Rumor - Free Hd Equipment From Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I thought the only new Mpeg 4 HD-DVR was the new media center box. That isn't due until Christmas or after. The other new DVR they showed was a SD-DVR. How would this program start in August unless they are going to discount the currernt HD-DVR? Sounds like they are just going to push their new SD-DVR and try to get rid of their old HD-DVR stock because it is only Mpeg 2.

pstineme said:
I thought the only new Mpeg 4 HD-DVR was the new media center box. That isn't due until Christmas or after. The other new DVR they showed was a SD-DVR. How would this program start in August unless they are going to discount the currernt HD-DVR? Sounds like they are just going to push their new SD-DVR and try to get rid of their old HD-DVR stock because it is only Mpeg 2.

Many have reported that there will be both an HD-DVR and the HMC box. The HD-DVR will be out first.

CPanther95 said:

Notice to Sky Report: That's why it's labeled "rumor" until confirmed. ;)

Yup those Skyreport guys sure are great professional reporters.

I laughed the other day when they took our rumor and reported it as fact.

I laughed harder when they issued an appology this morning.

I am going to laugh again when DirecTV does release the details (and I am 99% sure it will be released) and the Skyreport guys need to report it again. :)

Oh what fun!

LonghornXP said:
Do you have any idea how much trouble they have making a customer who just spent 600+ agree to another year of service. Trust me in that not all of us sit here and agree to the year.
Now either way I do have direct and indirect knowledge that prices would be either free or very low cost. Those three might have said they wouldn't be free but they won't in any way be close to current prices.
Again their high-end customers will get the best deals which a low-end customer won't get as good a deal. This would be no different than customer rentionion offers that are based on what you order.

Could not have said it better myself ;) Customers will not agree to taking it in the a$$ unless there is a good reason. Like I said about 3 days before this rumor broke, it is the next logical progression. Funny thing is the US cell companies actually have one of the worst products available anywhere. Of course the discounts will be tiered.

Another thing that people fail to see (or acknowledge) is that TODAY with a 1 year commitment, you can get 4 rooms installed for FREE with one DVR. This has been the standard offer for about a year now ... even the D10 units probably cost $100/ea in raw pricing. Robert from VE or any dealer would know the real costs behind a free install and I would bet that 1 year at TC+ is a break-even point fro D*.

I see the Directv CEO mentioned a new HD-DVR due out in October. If he says October, that is still two months after this new offer is due out. So if there is any kind of deal on a HD-DVR, doesn't it have to be the current Mpeg 2 version? They wouldn't start taking orders 2 months in advance for new customers would they? Do they even have the lnb hardware to support these new systems mass produced yet?

pstineme said:
I see the Directv CEO mentioned a new HD-DVR due out in October. If he says October, that is still two months after this new offer is due out. So if there is any kind of deal on a HD-DVR, doesn't it have to be the current Mpeg 2 version? They wouldn't start taking orders 2 months in advance for new customers would they? Do they even have the lnb hardware to support these new systems mass produced yet?

I for sure would be aware if a CEO said October for the NDS HD DVR and lets just say no CEO has ever said a month only a quarter. Simply they are rushing to pump out an HD DVR before football season starts and it looks like that will happen. From what I gather all HD customers will be offered this offer and customers who want new national HD channels must upgrade their box to get them. Also after about two months if you don't have the new box you won't get current HD channels. The reason for this is that to expand HD offerings and quality of the HDTV feeds while using current satellites (not requiring a new dish install right away) this is what they must do. So if they convert all the network feeds and current national HD offerings along with NFL Sunday Ticket games that are all on current satellites that would almost double their bandwidth while putting all HD channels at full resolution and bandwidth.

I hope most of you can see the method to their madness. When they say what new upcoming HD channels will be offered and that a customer can upgrade from a basic HD box to an HD DVR for nearly free with a two year agreement most likely that customer would do this. Customers who don't want to agree to a two year agreement (when they have the option of returning the hardware to avoid paying any fees) aren't worth the bother for DirecTV and to be honest I can't really blame them because those few customers will be more pain than good. Now if they don't offer any new national HD channels and don't increase bandwidth and than require a two year agreement my answer would be very different and that would be screw you DirecTV and here I come cable or Dish Network.

longhorn,

SHOCK and AWE is coming from castle rock/ el segundo..soon

its going to be AWESOME

voOm......WHO?......WHAT?

20TH CENTURY FOX STUDIOS, FOX SPORTS, FOX MOVIE LIBRARY , can you say SINCLAIR GROUP ? its connections to other studios!! CABLEVISION???, Rolling On The Ground Laughing My A** Off

LonghornXP said:
...So if they convert all the network feeds and current national HD offerings along with NFL Sunday Ticket games that are all on current satellites that would almost double their bandwidth while putting all HD channels at full resolution and bandwidth.

I know all this stuff is rumor but I saw it somewhere that Sunday Ticket was staying mpeg2. Is it now looking like it's going mpeg4? Or are you speaking to what Fall '06 will bring after all the upgrades?

gene1138 said:
I know all this stuff is rumor but I saw it somewhere that Sunday Ticket was staying mpeg2. Is it now looking like it's going mpeg4? Or are you speaking to what Fall '06 will bring after all the upgrades?

From what I hear sometime in July of 2005 we should hear the following things below directly from D*.

Pricing and details for both the hardware and upcoming HD channels including what specific channels will be offered and what channels will come later.

They will also tell NFL Sunday Ticket SuperFan customers that they must get their boxes replaced before the NFL season if they want to get the HD games. SD games won't require any changes. From what I hear it seems that a few channels will be added by the NFL season while the remaining base of HD customers will get their boxes swapped out. The plan is to have all current customers with new HD boxes before Thanksgiving so they can add additional national HD channels. Also during this entire time customers within the top 25 markets will start getting their dishes upgraded but they might get new boxes before they can get an installation date setup but that box would get all current and new national HD offerings.

At least those are the plans I've been hearing these last few days. Most of their HD customers can hook the box up themselves and for the very few that don't D* will charge a small fee to that customer to bring out the box "and" replace their dish to avoid another installation visit. Now a customer who can plug in the replacement on their own won't have to pay for the dish installation when that time comes. Now if this is true don't go thinking that by paying that amount you will get HD LIL channels faster even if your in one of the top markets but nothing will be turned on until a good percentage of customers in your market have been upgraded.

LonghornXP said:
Now if this is true don't go thinking that by paying that amount you will get HD LIL channels faster even if your in one of the top markets but nothing will be turned on until a good percentage of customers in your market have been upgraded.

This makes no sense to me. When Dish Network added SD-LIL channels here in my DMA, you got channels whenever you got SuperDISH installed. I've always been under the idea that DirecTV worked the same way whenever people needed a Phase III dish to get their SD-LIL, so why would it be any different for HD-LIL?!

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
This makes no sense to me. When Dish Network added SD-LIL channels here in my DMA, you got channels whenever you got SuperDISH installed. I've always been under the idea that DirecTV worked the same way whenever people needed a Phase III dish to get their SD-LIL, so why would it be any different for HD-LIL?!

~Alan

Sorry I haven't slept in quite a while.

What I meant was is that if your in one of the top 25 markets and have been offered a free or low cost box replacement that by paying that 35 buck fee to have a tech come out and install a dish while he plugs in your box won't get you HD LIL channels any faster. I know most of you figured this but I'm just saying it because I can see people wanting todo this. The above was talking about customers who can't plug in their replacement box on their own and need a tech. I'm saying you have no advantage by paying that cost even if you can plug everything in because that new dish on your roof won't get you anything new quicker.

Edit...all this above is being said because there is a good chance that customers will get a free replacement box (so they can free up bandwidth on current satellites) months before customers in the 25 markets get new dishes installed.

so they would just ship out the new boxes. that is great i really would hate anyone else messing with my equipment too. also i wonder how this is gonna affect me here in haiti receiving the new signal from the new satellite locations. any news if there is ka lnbs available already to work with dtv?

LonghornXP said:
From what I hear sometime in July of 2005 we should hear the following things below directly from D*.

Pricing and details for both the hardware and upcoming HD channels including what specific channels will be offered and what channels will come later.

They will also tell NFL Sunday Ticket SuperFan customers that they must get their boxes replaced before the NFL season if they want to get the HD games. SD games won't require any changes. From what I hear it seems that a few channels will be added by the NFL season while the remaining base of HD customers will get their boxes swapped out. The plan is to have all current customers with new HD boxes before Thanksgiving so they can add additional national HD channels. Also during this entire time customers within the top 25 markets will start getting their dishes upgraded but they might get new boxes before they can get an installation date setup but that box would get all current and new national HD offerings.

At least those are the plans I've been hearing these last few days. Most of their HD customers can hook the box up themselves and for the very few that don't D* will charge a small fee to that customer to bring out the box "and" replace their dish to avoid another installation visit. Now a customer who can plug in the replacement on their own won't have to pay for the dish installation when that time comes. Now if this is true don't go thinking that by paying that amount you will get HD LIL channels faster even if your in one of the top markets but nothing will be turned on until a good percentage of customers in your market have been upgraded.

Let me see if I get this. The HD Sunday Ticket games are going to be using MPEG-4 requiring box swap outs THIS year? Thats great for folks with H10's and other HD receivers but does this swap out for HD DVR's going be coming before the football season? If not, that means my HD Tivo will not be able to do HD Sunday Ticket football games.

They should get rid of whoever green-lighted those stupid "Movers" commercials and promote whoever came up with the Willy Wonka NFL ST commercial.

That's the one. The music is from Willy Wonka - or at least I think it is. The only thing I dislike about it is that the song sticks in your head for a day or two every time you see it. From an advertising perspective, that's gold.

Co-STAN-za. :D

shipping

Will they ship the new receiver to you mailing address if you ask them or to your work?

When the new dishes are out, if you don't want the installer coming to your place could you buy a new dish off say ebay? Would all the channels come in then since you have the new receiver in the house?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pace Micro to supply D* with next gen STB's in 2006

Locals in SW Georgia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)