Rumor - Free Hd Equipment From Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am sure it will be a typical RJ45 connector for any wired ethernet connectivity (that is industry standard). At one time I had read something about it having wireless capabilities, maybe Longhorn can talk about that, but if you are hard-wiring your home go with CAT5e at a minimum or CAT6 for the best upgradability.

LonghornXP said:
From what I'm hearing when new national HD channels are offered customers who agree to keep the HD Pak for two years will also get a free HD DVR upgrade. You can also upgrade to a basic non DVR HD box with a one year agreement to the HD Pak. Also whatever the price is for the HD Pak that price will be locked in for the length of your agreement of 1 or 2 years. So even if the price goes up your price will stay the same.

For the most part that is what I'm hearing. Again right now so much of the plans are rumored and scattered even for us with contacts so its best to wait until the official word comes out but I'm very confident that we HD customers will be taken care of even considering the NFL Sunday Ticket issue.
That sounds very attractive, probably too good to be true. As to the 2 yr commitment, I've been with DTV for 10 years anyway and have been very happy. I don't forsee changing providers.

Alan,

I don't know why your would think I was saying existing customers who want to access national HD MPEG-4 channels would have to pay for the upgrade. I was trying to say the exact opposite, you will be upgraded for free, assuming you are willing to agree to an additional 2 yr. DIRECTV programming commitment.

-Robert

Many cell phone carriers also require a 2 yr. commitment. DIRECTV is only asking for two years when the client is getting advanced equipment, which is very expensive for DIRECTV to subsidize under the new free advanced equipment model.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Alan,
I don't know why your would think I was saying existing customers who want to access national HD MPEG-4 channels would have to pay for the upgrade. I was trying to say the exact opposite, you will be upgraded for free, assuming you are willing to agree to an additional 2 yr. DIRECTV programming commitment.

You stated:

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
On a separate issue and regarding all existing DIRECTV HD customers; you will be upgraded to MPEG-4 equipment at no charge when MPEG-4 becomes available in your DMA.

Which to me, sounded like DirecTV would only upgrade you to MPEG-4 equipment once MPEG-4 HD-LIL became available to you, which would mean that when they added MPEG-4 national channels, you would have to upgrade yourself (until such a time as DirecTV stopped broadcasting MPEG-2 HD and then they would also upgrade you). I agreed with CPanther95 in that DirecTV would probably work out something with you if you WANTED to upgrade early, but it's been a long week and it just came out a little too negative sounding.

~Alan

My question is if the new MPEG4 HD DVR to replace the HD Tivo comes out in August or September, but the HMC until doesn't come out until December/January, can I get the HD DVR first and trade that in for free when them HMC comes out?

Chris

Why does everyone keep seeking 100% confirmed details on something that still has NO CONFIRMED DETAILS? Just be patient. Just as soon as you get a "maybe" or "rumor" answer to your question, and that isn't what happens, you will be right back here posting 1000 times in 100 separate threads how you were deceived and screwed. Just have some patience until the true details are announced.

This sounds good to me. But I would like Direct to add some HD ch's along the way. Lots of changes for lots of local ch's. But what if any national HD ch's will be added? I like the fact that Direct is giving the equipment for free...with the 2 yr commit...which is what I commit to for my cell phone. I have a built in HD tuner in my TV so this could be a very big score for me. Even if the tv goes bad , I wouldnt have to buy another HD receiver. Sounds good.....but there really isnt much I watch in HD on Direct.

charper1 said:
Why does everyone keep seeking 100% confirmed details on something that still has NO CONFIRMED DETAILS? Just be patient. Just as soon as you get a "maybe" or "rumor" answer to your question, and that isn't what happens, you will be right back here posting 1000 times in 100 separate threads how you were deceived and screwed. Just have some patience until the true details are announced.

People should listen to these words of wisdom and not make big choices for the future based on rumored offerings. These are only said to give customers an idea and maybe an advanced look at what will be coming.

Also the HMC will support wired ethernet (both megabit and gigabit), wireless (802.11g only with 802.11x firmware upgrades for future standards) and coax (IPTV networking). So it will support everything from day one but D* would only install and support one type of connection. Say if D* only supports coax (IPTV) connections that is how they will install it. Now that doesn't stop you from connecting it via ethernet and/or wireless but you will have to both support and install it yourself. So if you have problems and an tech comes out and sees that your using say wireless D* will charge you for that service call if the tech sees this.

I hope this gives you an idea of what the options will be along with their drawbacks. Also its not known if a customer can swapout the HD DVR for the multiroom HD DVR for free.

Edit...after reading my post I just want to make this clear. On the example above with the tech having D* charge you if you have it connected via a non supported standard they would only charge you for the tech visit if the problem your having is related to that connection option. So if your box is having problems actually recording a show that has nothing todo with the networking you won't be charged for the visit. But if your issues are with wireless signal strength problems and D* doesn't support wireless but coax connections you will be charged for that visit. Just wanted to make that clear that you won't get charged just because you have it connected. Again you will only be charged if your problem is directly related to the non supported connection.

As long as the perspective remains that it is just a rumor - I actually enjoy talking it out and analyzing the angles. As long as people don't jump on a possible negative angle and keep complaining about it (at least until it is confirmed). Until then, for those of us with a sh*tload of D* equipment, I'd think taking the most positive outlook would give us the most piece of mind until details come out that cause concern.

So far nothing in this rumor conflicts with what I would have expected - and with what I'm hoping for from D*. If some bad news details come out, I'll be the first to bitch, until then, I'd just as soon remain naively hopeful. ;)

CPanther95 said:
As long as the perspective remains that it is just a rumor - I actually enjoy talking it out and analyzing the angles. As long as people don't jump on a possible negative angle and keep complaining about it (at least until it is confirmed). Until then, for those of us with a sh*tload of D* equipment, I'd think taking the most positive outlook would give us the most piece of mind until details come out that cause concern.

So far nothing in this rumor conflicts with what I would have expected - and with what I'm hoping for from D*. If some bad news details come out, I'll be the first to bitch, until then, I'd just as soon remain naively hopeful. ;)

I like you more and more you know that.....only in a friendly type way of course.

vurbano said:
Lunch is free with a 2 year jail term.
From SkyReport today:

DirecTV HD Box Program Starts Aug. 1
The news is out on DirecTV's latest effort for high-def TV, and SkyRETAILER has the details in today's edition.
The satellite TV giant said it recently sent a letter to retailers indicating that under a new program consumers who sign up for a two-year commitment tied to a qualifying programming package will be able to receive - for free - advanced set-top boxes, including equipment with DVR capabilities and systems that will connect subscribers to HD programming. Standard/basic boxes still require a one-year commitment, the company said.

The program starts Aug. 1. That's about a month before DirecTV begins to deliver NFL Sunday Ticket, its exclusive football package that will offer games in high-def.

Hey "Mr. Positive" - based on your eating habits to date - we'll make sure and come and see you on visitation days. :D

Yup it is great to see the media picking up now on news we broke on Friday. :)

Once again we did it again, and some folks try saying SatelliteGuys is not a real media site. :D

The honest truth is we break news first because we try harder. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:

Once again we did it again, and some folks try saying SatelliteGuys is not a real media site. :D

That's why many of us check here for the first news!

....and we'll certainly hear the details of the new hardware and program here too first.... :D

f300v10 said:
The fax does not say a new HD DVR will be free. It says that they will have an aggressive offer that will require a 2 year commitment. Also this notice is being sent to retailers. That implies the subscriber is purchasing something. I doubt this has any impact on any swap-out/upgrade offer from D* for existing HD-Tivo or HD users. It does imply that they will retail new HD DVR's for less than the $1000-$700 that we paid.

I have to say they do hint to free boxes. It says that All customers that do not meet the credit check will have to pay $100-$200(maybe not exact) respectivly to the type of equipment and service agreement signed. SO SOunds like free to me otherwise.

Scott Greczkowski said:

So, it is 'news' now that the media is reporting it? You had this thread labeled as 'rumor' and still do. :what

I'd be shocked if the HD DVR is actually free even w/ a 2 yr agreement. I'll bet that non DVR HD boxes and SD DVR boxes will be free. You will probably be able to get a HD DVR for an obscenly low price (compared to today's HD DVR).
As for the 2 year agreement, most of us here would have issues w/ it because we are tech savy enought to want the newest items out... Most folks don't care about that; they just want to watch football, or The OC, or Survivor, whatever... Those folks will see a 2 year agreement for free equipment as a great offer.
Personally, if they let me trade in my OH SO LOVELY Samsung 360 for anything that works, I'll be happy...:p

I'll hold out for the HMC. It's probably the only way I'll get full value when I upgrade. I've got no problem with the 2 year commitment, but I'll want no commitment when the HMC rolls out to make sure my whole house gets upgraded reasonably (unless the upgrade path from MPEG4 STBs and DVRs to the HMC is specified ahead of time.)

JBKing said:
So, it is 'news' now that the media is reporting it? You had this thread labeled as 'rumor' and still do. :what

The 2 year commitment is true, the free HD equipment is still a rumor until official confirmed. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts