S band. Anyone here try it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thats quite a project he undertook. His amplifier is the size of a refrigerator! Love that dual axis motor setup.

For me, I would need a down converter to bring the S-Band's 2-4 GHz signal down to my SDR's range of 0.1 to 2 GHz. I have no idea of what I would find on S-Band?

Reactions: hank123
You might get some stuff from the ISS but I am sure it is encrypted. AMSAT used to have a bird up there on S-Band, but I don't know anymore, I have not messed with that in awhile. I used to enjoy doing packet through a couple of AMSAT birds and coping the stuff that ISS would transmit in 1200 baud packet.

I used to enjoy doing packet through a couple of AMSAT birds and coping the stuff that ISS would transmit in 1200 baud packet.
I suppose I should add this was on 2 meters and 70cm, not 2.4GHz.....I was just adding that I enjoyed it and kept up with what birds were up there at the time. ;)

Guess one would have to do a scan of each sat and see what's out there... Can't find much documented other than GPS satellites.

Think Sirius/XM uses some of the S band. Built a circular polarized antenna for S band several months ago and got some spectral scans from Sirius/XM using the HackRFOne. For more information on this check out http://www.uhf-satcom.com/sband/

I used their list as a roadmap of what is out there, but not sure how dated the info is.

The Sirius/XM signal is pretty strong, just pointed the antenna straight up and got signals.

If you have one of those SDR dongles with the E4000 tuner you would be able to receive some of the lower end of the S band.

Reactions: N6BY and hank123
Think Sirius/XM uses some of the S band. Built a circular polarized antenna for S band several months ago and got some spectral scans from Sirius/XM using the HackRFOne. For more information on this check out http://www.uhf-satcom.com/sband/

I used their list as a roadmap of what is out there, but not sure how dated the info is.

The Sirius/XM signal is pretty strong, just pointed the antenna straight up and got signals.

If you have one of those SDR dongles with the E4000 tuner you would be able to receive some of the lower end of the S band.
I am fascinated by the Sirius/XM orbits and the ingenuity of whoever came up with a system of 2 satellites where one of them is always over north central US or southern Canada. Here is a link showing the orbit: http://www.tiger-usa.com/sirius-xmorbitanim.gif

Thanks for the UHF Satcom link. Lots of other data from space on S-Band, but I would think you would need a dual-axis motorized dish for some of the weaker signals? Would be cool to find a surveillance satellite and see the photos its sending down.

Here's the homebrew S band antenna (from UHF-satcom site plans) mounted on a window with suction cup gooseneck.

N6BY - great idea about surveillance satellites but might cause the fellows with dark glasses, suits, and tinted-window SUVs into paying a visit......:)

Attachments

• 100_6252.JPG
    100_6252.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: hank123 and N6BY
Here's the homebrew S band antenna (from UHF-satcom site plans) mounted on a window with suction cup gooseneck.

N6BY - great idea about surveillance satellites but might cause the fellows with dark glasses, suits, and tinted-window SUVs into paying a visit......:)
I like your antenna build. Questions: What are those coil support tubes made out of, and how did you attach them to the ground plane?

As for the men with dark glasses and suits -- if the surveillance satellite pictures are easy enough for me to download, then I'm sure the Russkies and Chinese guys already have them too. .... Then again, if those are foreign satellites spying on US, then the guys in the dark suits might want to hire me! :)

Reactions: spongella
The coil supports are thick plastic drinking straws and they are attached to the ground plane with JB Weld epoxy. I first epoxied them to a piece of scrap Plexiglas, then attached the Plexiglas with the epoxy. The straws have holes drilled in them at specific distances to maintain a spacing between the coil windings. Hot glue was dabbed where the coil wire goes through the straws to stiffen it up.

The antenna was made for casual use, not for permanent mounting outside. It was coated with spray paint to spruce it up.

F connector was attached to ground plane with center pin soldered to coil end.

Attachments

• 100_6219.JPG
    100_6219.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_6227.JPG
    100_6227.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 169

What are you able to pull out of the sky?

Reactions: N6BY
Will follow up with some screenshots. But also found some weird sounding signals that sound like ROS, but think it's some kind of MFSK.

Can we attach sound files? I am not sure. File size might be a problem though.

Will follow up with some screenshots. But also found some weird sounding signals that sound like ROS, but think it's some kind of MFSK.

What does ROS stand for? (I know MFSK is multi-frequency shift keying).

For files that are large, I usually just put them on my website and post the link here.

Youtube.... I think.

What does ROS stand for? (I know MFSK is multi-frequency shift keying).

For files that are large, I usually just put them on my website and post the link here.

Wow nice guy!

Reactions: N6BY
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)