Ryan officially lands mega deal

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
B.J. Ryan wants to be in control.

And thanks to that mind-set, the Bossier City resident owns the largest contract in terms of total compensation given to a relief pitcher in Major League Baseball history -- five years, $47 million.

The former Airline High School star officially became a member of the Toronto Blue Jays on Monday, signing a contract reportedly on the table for the past several days.

"From the beginning of this process, we (Ryan, his wife and agents) searched for three things. We searched for a competitive ball club, a quality environment and, basically, a contract, which we knew we would receive," Ryan said at his introductory news conference at Rogers Centre in Toronto.

"I sit here today thankful that I found all of this in this franchise right here."

In 2005, Ryan, a 6-foot-6, 249-pound left-hander, saved 36 games and had a 2.43 ERA for Baltimore in his first season as a closer and was named to the American League All-Star team. That production made him a target for big-name teams such as the New York Yankees when the free-agent market opened in mid-November.

The 36 saves tied Ryan, 29, for seventh among AL relievers.

"The whole process with B.J., unbeknownst to him, probably started last February or March when we targeted potential free-agent guys we wanted to bring here to Toronto," Blue Jays General Manager J.P. Ricciardi said. "We targeted guys we wanted to bring here, not just on ability, but on quality people. We added another good guy to our clubhouse and someone who will make the ninth inning a lot easier for all of us."

Ryan, who has pitched in the majors for six-plus seasons, joins a Toronto franchise that has not finished less than five games behind the AL East champion since 2000. That has made it hard for the Blue Jays to lure big-name free agents to Toronto.

Ricciardi hopes Ryan's signing changes that. "What we sold to B.J. was that we have a good family atmosphere; we want to win; we have a commitment from our owner to win.

"I don't think selling (the team) was a big deal," Ricciardi said. "What people forget is Paul Molitor, Jack Morris and some great free agents chose Toronto at one point. Hopefully, this is the start of that again."

For Ryan, the decision was relatively simple -- and not for the 47 million reasons it would first appear.

"You just kinda take a step back and you're thankful and you feel blessed," he said about the size of the contract. "My wife (Candi) and I made a conscious effort and we picked where we wanted to go play.

"This was a good fit for us. Everything that happened after that was a bonus," he said. "It's a lot of money. And when you sign the deal, you hold up your end of the bargain. You answer the bell and you play hard."

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051129/NEWS01/511290302/1002

Wednesday's Zips-Duquesne Men's Hoops Game On ONN

Tv Can't Wait For Shootouts In Nhl Finals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts