RVU setup questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Justin Roylance

Original poster
Jun 8, 2016
USA
I just purchased a 2016 model Samsung 4K Smart tv with built in RVU (UN55KU6300F) and I want to know the process for connecting/activating it. Here's the setup:
-Kaku SWM3 satellite on roof
-4way SWM switch in basement, connecting to all 4 rooms/wall plates
-HR54 in Living Room; it's connected to my wifi wirelessly
-C51 in Kitchen
-C51 in Master Bedroom
-no receiver in Man Cave (where RVU tv will be), and wall plate is connected to satellite system

So 1st question... how does the RVU tv connect to the system? Do I just plug a coax from the wall plate into the coax port on the tv? (That was what some guy told me, but that didn't sound right) Do I need a DECABB to convert the coax signal from the wall plate to ethernet and plug that directly into the ethernet port on the back of the tv? Or does the RVU tv connect to the DirecTV through my wifi network?

2nd question... once I've connected it to the system, do I add it just like the clients? With the PIN number generated in the "Add Clients"? I'm assuming I'll have to call D* and give them some information like the serial number on the tv or something??

And lastly, will it cost me anything more per month? I've had the service for less than a month, and I know that right now the price is supposed to be the same up to 4tvs.

Sorry for the long post, just want to utilize this feature. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I'm not versed in how RVU hooks up, it used to be ethernet with a deca.

You do activate by calling to add a client and then connecting to the Genie with the pin, just like the clients.
There is an additional $7 fee like any client or receiver. If you just activated under the promo, then it would be your 4th receiver and would be included.

I'm curious if anyone has successfully activated a 2016 model RVU, since DirecTV's website doesn't have them listed yet.

IIRC DIRECTV normally won't allow for a customer to connect/activate a RVU TV, they want to send a tech out to install and add the client to your account.

That said you need a DECA (DIRECTV Ethernet Coax Adapter) that allows the TV's ethernet connection to the DIRECTV coax network. The TV also needs to have an internet connection via the DIRECTV network for activation.

As for your 2016 support question, I have a Samsung UN49KS8000 and the RVU client has been available in the firmware since the 1112 software update.

Reactions: jcrandall
rad - how does the speed on your Samsung compare to other clients (it you've used them). Previously the biggest complaint about RVU was it was pretty slow, even slower than early clients, but I haven't read my that have experience with the newer models of TVs and I'm curious if it has improved.

For example, I had a C31 on a HR34 for a couple days and turned it off and sent it back because it was so slow.

Today I use a C51 with a HR44 and I am satisfied with the performance.

IIRC DIRECTV normally won't allow for a customer to connect/activate a RVU TV, they want to send a tech out to install and add the client to your account.

That said you need a DECA (DIRECTV Ethernet Coax Adapter) that allows the TV's ethernet connection to the DIRECTV coax network. The TV also needs to have an internet connection via the DIRECTV network for activation.

As for your 2016 support question, I have a Samsung UN49KS8000 and the RVU client has been available in the firmware since the 1112 software update.

I installed a Sony 800c rvu recently . I have a hr 54 with 3 c41 and when I installed the rvu it knocked out one of c41. Had to installed an hr 25. You need to connect the rg 6 to the deca that goes to the TV via Ethernet. It took 4 techs on the phone to get it installed correctly. The first 3 didn't know how to do it. You will need to give them the serial and Mac address for the DECA and then they will ask for the Mac address for the TV. Believe it or not this is still new to some of the customer service reps on the phone. They charge 7 dollars a month.

rad - how does the speed on your Samsung compare to other clients (it you've used them). Previously the biggest complaint about RVU was it was pretty slow, even slower than early clients, but I haven't read my that have experience with the newer models of TVs and I'm curious if it has improved.

For example, I had a C31 on a HR34 for a couple days and turned it off and sent it back because it was so slow.

Today I use a C51 with a HR44 and I am satisfied with the performance.
Jason, actually not bad, at least compared to the C61K that's also on the set, but still not as fast as the Genie directly. There are two things that I don't like with it, no setting for screen fit on aspect ratio and no stacking of skip commands. But then again you also were using a HR34, hell that boxes performance sucks no matter what.

There are two things that I don't like with it, no setting for screen fit on aspect ratio and no stacking of skip commands.

And the TV doesn't allow you to change aspect ratio?

I just purchased a 2016 model Samsung 4K Smart tv with built in RVU (UN55KU6300F) and I want to know the process for connecting/activating it. Here's the setup:
-Kaku SWM3 satellite on roof
-4way SWM switch in basement, connecting to all 4 rooms/wall plates
-HR54 in Living Room; it's connected to my wifi wirelessly
-C51 in Kitchen
-C51 in Master Bedroom
-no receiver in Man Cave (where RVU tv will be), and wall plate is connected to satellite system

So 1st question... how does the RVU tv connect to the system? Do I just plug a coax from the wall plate into the coax port on the tv? (That was what some guy told me, but that didn't sound right) Do I need a DECABB to convert the coax signal from the wall plate to ethernet and plug that directly into the ethernet port on the back of the tv? Or does the RVU tv connect to the DirecTV through my wifi network?

2nd question... once I've connected it to the system, do I add it just like the clients? With the PIN number generated in the "Add Clients"? I'm assuming I'll have to call D* and give them some information like the serial number on the tv or something??

And lastly, will it cost me anything more per month? I've had the service for less than a month, and I know that right now the price is supposed to be the same up to 4tvs.

Sorry for the long post, just want to utilize this feature. :)

FWIW I just Jumped ship from Dish TV to To ATT/D*TV xtra bundle and HR54 ,C51 4 room std install .

For starters I like the HD picture a lot Better than Dish (only up to ) 14440p HD lite signals out of the birds that is more like the early 36" Sony XBR Wega FD HD Ready XBR CRT boat anchor I had in the early to barley mid 2000's until I gave it to my son and got my now gone 55" Sony Grand Wega 1080 Lycos slimline (for RP) set in Jan 05

Along with all that the Dish bit staving often gives up a poor HD image ,depth and chroma IMO anyway .

More on topic like someone posted you may need an HR 25 or something bridge or client device or a DECA for the Sony or Samsung RVU and D*TV 4K features or specifically the embedded D*TV apps in your RVU ready TV and maybe an Ethernet cable from the client or bridge to the TV at least on the Sony's

AFAIK Not much is free at 4K on D*TV and will be some $$ or another and not much free 4K content bandwidth = $$ to these thugs and thier content providers and I think you may have to pay a 4K service recurring fee but I'm not sure .

When I mentioned that RVU feature to the D*TV tech for my Sony 4K X850C
he wasn't having any part of that mess at all on this trip
so I let it drop and otherwise everything else was fine and it all works well with a significantly better HD picture and chroma than bit starved Dish HD lite that makes panels dither more than they should anyway.

All that mess aside there are plenty of cheaper 4K alternatives out there in the embedded 4K TV apps and Netflix and Amazon anyway and like anything else it all depends on the care and quality of the production and mixing and delivery to the end user 4K and or HDR is not necessarily a ticket to nirvana and HDR is giving mixed results to those of us with HDR sets it can be fabulous or not as good as SDR

My advice to 4K newbies is a at least a 2TB Expansion desk USB NTFS HDD plugged into the TV to play any properly formatted content from using a PC with the HDD plugged into it for the while on broadband to download phat high bit-rate 4K video files and factory demos and use a you tube downloader for 4K there unless your TV can play it directly like the Andoid Sony's. all that stuff outside of you tube is more often way better quality than anthing D*TV or Dish can offer within thier restricted bandwidths and so is Netflix HEVC 4K and Amzon Prime hires

TBH wide color Gamut + HDR are more significant than 4K and that includes SDR WCG which often implies 4K anyway. The Samsung SUHD or whatever it is this year and Sony Triluminous are wide color Gamut /HDR or HDR ready TV's

I would certainly say upgrading to a decent wide color gamut HDR or HDR ready set is a real worthwhile endeavor on any content if you know how to use it and you know your basic 3 color spaces and calibration basics.

Color space and Color volume are significant improvements in WCG and or HDR + WCG. Movies are mostly using DCI P3 well above .bt709 HDTV and full .BT 2020 is the seldom attained holy grail for now .al this has better primary's and color gradations and a billon colors vs 1.2 M .

We can see ~ 14 bit color and a sunny day is maybe 11,000 NITS so all this is very far from real life for now .

Regular LCD TV cant make decent primary colors and down the line accordingly compared to genuine wide color gamut panels.

FWIW the high bit rate UHD /WCG demos and independent videos can spin up to maybe 60 plus MBPS bursts out of a fast rusty metal HDD and blow anything away short of an UHD HDR10 /DV 4K DVD and they are real close or indistinguishable sometimes and can both put 5 star Blue Rays to shame

OH if you can load KODI 15.x something or higher into the 4K TV (or if you have it in the TV ) that's the player you want to use .

Links :

here is the good stuff: some of it is beyond excellent

Downloadable high bit rate 4K demo loops Samsung,Sony ,LG,Panasonic and some other stuff and some newer stuff ,some of the LG is more than excellent ( way better than You tube 4K VP9 )

Use your browser translator here http://demo-uhd3d.com/

TBH this is some of the best anything I've ever seen it will let know just how good your TV is OTOH it will let you know just how s***y our CATV/SAT and *some OTA service is by comparison if U have a decent TV

This place has 2K and 4K playable and downloadable stuff you have to drill down lot of stuff there I haven't checked it out a lot yet but I did score and play a few OK demo loops there .http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy . Build 14388.rs1 Microsoft Windows 10 fast ring Insider since 01/2015

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)