RV HD DNS Channels Revoked

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

doctor J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Oct 26, 2005
In a no-brain move "again" from D*: My RV HD New York DNS stations have been deactivated. 4 separate CSR's have been unable to resolve the issue. My billing address is B'ham(HD Locals via MPEG 4 active since April) but is a separate RV account and no changes should be made on this account. SD New York and LA DNS channels are ok but no one is able to re authorize the NY HD channels that were active prior to today. This is similar to the LA DNS issues of a few weeks ago but is maddening that no front line people know Why? or How? to correct. I'm on the road and SD NASCAR is no comparison to HD.
REALLY IS A PAIN!!!!
Doctor J

Rv Dns

Not sure what dept to go to.
2 calls : 2 levels each.
Last rep was able to acknowledge 6 or more calls of similar problem and could not explain.
Where to go next?
Need HD Fox tomorrow night in Daytona!!!
Doctor j

If you check other forums, many have lost HD DNS in the past several days. Typical BS answers from the CSR. I imagine you are caught up in that.Sounds like they installed a new program and based on zipcodes, things started shutting down automatically. But quite frankly, I don't know that anyone knows what is really going on right now.

1/2 Fixed

This morning CBS-E (80) & NBC-E (82) are on but ABC-E (86) and FOX-E (88) are still off with error 721. Again no one "knows" what the computer is doing. "HAL" at his best I guess. At least they are working on it.

Doctor j

Hd-rv

2 HD's thank you.
Today it's back to square 1
No Network HD channels : all error 721 ie no subscription
All 8 SD's just fine

Doctor j

doctor J said:
2 HD's thank you.
Today it's back to square 1
No Network HD channels : all error 721 ie no subscription
All 8 SD's just fine

Doctor j

wasnt trying to be a jerk, or pinpoint you no anything, sorry if it came out that way.

If I were a betting man, and I am not, there might be some sort of "crack down" going on for people that might not have all the required paperwork turned in, regardless of how long they have been "turned on". Have you called past CSRs and asked about that paperwork you should ALREADY HAVE ON FILE with DirecTV since you say it was working before (that I mentioned above). Once they see that you should be back in business ASAP.

Last edited:
Rv Hd

stuart628 : No harm implied

Optical Serenity : I've only got 2 receivers in the RV
Charper 1 is the man with all the equipment.
32 " Olevia LCD overbed & 37" Sharp Aquos LCD over sofa/ breakfast area

My account info reflects completion of required paperwork :
DIRECTV DVR Service
DIRECTV Protection Plan
Network: CBS HD
Network: FOX HD
Network: NBC HD
Network: ABC HD
TOTAL CHOICE PLUS-no locals
HD Package

Still no DNS -HD and CSR's no help
Will try again after holidays

Doctor j

Have you tried asking for a "re-hit" (do they do that any more? I haven't lost signals in years) Tried a full reboot of the receivers just to see if that would do it?

Rv - Hd

Yes x2 on 2 different days
and yes x3 or 4 on both receivers
"They" don't know why the resets aren't working.
I'm not the only one with the problem and it seems to be in a recent "computer update"
Just keep trying back was the best suggestion.
The original option was a service call to "check" the receivers but I know that is bogus.

Doctor j

Again, its a nationwide problem with people with DNS - same thing you are experiencing. Other forums have people relating the same thing - and no one has an RV waiver except you. Apparently has to do with zip codes and new software they installed playing havoc.

Unbelievable Resolution

HD-DNS channels are back on in RV but somewhat astounded at steps to get there.
After a call to CSR and insistence on progression to supervisor with brief stops to "programming" and finally to "billing";the lost channels were reactivated.
It seems than two issues were in play that required attention. The programming supervisor finally agreed that a major change was underfoot in D*'s tracking of DNS HD channels and that markets with HD LIL were being affected. He also said that DNS eligibility was being tied to your account via local channel packages. Therefore I was "required" to activate LIL channels in my billing zip code to allow the RV waivers to be seen! This is totally against my understanding of the RV waiver process and completely different than what I was told with my RV activation a bit more than 1 year ago.
The second issue was also somewhat unbelievable . I was told that the computer had "lost" my credit check and had to authorize another credit check. I have been a D* customer for at least 7 years.

In the end however: with credit checkup completed the reset reactivated my lost HD-DNS channels. Now as a bonus I also have LIL HD and SD channels not active before. Not Right but I guess I shouldn't complain.

Doctor j

Credit check is questionable unless they were trying to re-establish establish your billing residence, but the other issue is fully legit. DBS providers are being "come down on" over DNS services period; so don't feel slighted or singled out.

If you care, you can call and complain ABOUT the NAB to the FCC, your local representatives, and the NAB itself. Explain to them that the DMA system is ancient system that is only a protection of illegal monopolies and should be ended in favor of users in an all-inclusive system.

DBS providers, although subject to some DB errors, are 99 times out of 100 only doing what they are told when it comes to DMA, DNS, LIL, and blackout type stuff.

Dma

Charper1

I agree and have.
Our district congressman's local home in across the street from me.
I'm sure he's tired of my ranting on network restrictions , shvera , NAD
and cable franchise monopolies.
I enjoyed the early days of C band with east & west coast networks and the Denver 5. Maybe something like that can be on demand in the future.

Doctor j

doctor J said:
Charper1

I agree and have.
Our district congressman's local home in across the street from me.
I'm sure he's tired of my ranting on network restrictions , shvera , NAD
and cable franchise monopolies.
I enjoyed the early days of C band with east & west coast networks and the Denver 5. Maybe something like that can be on demand in the future.

Doctor j

And before the 3 of you make an idiot out of yourself to a congressman...do the research to find out where the real problem is - hint - its not in the places you list.

HDTVFanAtic said:
And before the 3 of you make an idiot out of yourself to a congressman...do the research to find out where the real problem is - hint - its not in the places you list.

Actually I have talked directly, face to face with McCain, and if you have specific, new and different factual info than what he discussed with me, please post it, with sources; don't make more vague, non-specific, secretive sounding comments.

COME ON NOW! HOW ABOUT PLEASE SHARING the factual info you must have. Nothing you could have is "hint, hint" secret; just spill it; telling us your research. Trying to hide what you think you know, different from the rest of us, is what sounds like being an idiot (YOUR WORDS).

Thanks for calling us idiots without knowing who we are, what we know or who we talk too. How rude! Because I think what we were talking about (toward the end of our chat you quoted) was the over-all current issue of DMAs and how they are being run like illegal monopolies and how they seem to have outlived the need and I would love to hear your info on why that is idiotic and wrong.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Actually I have talked directly, face to face with McCain, and if you have specific, new and different factual info than what he discussed with me, please post it, with sources; don't make more vague, non-specific, secretive sounding comments.

COME ON NOW! HOW ABOUT PLEASE SHARING the factual info you must have. Nothing you could have is "hint, hint" secret; just spill it; telling us your research. Trying to hide what you think you know, different from the rest of us, is what sounds like being an idiot (YOUR WORDS).

Thanks for calling us idiots without knowing who we are, what we know or who we talk too. How rude! Because I think what we were talking about (toward the end of our chat you quoted) was the over-all current issue of DMAs and how they are being run like illegal monopolies and how they seem to have outlived the need and I would love to hear your info on why that is idiotic and wrong.

FACT....Advertisers have forced ALL BROADCAST STATIONS to stop making their broadcasts available nationwide because the unions have different rates for talent depending on local versus national. All Broadcast stations must sign affidivates they will not stream or distribute the commercials outside their licensed area. If you refuse to sign this for the agencies, you will not get any advertising revenue. This is why you hear commercials clipped on radio streaming for example. The advertisers demand it and do not want to pay talent additional revenue AFTRA demands.

FACT....The networks will not allow their programming outside of what the unions and agreements with the program providers allow for. Case in point, many stations have tried to simulcast their TV programming on AM stations. They can simulcast their orignal programming (news for example) but even the National News is denied by the networks as it violates union rules and program agreements.

FACT - The networks themselves continue to push for a lifting of the 38% National ownership cap do not want the DNS removed. It makes no sense for them to increase National Ownership limits if their product is available on every street corner.

FACT - Most stations would love to have their local programming available to a wider area - especially if it would bring them additional revenue. Unfortunately, they are subject to the advertising agency, unions and other rules that prevent this. They also are subject to the fact that they have no rights to the syndicated programming or network programming except in the area for which they pay for it - the DMA where they are licensed. They cannot afford to pay the freight for national syndication.

That said, complain all you want about the NAB and the FCC. The problem is you have totally missed the enemy. Despite what the networks want you to believe, they know without the local stations they are history. Simply put they can only own stations in 38% of the country and advertisers do not advertise on network TV for 38% of the country. Thus, the networks are bust if no limits were in place - as 100,000 or even 1,000,000 on the internet cannot give them the fire power for the billions in advertising revenue they generate.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)