Rumor: $399 PS3 On The Way

The $100 price drop turned out to be merely a closeout sale for the 60GB PS3s. The price goes back up when the supply is exhausted....

They backpeddaled from the Euro-Prez's remarks, stating that there is ample supply to meet demand for the lower price point.

But did not say they were actually continuing to manufacture them.

PlayStation.Blog » Another E3 Winding Down, Plus a Quick Clarification

One quick thing before I head to the show for the last day. I just wanted to clarify something. I’ve seen a lot of posts this morning related to the 60GB SKU and the comments by SCEE President David Reeves. As we announced this week, SCEA’s product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of consumers for the foreseeable future.

Some careful wording there.

thats what i mean, there are news stories saying they are discontinuing, then others that say they arent, nothing concrete from Sony... anyways the 60GB at 499 is a better buy than the 80GB w/Motorstorm will be at full price... so that alone says they will discontinue it.

I still think the PS3 spec is way overdone. If the paging file size isn't all that big and I'm not planning on doing online DL's, I think a 2-4GB flash card should handle the trick for all the necessary saves and temporary storage. Wouldn't that reduce production costs(or at least shave some cost off)?

Wouldn't eliminating backwards compatibility be even more detrimental to the system as it would mean most if not all of the upcoming games that look worth playing would not be playable? As of right now the PS3 is a descent blu-ray player but an awful gaming machine.

Wouldn't eliminating backwards compatibility be even more detrimental to the system as it would mean most if not all of the upcoming games that look worth playing would not be playable? As of right now the PS3 is a descent blu-ray player but an awful gaming machine.

huh? Backwards compatibility would allow you to play PS2 games on the PS3, it would always be able to play future titles.

And I wouldnt call the PS3 an "awful" gaming machine, I bought an xbox 360 last summer, and a PS3 this summer, If you compare teh 360 library of games last year, to the ps3 library this year, the PS3 is in much better shape than the 360 was at the same time last year (both 9-10 months from there respective launches).

Gamespot is still posting a few reviews/week for PS2 titles, 17 total so far for the month of July. A lot of games still coming out for that massive install base, and many of them will not be compatible on any PS3 until updates are done.

Having less there makes them even less compatible is all.

Going to end up with 'ok, here's a backcompat patch.... you guys with hardware emulation get these games, you guys with software (more limited) emulation only get these. maybe next time!'

I still think the PS3 spec is way overdone. If the paging file size isn't all that big and I'm not planning on doing online DL's, I think a 2-4GB flash card should handle the trick for all the necessary saves and temporary storage. Wouldn't that reduce production costs(or at least shave some cost off)?

The Majority of people would be downloading content, thats why the 360 elite with a larger hard drive was issued, as alot of users were getting full Hard Drives, especially after the MS download service started for TV and Movies, the Hard drives fill up quickly.

Sony will be starting a similar service as well.

And they're not eliminating backward compatibility. It's just that they will do the emulation in software rather than hardware. Emulation is an old trick. Properly, and extensively, done, it can produce acceptable results.

Perhaps as titles are released that take better advantage of the PS3's abilities, you might change your mind. At least, there's no worry about the machine failing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)