just missing some GA25 stuff. I am too but they are the weak stations (and I think the channel numbers he's talking about are those weaker ones). Since they aren't ones my wife cares about and the ones she does (vast majority of AMC4 and the strong GA25 ones) come in fine I haven't bothered trying to tweak anymore. Just leave well enough alone for now. :)

Eventually it will bug me and I'll just have to tweak it, but I can wait. ;)

As for the email, I'd guess the support person didn't notice the last line about turning the power off when switching cables. I work in computer support for a living and I've done that before. I focus immediately on the problem and don't notice the "other" stuff mentioned. When it happens the user points it out and I'm like "duh, ok lets try something else". Rarely do I have a user that gets all upset about it.

Anyway, I'm thinking if the only problem here is the weaker stations on GA25 don't come in but all others do and he can change channels around then the switch is probably ok. He just needs to do more tweaking to try to get in some of those other channels.

Thanks to everyone for reviewing this post and for your input and suggestions. We try to do what we believe is best for the customer and hope that this situation with the switching error has been resolved.

By far, the majority of DiSEqC switching errors are the result of faulty cables and connections. We often find that an installer has used prewired coax cables, coax types that might not be appropriate, having sharp bends or kinks or excessive length and faulty connections. These problems often prevent the return of the modulated 22KHz signal to control the switch.

The majority of DiSEqC failures are caused by hot connections and and interesting problem which occurs with 2x1 DiSEqC switches when only one LNBF is connected to either the correct or incorrect port. Earlier versions of the Mercury II firmware had an auto switch detection circuit which would detect the satellite on the incorrect input and then not correctly program the ports. Though this issue was resolved quite sometime back, our CSRs often check the firmware version and perform an interactive reset procedure that can clear the switch settings.

We attempt to reduce DiSEqC switch errors by sending a single sheet of neon colored paper inside of the satellite receiver box with an important installation notice prompting the installer to connect directly to the LNBFs to locate the satellites then TURN OFF the master power switch before placing the DiSEqC switch in line.

I saw this too.

When he says with both LNBs connected he just missing some GA25 stuff. I am too but they are the weak stations (and I think the channel numbers he's talking about are those weaker ones). Since they aren't ones my wife cares about and the ones she does (vast majority of AMC4 and the strong GA25 ones) come in fine I haven't bothered trying to tweak anymore. Just leave well enough alone for now. :)

Eventually it will bug me and I'll just have to tweak it, but I can wait. ;)

As for the email, I'd guess the support person didn't notice the last line about turning the power off when switching cables. I work in computer support for a living and I've done that before. I focus immediately on the problem and don't notice the "other" stuff mentioned. When it happens the user points it out and I'm like "duh, ok lets try something else". Rarely do I have a user that gets all upset about it.

Anyway, I'm thinking if the only problem here is the weaker stations on GA25 don't come in but all others do and he can change channels around then the switch is probably ok. He just needs to do more tweaking to try to get in some of those other channels.

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like my situation exactly. Unfortunately, tweaking didn't help. SIG shows the missing G25 channels are there with pretty good signal strength, but very low quality. Just surprised me that I could receive the channels without the switch or with the switch connected to only the G25 LNB, but could not with the switch connected to both LNBs. Channel Edit shows the receiver is programmed for the correct LNB for each missing channel. Thanks again.

Sir,

I am Brian Gohl, Owner of Glorystar.

I did read your email thoroughly before responding as well as the sending the follow-up message a few minutes later inviting you to call our office for an RMA if you find that the switch is defective. I believe that these replies to you were appropriate based on the troubleshooting that will be required. I invited you to call our office to receive the proper support that your situation requires. If my invitation to call our customer service offended you, I do apologize. Most of the customers are not Electrical Engineers and they are best served by live telephone support.

It is nearly impossible to provide proper trouble shooting and product support through an email as we would be just simply be restating the information already found in the install guide. You will best provided customer service by calling our toll free customer support at 866-597-0728. The CSR will walk you through several reset procedures with the switch disconnected then a few with the switch connected.

Even now, knowing your background, I will ask that you contact our customer support department to troubleshoot your system.

As a Christian company providing a Christian product, we hold ourselves to the same high standard that we provide our non Christian customers with non Christian products at though our parent company, Satellite AV!

God Bless!
Brian Gohl

Perhaps "rude" was the wrong word. I was offended because your response seemed to be based on an incomplete (knee-jerk) reading of my email and contained several misstatements of what I had written:

1) "Your description of the switch working on G25 only when both LNBFs are connected...." I wrote that with only LNB-2 connected, I get ALL G25 channels, and with both LNBs connected, I do not get all the G25 channels.

2) "...that probably LNBF2 was connected to the LNBF1 port of the switch...." implied that I didn't know what I was doing.

3) "By connecting the cables individually through the switch with the power on, the switch has been fried." I wrote that I had turned off the receiver whenever changing LNB cable connections. And since I got some G25 channels and all A4 channels with the switch connected, it was doubtful that the switch was fried.

I generally prefer email support and have had excellent results with it for all types of products. Telephone support normally takes a great deal of time: waiting on hold for tech support, getting first-level tech support who knows very little about the product, English as a second language, etc. Email allows a detailed explanation of the problem with less misunderstanding (obviously not the case with GloryStar).

Without the switch inline and the receiver is connected directly to LNBF 2 (left side / standing in front of the dish), what is the Signal Quality on channel 2 (TBN) and channel 3 (Miracle Channel)? Remember that Signal Level means very little on DVB/MPEG receivers, it is all about Signal Quality readings.

If the Signal Quality on channel 3 is below 50% when connected directly to LNBF 2, the attenuation of the switch could be causing the signal to drop below threshold.

If the Signal Quality is above 50% on channel 3 while connected directly to LNBF2, but Channel 3 Signal Quality drops below 30% when connected through the switch then the switch would be considered faulty if the problem continues after a series of reset procedures. The switch could certainly be bad (or fried) if all of AMC4 and some of the Galaxy 25 channels are received.

A DiSEqC 2x1 switch will not operate correctly with the Mercury II if only one input is connected to an LNBF. Any testing that is done while only one LNBF is connected to the switch would provide inconclusive and inconsistent test results.

Please take advantage of our telephone support! Our customer support is willing and available to assist customers and installers in English, Spanish or Russian.

MrGadgetFL,

It does sound like a fried switch. Even though it is grounded properly and you turned the power off before switching cables.... the switch could still be bad. I had the same problem with a 4 port switch. One port was bad and when I connected the 4th LNB I lost channels on G25. When I took the 4 LNB off the channels returned. I replaced the switch and it is working perfectly ... had a signal increases also.

MrGadgetFL,

It does sound like a fried switch. Even though it is grounded properly and you turned the power off before switching cables.... the switch could still be bad. I had the same problem with a 4 port switch. One port was bad and when I connected the 4th LNB I lost channels on G25. When I took the 4 LNB off the channels returned. I replaced the switch and it is working perfectly ... had a signal increases also.

Thanks. I've ordered another switch.

Once Glorystar gets more channels that I watch I will consider getting it. However I would like to say that I think it's great that they monitor this board here on SatelliteGuys. I wish larger companies would do the same. It gives me assurance that they would respond if I had a problem. I think this situation illustrates how important it is to have good customer service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)