Rumor Alert - Goodbye DISH Platinum... Hello Blockbuster Movie Pass!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So, essentially Dish is throwing in streaming and 1 DVD out at a time to the Platinum Package, now renamed Block Buster Movie pack... Interesting since with the current PP you get to stream EPIX shows too. I have the platinum package free for the year, I was thinking of dropping it when my free deal runs out, but now it looks like it would be worth $10.

Seven of the Platinum channels have nothing to do with movies, this makes as much sense as the name Qwikster.

Are they going to break those channels out?

To me, This is great news, I dropped Netflix (now /qwikster) like a rock when the prices were going to jump. I even decided to go to Blockbuster and do the 2 out at a time for $15 a month, but hey If I can get 1 out at a time for the no extra cost and keep what I consider an already good deal for plantium. That is just a bonus to me...saving me $15 a month. This is great news if it is true.

maybe Scott can put a bug in someone's ear and have a block buster channel developed for the Roku? Just think of the mone Dish would save on extra receivers!!

The sad part is that everytime E* announces good news it is usually to cover some bad news.....So what is the other half of the rumour scott?

No support for the 622?

If the 622 cannot support it, then it's time Dish took it out of the same "family class" as the 722/722k. If this is to be Dish's "crown jewel", then Dish cannot be sending techs out to replace a defective 722/722k with a 622 or use them on HD new connects or upgrades, which sometimes happens when Dish ships a bunch of 622s to the warehouses and requires (demands) that they be used.

Haven't heard anything on the 622, but if what I am thinking is correct the 622 won't support it as it does not support VC1 streaming. (I think its VC1)

Lets wait and see what they announce on Friday first. :)

I think a lot of folks are going to be excited and happy.

Let's say we can stream through our VIP boxes. If you have 2 tuners can you stream 2 different shows at the same time? This should be very interesting. I really hope we can stream through the receivers.

If it is streaming I doubt that tare

I wonder how this will affect those who already have Blockbuster Movie Pass. The streaming account might be nice if Dish made significant improvements in Blockbuster quality which was awful last winter. Having it on the 722 is really nice!

I think I could add the $10 package for near break even if I drop my game portion of Movie pass. Never really use it anyway. I sampled all the store had and basically lost interest in the 'everything looks the same' game world. I really should cancel that game pass! Good reminder. :)

This looks like a winner for Dish Network and the streaming is most exciting if they get the quality up at least as good as the competition. More specifically, 5.1 audio and HD image quality. Last winter Blockbuster looked like bad VHS with picture jumping and frame skipping.

Keep us posted, Scott and thanks.

Due to HDNet & HMC, we get Platinum. Streaming/rental thrown in is a nicety, but not one we'll use much.

Haven't heard anything on the 622, but if what I am thinking is correct the 622 won't support it as it does not support VC1 streaming. (I think its VC1)

So, if the 622 isn't supported, I'd have to go to the 722... My 622 has been incredibly reliable, I almost hate to have to swap it out. What is VC1 streaming, btw?

Status
Please reply by conversation.