RV Hopper Install - Solo Node with AB Switch

TechWriter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Currently I have a Hopper & 2 Joeys installed in my RV with a single Solo Node installed inside my RV. Here's my current install diagram: http://rvseniormoments.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/hopper_08_04_2012.jpg

Note that my installation is set up so that I can switch from an automatic rooftop DISH 1000 to a portable DISH 1000.4 using AB switches that are installed BEFORE my Solo Node. (This switching back and forth is necessary when I'm parked under trees.)

Anyway, with my current set up I have to run dual coax to my portable dish. This can be a PITA on long cable runs.

Since the Solo Node can be used outside, I was thinking about attaching a Solo Node to my portable 1000.4 dish and running a SINGLE coax back to my RV. I know I'll need a tap and splitter to do this, but it looked viable until I saw this Hopper frequency diagram: http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=73901&d=1328637421

My AB switch is rated at 2150 MHz -- which is fine for the Solo Node inputs. However, it looks like the switch won't work if it was attached to the Solo Node Hopper output connection -- which needs 3000 MHz.

What do you think?

You're still going to have to run at least 2 coax cables. One for the Host (Hopper) and one for the Client (Joeys) from the Solo Node to the receivers.

I always buy dual coax, copper core 3MHz wire. I carry 350' (2x100, 2x50, 2x25). I used to have a Hughesnet dish which used half of the wire. Don't used the Hughesnet any more but I carry all the cable.

I considered mounting a Dual at the tripod dish and the roof dish to have two Hoppers. Still needed two cables from each dish to the RV.

I always buy dual coax, copper core 3MHz wire. I carry 350' (2x100, 2x50, 2x25). I used to have a Hughesnet dish which used half of the wire. Don't used the Hughesnet any more but I carry all the cable.

I considered mounting a Dual at the tripod dish and the roof dish to have two Hoppers. Still needed two cables from each dish to the RV.
3Mhz is not necessary, 2MHz will do.

Yes, if you mounted a Dual Node, then you would need 2 cables, but I'm just trying to use a Solo Node.

Here's a link to a dual cable run that is 75' long bonded together available at Amazon. It's what I use when I need to "get out under the trees". That solves all my problems.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032TUMFO/?tag=satell01-20

I already use dual coax. I'm trying to just use SINGLE coax.

Another option is to just hook up the node's first input to the portable dish. You will only have two tuners usable instead of three but maybe that's ok for temporary. I would also try the switches, they will probably work.

3Mhz is not necessary, 2MHz will do.
I don't use 3GHz cable for the 3GHz, I use it for the solid copper core which I find is more manageable.

I use 3GHz barrel connectors to get the best signal when using two or more pieces.

Using dual coax cable is a lot easier than two single cables.

Using dual coax cable is a lot easier than two single cables.
But the wiring scheme I'm talking about would place the Solo Node at the portable dish with only a SINGLE coax back to the RV -- not two cables.

Last edited:
What you are saying would work fine (without the switch,) but it's all down to the A-B switch. It might be able to pass the 3GHz required for the Hopper, might not, there's only one way to find out!

Looking again, you'd really need two nodes to get this right. Else if the switch works and you switch it to the dish without a node you'll only have two tuners.

But the wiring scheme I'm talking about would place the Solo Node at the portable dish with only a SINGLE coax back to the RV -- not two cables.
The reason for my suggestion is that you must be using two single cables now and that is the frustration of the problem.

While new cables will have a cost, so will getting and additional Solo as you will need one for the roof dish, and the cost of the Tap. And you will be making you external cable runs more sensitive to total length because you will be using the 3MHz side of the Solo to get to the Hopper.

I just look for the simple solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)