Rumor!!!(Sudden shift of DirecTV HD Plans for the Worst)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
But ESPN has specifically said that ESPN2-HD is part of the new espn package pricing, so holding out wont save them any money. They are already paying for it.

Also, the biggest seller for HD programming is sports. This way they can provide more hockey, baseball, etc. I think there will be more HD movie channels added in 2005. My contacts are in the trenches and they have not said anything about it not coming as planned with SpaceWay.

Call me the minority here, but I really couldn't care less about movie networks in HD. My TV does a fantastic job upconverting a clean 480p signal, and it rivals anything I've seen on HBO-HD. AFAIC, if D* adds TNT HD and ESPN 2HD, that's a really nice HD package. TNT HD's PQ for HD movies looks better than anything the others have shown me, so I'll live with that. InHD would be a nice addition too, but I'll wait until it appears on ANY DBS provider before I start nagging D* about this.

I've said I'll wait & see. I'll wait & see how the new HD-DVR's turn out this coming year & would love to see InHD also. D* has surprised us a little....maybe some big surprises soon would be nice. I also expect a price increase sometime Spring, but they better offer something in return...or my thinking hat goes on.
Come on D* take care of us.......

Would much rather have the network HD feeds as opposed to Cinemax HD, Starz HD, Encore HD, TMC and/or the InHD. I don't subscribe to those and never will, HD or not.
Would like to have TNTHD for the Nascar. As far as ESPN2 goes.....doesn't mean that much right now. Like others said, most of the programing on ESPN isn't HD so why would 2 be in HD. Just a waste at this point IMHO

As a Direct TV stock holder going with HD Locals it by far the best thing to do as it will make more money and beat cable. Cable does not have too make National feed HD channels yet on the average. Cable does havealmost all local HD.

As a Direct TV HD customer I would rather have more HD national channels.
If cable ever has more HD channels I will switch to cable of course.

Its all about balance.

Direct may say this is there plan now, but in this market you have to adjust to beat the competition.

I would not worry too much about it till the SATs are up. They will then do the right balance to make Me the Stock Holder and ME the customer happy.

slacker9876 said:
Movies and sports are the future of HD, if D* does focus on HD LIL, they are plain stupid ... so I am not buying in just yet. By the end of 2005 HD local will be available to more than 85% of the nation. Here in the "Denver" market we have been hot for 2 years now and out high power facility that reaches me 50 miles away (I know from FOX) will be complete mid year covering all 2.1M of us.

Although I must admit the most highly watched HD content (in this house) is the networks so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

D* is still my only real option for viewing. No one else in this market has HD much less an HD DVR that actually works.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't D* say they were going to do all the NFL in HD in 2005 for the ticket. So, I think they are handling the sports part. I think this plan is great no matter how you look at it, besides it is still WAY better than Dish! :D

LonghornXP said:
So again this is best case they could offer either 100 national HD channels OR 500 local HD channels but they can't do both. Now front what I've been told is that each satellite can offer about 70 national HD channels or around 700 HD local channels so that would be the more likely number.

I posted a qoute the other day from DirecTV's press release about the SpaceWay satellites, and I don't think many people have talked about this part of the press release that much yet. I thought it was interesting. Take a look and see what I mean. Click here.

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
I posted a qoute the other day from DirecTV's press release about the SpaceWay satellites, and I don't think many people have talked about this part of the press release that much yet. I thought it was interesting. Take a look and see what I mean. Click here.

~Alan

Good catch and something I've overlooked and haven't heard anything about. I'll have to ask about this because all I've ever been told is that these sats will be used for HDTV "ONLY" but HDTV would include both national and HD LIL channels but in what order and on which sats would hold what is a whole nother story to debate.

Also an update for all of you. My magic 8 says that ESPN 2 HD will be offered within the first week of its launch on all TWC and BHN systems that have room along with DirecTV.

Edit...not saying most of you didn't know this by now but the TWC corp deal for ESPN HD did include ESPN 2 HD and DirecTVs network ABC deal also included ESPN 2 HD and a reworked ESPN HD deal along with it.

Longhorn - Thanks for the updates. But I don't know. I think back to where we were a year ago, and for me (and I know this doesn't apply to everyone) it was a pretty good year for D*. I now get CBS, FOX, NBC and ABC in HD along with the HD pack which as long as its free doesn't bother me. But in 2004 I watched the Super Bowl, NBA All Star game, the MAsters and World Series (including the LCS) in HD,along with 7-8 NFL games per week. To me that's a significant improvement over where we were 12 months ago. I remember reading numerous threads about how we'll never see HD locals on D* anytime soon because of bandwith and now they're going to have capacity for 500 by mid 2005.

I just think they have a plan that they aren't leaking out to anyone. I think 12 months from now we'll be sitting here with enough HD to keep us happy. Now don't get me wrong, I understand there are many people who aren't benefitting from the current network feeds and I am sure they are pissed. I would be also. But honestly, I also have Cablevision to get INHD, MSG and FSN and Starz in HD. I can honestly say that INHD is no different from HD NEt in my eyes. There's some great eye candy on it from time to time, but for the most part the novelty has worn off. If I was D* I would find a way to add a couple more of the HD movie channels TNT-HD and ESPN 2 HD and keep carrying out the Local plan to make everyone happy and then they are good to go. In my mind I really have to think that is the way they are going. Just my two cents.

thanks for the update longhorn.. little better news there.. I hope d* has espn2 hd on thursday as the bearcats are the debut game!! go cats!

jim

mulesqb said:
Longhorn - Thanks for the updates. But I don't know. I think back to where we were a year ago, and for me (and I know this doesn't apply to everyone) it was a pretty good year for D*. I now get CBS, FOX, NBC and ABC in HD along with the HD pack which as long as its free doesn't bother me. But in 2004 I watched the Super Bowl, NBA All Star game, the MAsters and World Series (including the LCS) in HD,along with 7-8 NFL games per week. To me that's a significant improvement over where we were 12 months ago. I remember reading numerous threads about how we'll never see HD locals on D* anytime soon because of bandwith and now they're going to have capacity for 500 by mid 2005.

I just think they have a plan that they aren't leaking out to anyone. I think 12 months from now we'll be sitting here with enough HD to keep us happy. Now don't get me wrong, I understand there are many people who aren't benefitting from the current network feeds and I am sure they are pissed. I would be also. But honestly, I also have Cablevision to get INHD, MSG and FSN and Starz in HD. I can honestly say that INHD is no different from HD NEt in my eyes. There's some great eye candy on it from time to time, but for the most part the novelty has worn off. If I was D* I would find a way to add a couple more of the HD movie channels TNT-HD and ESPN 2 HD and keep carrying out the Local plan to make everyone happy and then they are good to go. In my mind I really have to think that is the way they are going. Just my two cents.

I agree they have done quite a bit more this past year. I've dropped DirecTV simply because I have no need for Network HD channels because I can get them OTA (I'm the lucky few that can get easy OTA HD). Also I would have liked them to add more SD Premium channels and Premium HD channels because I was getting quite tired of paying 8+ bucks a month for three total Cinemax channels with two of those being the main Cinemax E and W feeds. Not even Cinemax HD and that was eating at me for a while. Also I won't be renewing Sunday Ticket next year even with all games in HDTV because I'll be at Ray J in Tampa for half the season so the other half I'll be home to enjoy ST but I always end up going to Mugs and Jugs or Winghouse with my friends so it seems like a waste of money for me. Now if I wasn't a season ticket holder that might be another story but today my cable company (<<about the throw up for saying cable) offers more HD channels I care about along with a decent cheap HD DVR and more than three Cinemax channels and throw in On Demand.

But bottom line is overall I have big likes and very big pet peeves with both companies. Also I'm dropping Voom until they offer their HD DVR. Between DirecTV, Voom and my internet I was paying over 300/month and I'm pretty sick of paying that to get everything I want. If one frikin company could offer everything I want I'll stay with them for life. If BHN can simulcast their analog channels in digital and offer all HD channels out right now I'll never leave them. They just have to give me ESPN 2 HD, Universal HD, Cinemax HD, Starz HD and Encore HD. Oh and NBC HD, WB HD and UPN HD would be welcomed as well.

ESPN2 HD will be worth watching once Baseball season hits as a LOT of games are shown on the deuce. Ditto for Baseball Tonight......

I'm hoping they reduce the number of PPV channels to make room.........

hancox said:
Call me the minority here, but I really couldn't care less about movie networks in HD. My TV does a fantastic job upconverting a clean 480p signal, and it rivals anything I've seen on HBO-HD....
That is quite easily explained by the fact that D* does not broadcast HBO-HD. Well yeah it is in the line-up but the bit rate on my SD DVD player is 3 times higher than what D* sends so yeah ... of course it will look better.

Anyone want to buy an HD TiVo? I am shedding mine ... and soon.

<<buzzer sound>>

HBO-HD is from E* and cable, never D* :)

I stand by my original statement :)

slacker9876 said:
That is quite easily explained by the fact that D* does not broadcast HBO-HD. Well yeah it is in the line-up but the bit rate on my SD DVD player is 3 times higher than what D* sends so yeah ... of course it will look better.

Anyone want to buy an HD TiVo? I am shedding mine ... and soon.

I doubt I can afford it, but how much?!

~Alan

BobMurdoch said:
ESPN2 HD will be worth watching once Baseball season hits as a LOT of games are shown on the deuce. Ditto for Baseball Tonight......

I'm hoping they reduce the number of PPV channels to make room.........

Yes, but will they give us the games in HD? I can't remember if all the BB games on last year were in HD or not. Anyone without CRS know?

I have no problems with this move.

I don't care that much for INHD, and TNTHD was pretty empty anyway when I had it on Voom.

My locals tend to come in like crap on the HD front, and suffer a lot more break ups than I ever had with Voom and it's OTA reception. Not sure why, same OTA Antennae same location on roof etc etc.

I would rather see the locals in HD and improved HD Quality on all existing HD Channels first and foremost. InHd is another channel of re-runs and may never appear outside a cable company offering, ie, they are not on any Sattelite Network yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)