RV Satellite Setup Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD-DTVdave

Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
I am a DirecTV customer, and have an HD setup (including HD dish with a single LNB that I use for camping - RV). The setup has the SWM device in the configuration.. I have no trouble finding the satellite and getting a good signal when I set this up outside in my yard at home for practice, but when I went camping last weekend, I was unable to hook up with the right satellite for some reason.

I had a totally clear line of site to the sky at any direction (no obstructions), no clouds, etc.

I live in Utah, and was in Central Utah when trying to locate the satellite signal. At home, my satellite readings are present for 101 degrees, 99(c), 103 degrees (ca), and 103 degrees (cb). Can you help me identify which of the satellites in your list that I should be shooting for?

Also, should I be adjusting the dish to the "magnetic" Azimuth, or the "true" Azimuth values provided by your site?

:welcome to Satelliteguys HD-DTVdave!

You should be aiming for the 101 satellite, using magnetic north for the azimuth.

I am a DirecTV customer, and have an HD setup (including HD dish with a single LNB that I use for camping - RV). The setup has the SWM device in the configuration.. I have no trouble finding the satellite and getting a good signal when I set this up outside in my yard at home for practice, but when I went camping last weekend, I was unable to hook up with the right satellite for some reason.

I had a totally clear line of site to the sky at any direction (no obstructions), no clouds, etc.

I live in Utah, and was in Central Utah when trying to locate the satellite signal. At home, my satellite readings are present for 101 degrees, 99(c), 103 degrees (ca), and 103 degrees (cb). Can you help me identify which of the satellites in your list that I should be shooting for?

Also, should I be adjusting the dish to the "magnetic" Azimuth, or the "true" Azimuth values provided by your site?
You say the set up has SWM (SWM LNB and Power Inserter I'm presuming), is this in both locations ?
Are you using the same exact set up at home as you are in the RV is what I'm asking.

Reason being, if your using a SWM at home and not in the RV, you'll need to do the Repeat Sat Set Up in the RV and select the correct LNB listing and Multiswitch when prompted.
If you don't do this, you won't get any signal to the LNB as it's looking for the power to run the LNB and thats not there till you re do the set up.

IF your using the SWM set up in the RV as well, disregard my mentioning about the Sat Set up as the Power inserter from the SWM will power the LNB.

Chip & Jimbo, thanks for your responses . . . . .

Jimbo, Yes, I am using the SWM in both locations. Before I went on the camping trip last weekend, I had the configuration set up in my back yard, and it was working perfectly. Also, after I came back from the trip, I set it back up in my yard just to make sure that there wasn't a problem with the receiver or SWM, but again, it worked perfectly then as well. The configuration works just fine, it's just that when I was at this other location (central Utah), trying to use the new azimuth setting and new elevation to locate the signal, I wasn't able to find the right satellite, and consequently, wasn't able to enjoy the DirecTV programming there.

Chip, could you provide me with the actual satellite name from the dish pointer site drop-down menu which you referred to as the "101 satellite"? By the way, there is only a single LNB on the HD dish using the SWM, but I believe that it may be tracking 3 satellites.

Yes, what looks like a single lnb contains three, which picks up 99, 101, and 103. 101 is Directv 4s.

Dave,

You obviously did something different between your setup in your backyard and that is what Chip and Raoul are trying to help you identify what you did differently. But, first let me answer your last question.

On dishpointer.com you have two options. 1) You can scroll down the satellite list until you find 101 DIRECTV 4S | DIRECTV 9S | SES 1 and click on that, or 2) scroll further down the list and find the "Multi-LNB" section and select DirecTV SL3 (99W, 101W, 103W). I like this second option better because it gives you the exact skew setting versus the offset from 90 degrees. Since I you are most likely using a magnetic compass, use the magnetic compass value for your alignment value. When you use your compass be sure it is away from your tripod mast to that it does not get influenced by the metal in the tripod. Of course, the accuracy of your setting values is all dependent on you entering the correct zip code or address in the first entry on the screen.

But, also a note on basics. Step number one is that you need to have the pole you are setting the dish on perfectly vertical. I strongly recommend getting a "post level" from Home Depot for around $5. This has magnets that hold it on the pole while you are doing the adjustments to the legs to get things vertical. It is so much better than other methods.

The other setup steps you seem to have down since you were able to do a good setup at home. So, the only thing I can figure is that you had a level spot at home and an non-level spot where you were trying to setup the dish and you didn't get your pole vertical.

Hope this helps,
Bob

You must have a deluxe model post level! :) The two I have are plastic and have tabs for rubber bands to hold onto a pole.

IMG_0546.jpg
IMG_0546.jpg
I really appreciate everyone's input! I am now very confident that I know which satellite I need to be looking for, and DishPointer is giving me the settings I need to use.

Bob, I see that the settings for the two different satellite selections that you pointed out in the DishPointer drop-down table give exactly the same settings, so clearly they are the same satellite. Thank you for that info, seriously. I think this thing is beginning to come together for me now, with everyone's help. Regarding the level, I've been using a bubble level that DirecTV provided with the pole "set up kit". I've tried to include an image with this note so you can see the device and give me some feedback. It sits inside the post and I believe that it facilitates getting me very close to a truly level (vertical) post when I start the process. However, if you or anyone else has found these bubble levels to be inaccurate, I will certainly go get the post level that you had mentioned - a worthwhile investment if it helps the accuracy.

dfergie, i have the same issue that you do regarding my phone. The location is in an area that has no phone signal. Are you referring to the "Dishpointer Augmented Reality" app for the iPhone? I think with the info that I print out from the values returned by the DishPointer web site, that I will already have the info that I need to locate the satellite (although that app does look pretty sweet!).

This is awesome that you all are providing me with the assistance that I need. I am feeling much more confident that I will be able to successfully complete this process the next time I go to this camping location. Thanks to all of you!

Those levels that fit in the top of the pole aren't particularly accurate. Better to use a post level.

Fair enough. I will be making a trip to a few of my local hardware / home improvement stores today! I can see where the bubble level could get out of position easily and I've often wondered about their accuracy. After taking a look at a few post levels online, I agree that it would be to my advantage to get something that was more "industrial strength". Appreciate the feedback.

One thing I do that is way less bulky and faster is, I use a Phase III dish with an SL3 LNB, I had to notch the mount on the dish, but It is way quicker to set up using a tripod & chain link fence post cut down ... I can usually get what channels I want to watch using it.

One last question . . . how critical is the skew setting? On this mobile unit, the skew was set by the DirecTV technician to 102.5 degrees, because it was set up here at my home. The skew parameter returned by DishPointer shows 103.1 degrees for the site that I camp at. Will that small differential in the dish skew cause me a problem at the camp site, or is it within reasonable tolerances? By the way, if it is of any assistance, the place where I camp is Fish Lake, Utah.

It is critical. You are pointing at something the size of a bus that is 22,300 miles away. That's why you don't tighten the bolts really tight until you are done adjusting.

I have the highest regard for Chip's input because I have followed his advice several times and found him to be an excellent source for good information. But, after an experience on our last trip I have to disagree a bit on how critical the skew is. You notice that I recommend using the DirecTV SL3 settings versus the SAT101. I had my skew setup totally wrong because I went 18 degrees the wrong way in Westwego, LA. Since everything worked OK I thought nothing about it. Then I saw the correct setting on the SL3 setting by using the SL3 settings and went out and changed the skew to the correct setting. Nothing changed. (I do not recommend doing this. I am just reporting on an observation I had on our last trip.)

But, I would recommend changing the skew to the 103.4 shown for Fish Lake, UT. And you cannot deviate from the 43.7 elevation and 151.3 azimuth. As Chip says, it is a very small target 23,304 miles away. You have to be precise.

For RV purposes, I preset the elevation and skew with the figures from dishpointer.com. (I just set the main brace on a table for this adjustment.) Then I put the arm on the vertical tripod set to my best estimate of the azimuth. Next, I bolt the dish to the mount. Then I setup my meter and go for the best measurement on sat 101. When I get that I just tighten things down and start up the receiver. Nine times out of ten I have a very strong signal with no other adjustments required. Once in a while I can get a bit better by readjusting the elevation. I would never recommend this for a home install. But, for a temporary RV setup this works very well for me.

Here is the post level that I use.

Reactions: raoul5788
Thanks Bob, I appreciate the kind words. Bottom line, does the setup work with the setting the way it is, with a good enough signal strength to keep from losing signal in rainy weather. If the setting you have works under those conditions, then don't mess with it. If you are using it temporarily and the weather is good, don't worry about signal strengths in the 70s, you will be fine. BTW, I like that post level! It folds, so it takes up a lot less room than the ones I have been using. It's only about $1 more than the cheaper ones. I may just have to pick one up!

Great input, guys. I have learned more about setting up satellite dishes from you in the last 24 hours than I knew during the last 8 years of having my portable setup. Who says you can't learn stuff when your 64? : )

I now have my post level (used it to practice my set up of the tripod this afternoon) and it worked very well. Much easier to see if you're level or not. Thanks for that advice!

Interesting feedback on that skew setting experience in Louisiana from Bob . . . If you had no issues with it being that far out on the skew, then I should be well within tolerance on my setup now. Earlier today after reading Chip's comments, I went out and re-adjusted the skew from 102.5 degrees to the 103.4 degree setting (which is where it needs to be for my camp site). I didn't change anything else, and I still had a very strong signal and my setup continued to work as well as it did before the setting change, so I will just leave it there. With my old eyes, I may be off .5 degrees anyway, since each mark on the scale represents 2 degrees and the marks are very close together.

The good news is that my dish has some nifty adjusters on the back of it which allow me to really fine-tune my settings once I have identified the satellite. Rather than loosening and tightening nuts & bolts, I can use a nut driver to turn a couple of adjustments screws (one on the elevation and the other on the azimuth), and it makes micro-adjustments that were not possible with my old setup. Including a pic if anyone is interested.

I feel like I am set, and will probably rent a small portable generator (inverter) and haul my equipment to Fish Lake for a day sometime this week, and see if I can get some success. I will report back to let you all know how it went. Again, thanks for your active participation. You've helped me a lot.

IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG

Those small knobs are for dithering, which is the fine tuning of the dish. You did exactly what you should have!

Great input, guys. I have learned more about setting up satellite dishes from you in the last 24 hours than I knew during the last 8 years of having my portable setup. Who says you can't learn stuff when your 64? : )

I now have my post level (used it to practice my set up of the tripod this afternoon) and it worked very well. Much easier to see if you're level or not. Thanks for that advice!

Interesting feedback on that skew setting experience in Louisiana from Bob . . . If you had no issues with it being that far out on the skew, then I should be well within tolerance on my setup now. Earlier today after reading Chip's comments, I went out and re-adjusted the skew from 102.5 degrees to the 103.4 degree setting (which is where it needs to be for my camp site). I didn't change anything else, and I still had a very strong signal and my setup continued to work as well as it did before the setting change, so I will just leave it there. With my old eyes, I may be off .5 degrees anyway, since each mark on the scale represents 2 degrees and the marks are very close together.

The good news is that my dish has some nifty adjusters on the back of it which allow me to really fine-tune my settings once I have identified the satellite. Rather than loosening and tightening nuts & bolts, I can use a nut driver to turn a couple of adjustments screws (one on the elevation and the other on the azimuth), and it makes micro-adjustments that were not possible with my old setup. Including a pic if anyone is interested.

I feel like I am set, and will probably rent a small portable generator (inverter) and haul my equipment to Fish Lake for a day sometime this week, and see if I can get some success. I will report back to let you all know how it went. Again, thanks for your active participation. You've helped me a lot.

View attachment 99700 View attachment 99701 View attachment 99702
Don't forget, when you dither, you DO have to loosen the Correct bolt, make the adjustment and tighten back up again .... :)

:welcome To the Site HD DTV Dave :hatsoff

Most of us are here to help on this site, if you have questions theres usually someone around to help out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.