Rumor - Free Hd Equipment From Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm surprised no fanboys have pointed out the most favorable interpretation - that the 2 year commitment is only for dealers to qualify for commissions. Maybe the 1 year commitment will still be available directly through D* :D

vurbano said:
IF someone paid 1000.00 for it, had it a year and D* makes it obsolete or useless and starts giving away a better one for free then they inessence paid an $83.34 rental fee every month (12mo.). A reallyyyyy BAD deal. D* has to give existing HDtivo owners some kind of compensation for this.

Even tho this is all just rumor, this is my concern. If it is for new customers, what will they do for existing customers.

If D* gave me a comparable reduced monthly bill, equivalent to my HD stb's, then I would consider the 2 year agreement.

moonman said:
Added fuel..........
From above referenced Slate article,

Correction, June 16, 2005: The article originally stated that Rupert Murdoch had placed an order for 20 million digital video recorders, when in fact he only announced that he intended to do this.

I hope he follows through with this intention.

This is just an attempt to keep more people from jumping to E*'s new HD lineup, although it's a smart one because there's a ton of people stupid enough to fall for it. If a new customer falls for this 2-year crap for the free equipment and the HD picture still sucks, there's nothing he can do but lube up & bend over.

Existing customers, get your free MPEG-4 swap-out & be happy they're giving you that much.

I think it may be entirely possible that current HD customers will have to make a commitment to one or two year programming for a free equipment swap. If this is to take effect on August first, I would expect the MPEG4 rollout to begin shortly around there as well. With the delay of Spaceway 2, I almost wonder if they will start the upgrade in the areas that Spaceway 1 was supposed to cover. The will start rolling soon.

mx6bfast said:
Even tho this is all just rumor, this is my concern. If it is for new customers, what will they do for existing customers.

If D* gave me a comparable reduced monthly bill, equivalent to my HD stb's, then I would consider the 2 year agreement.

Me too. And my HDtivo.

HHMMMM..I just reread the pdf. I think I can infer some things from it. We all know MPEG4 will require new equipment. While I don't think an equipment swap will be started by then, I wouldn't be surprised if an announcement of such is made by then. That would bring the cost of current HD equipment to plummet. People may be inclined to pick them up with the hope of getting the newer equipment for free. Anticipating this, D* will be requiring the two year commitment by then.

I just hope the "2 years" is a financial decision and not a marketing one. D* knows how the market will develop and certainly what they are planning - I hope they haven't determined that they need to lock their "advanced equipment" users into 2 year commitments to buy them time to complete their competitive position. :(

Oh my was I late to this thread and news. I've spent some time calling and have got a few new bits of info. I swear why am I always last to get this info.

It seems that the HMC will be the rental product while the basic MPEG4 HD DVR will be given away. From what I've got it seems that customers will indeed get more than one HD DVR if needed with no upfront cost but how many more I don't know but at worst if you need say three you would end up paying a small fee for the second and third. From what I've heard is that buying them in volume would get their (D*) price low enough that they can give them away with a two year agreement.

Now customers who use this offer and have an existing HD Tivo you will get something more and most likely in the form of a programming credit with a smaller committment. Now if you have just a basic HD box don't expect much but a free HD DVR upgrade with a two year agreement. Now again any offer and/or upgrade offer would always require a one year agreement so your only looking at an extra year.

It seems that a rental option was their first plan before they got in the final cost assesment and decided that giving them away with a two year agreement was better for them and they would keep the DirecTV Protection Plan so those of us can get free replacements if their boxes go bad.

Longhorn, is this to say that by August 1st the new equipment will be MPEG4 capable?

The MPEG4 boxes will arrive sometime after August 1st but should be within the month of August maybe into September.

I do feel bad about your H-10 but its not like these changes are new or anything. You knew if you did a little research that your box would soon not work with anything new.

I've been very happy with our HD box and even though I would hate to trade it in, I would do it for a similar quality MPEG-4 box.

Longhorn,

Any idea when Directv will release pictures of the new 5-LNB dish and some of the MPEG-4 boxes?

Neutron said:
I've been very happy with our HD box and even though I would hate to trade it in, I would do it for a similar quality MPEG-4 box.

Longhorn,

Any idea when Directv will release pictures of the new 5-LNB dish and some of the MPEG-4 boxes?

You may not have to trade-in your box if you agree to a two year commitment.

Now as far as pictures go I have no idea when that will occur. My guess is soon and I also would guess (hint hint) that a user manual in PDF form will be arriving on directv.com sooner than you would think.

keenan said:
From above referenced Slate article,

Correction, June 16, 2005: The article originally stated that Rupert Murdoch had placed an order for 20 million digital video recorders, when in fact he only announced that he intended to do this.

I hope he follows through with this intention.

I wonder how many HD DVR's in a bulk sale this much money buys....

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050615/155863.html?.v=1

LonghornXP said:
It seems that the HMC will be the rental product while the basic MPEG4 HD.

This kinda blows. Not too keen on a rental. Free HD DVR's... Damn. Maybe the HD DVR's will have an HMO option? That would be slick.

I'll take 4 HD DVR's please. Two years, no problem. My cable co sucks.

LonghornXP said:
You may not have to trade-in your box if you agree to a two year commitment.

Now as far as pictures go I have no idea when that will occur. My guess is soon and I also would guess (hint hint) that a user manual in PDF form will be arriving on directv.com sooner than you would think.

Are you referring to the D10-200 and 300?

If you look on the last page... It's clear the new dish is a 36" dish.

"Requires DIRECTV Receiver with a 36" DirecTV multisatellite Dish"

Programing changes:

Total Choice $41.99
DirecTV Basic $9.99
DirecTV Prefered Choice $29.99

Prefered Choice or Basic plus an HD pack anyone????

Skyboss said:
If you look on the last page... It's clear the new dish is a 36" dish.

"Requires DIRECTV Receiver with a 36" DirecTV multisatellite Dish"

Programing changes:

Total Choice $41.99
DirecTV Basic $9.99
DirecTV Prefered Choice $29.99

Prefered Choice or Basic plus an HD pack anyone????

The dish required for the 95 orbital is what the 36" dish requirement is referring to. 95 is for international programming, not regular or HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts