Rumor - Free Hd Equipment From Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
CPanther95 said:
That's the one. The music is from Willy Wonka - or at least I think it is. The only thing I dislike about it is that the song sticks in your head for a day or two every time you see it. From an advertising perspective, that's gold.

Co-STAN-za. :D

What gets me is why is it everytime there is a commerical for Sunday Ticket or anything having to do with football the actors have to be fat and lazy.

I can't stand the parade of football players one either.

"It's MY Sunday Ticket!"

And you are telling me Barry Sanders would rather do that pathetic commercial rather than playing football?

Has anyone heard whether D* will require a physical exchange with your existing HD box to get the new MPEG4 boxes? I would like to keep mine for various reasons.

Someone help me out here. All this talk about MPEG4, new boxes, etc., has me just bit concerned. I must confess to not keeping up with the latest technology, so please forgive my questions, but here it is.

I currently do not have any HD equipment. Just the standard oval dish with dual LNB and standard Sony B55 receivers. I was planning on upgrading this summer and had bought a triple lnb dish. I was looking at getting Sony 300 receivers.

What do all these future changes mean to me, given what I was planning to do? Does it mean that what I was about to get will be unusable?

The DMA you are served by will determine what & when to an extent, but there is still no solid official details or timetable yet. I have attached the DMA list so that you can at least have some idea. From what LonghornXP has mentioned (I think it was him) is that if you are in #1 - #12 and have no HD right now, that waiting might be your best option, but outside of that, go ahead with you plans. Those current receivers will serve you well and should allow you a nice trade up.

Attachments

• ! DMA List.xls
    34 KB · Views: 215
sheridan,

Correct. You will need a new 5 lnb dish (not yet released) and new MPEG4 compatable HD receivers (also not released yet). The Phase III dish and the Sony 300 will not be able to get any new HD channels released on the new Spaceway system.

Thanks for the response guys.

Being that I'm in Houston, I guess I should wait if it is going to happen later this summer or even fall.

One more question just occurred to me. You said "Spaceway System". What happens to the existing HD channels that I could get now if I was already setup? Do they go away? If so, that would mean a LOT of people S.O.L. if they don't upgrade.

Ah...then if I didn't want to wait, I could get what I was wanting and upgrade later down the road.

Thanks.

CPanther95 said:
That's the one. The music is from Willy Wonka - or at least I think it is. The only thing I dislike about it is that the song sticks in your head for a day or two every time you see it. From an advertising perspective, that's gold.

I like it too CPanther95. There is an annoyance factor to it, but it's cute, it took some thought (something you can't say for most of DirecTV's commercials), and it does get your attention!!

~Alan

Yes, but............ I am not trying to steer you one way or the other.

The thought is that NEW customers in those first 12 DMAs will get a sweeter signup deal, but I have no firm details on this either. Just trying to give you what I can. I myself wouldn't be able to wait either.

Let us know what you work out.

P.S. The Sony SAT-HD300, the LG LSS-3200a are exactly the same with maybe some slight menu changes. I think I was told that the Hughes HTL-HD was like 97% the same internals as well. call Robert at VE and ask him; he also provides member discounts, but not sure he would have any more of these 3 boxes. Its worth a phone call.

LonghornXP said:
The plan is to have all current customers with new HD boxes before Thanksgiving so they can add additional national HD channels. Also during this entire time customers within the top 25 markets will start getting their dishes upgraded but they might get new boxes before they can get an installation date setup but that box would get all current and new national HD offerings.

Thanks, Longhorn.

So it seems D* is adjusting to life without an on time launch of spaceway 2 or just going to plan B for just such an event.

Think this makes sense. Get everyone new mpeg4 boxes and then flip the switch to the new scheme. Reduce bandwidth needs and get the image quality back up to true HD.

charper1 said:
Yes, but............ I am not trying to steer you one way or the other.

I know, it's a decision I have to make for myself. I was just looking for information to help me. And you have been most helpful on that. Thanks.

sheridan said:
Thanks for the response guys.

Being that I'm in Houston, I guess I should wait if it is going to happen later this summer or even fall.

One more question just occurred to me. You said "Spaceway System". What happens to the existing HD channels that I could get now if I was already setup? Do they go away? If so, that would mean a LOT of people S.O.L. if they don't upgrade.

My suggestion is to wait and not buy new hardware for these reasons below.

1. If D* does swap out all the boxes for free or low cost you would have spent money you didn't have to. Now if this is done that means that all national HD offerings will be in MPEG4 only so all current HD boxes will not support any national HD offerings.

2. If D* decided to keep current offerings in MPEG2 and get everyone upgraded on the dish side of things before adding many new national HD channels than the current boxes can only tune in current HD channels and nothing new can be tuned. Now the new MPEG4 boxes can tune in channels in both MPEG2 and MPEG4 which means that the new boxes coming out can tune in both existing and new HD channels. Either way even if D* keeps some channels in MPEG2 its only a matter of time (way less than a year) until they are switched over to MPEG4 only.

My suggestion is nothing great can come from buying today while only something bad can happen if you buy today. Even as an existing D* customer without HD you will soon be getting a much better deal on an HD DVR than you can get today on just the HD box. I don't usually like to say this but you would be stupid to not wait at this point in the game. I wouldn't say this 6 months ago but when you have gone this long without HD you would be nuts to spend way more money over another month or two. Even more stupid because your in one of the first markets to get HD LIL channels.

gene1138 said:
Thanks, Longhorn.

So it seems D* is adjusting to life without an on time launch of spaceway 2 or just going to plan B for just such an event.

Think this makes sense. Get everyone new mpeg4 boxes and then flip the switch to the new scheme. Reduce bandwidth needs and get the image quality back up to true HD.

Also be aware that if this is done customers who have the SuperFan package or customers that just ordered it will get their boxes first by mail. So even though the process might take until the end of November the first to be served will be NFL Sunday Ticket SuperFan customers.

Edit...I'm starting to wonder if D* raised their price on purpose to reduce the amount of box replacements they had todo before the NFL season starts. That would be the type of stupid thing a D* exec would have running through their minds.

HD Channels?

While we're rumoring, any idea what HD channels will be offered and when?

Thanks for that input Longhorn.

The upside to waiting is possible free upgrades from D*.

The downside is D* insists on having their stuff installed and I don't like that. I much prefer to install myself for a number of reasons.

I'll have to weigh this. Thanks again.

sheridan said:
Thanks for that input Longhorn.

The upside to waiting is possible free upgrades from D*.

The downside is D* insists on having their stuff installed and I don't like that. I much prefer to install myself for a number of reasons.

I'll have to weigh this. Thanks again.

They won't make you have an installer hook up your replacement box. Now if you want a free replacement dish they require their installers to replace it. Now you can buy the dish at retail and install it yourself but its not free.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pace Micro to supply D* with next gen STB's in 2006

Locals in SW Georgia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)