S-Video hook - possible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sethm

Original poster
May 12, 2006
The back of our Sat box (d10? made by Hughes?) has a S video connection.
Can I use that to connect to the TV for a better picture vs the coaxial ?

Just curious.

Great, what is the proper connection set up?
I went from the Sat box to the back of my TV, but from there not sure what is next. Seems the only input feed option per my tv (LG 30FS4D) is :
TV, CATV, DTV and a 4th option.
The S-video seems to be just that a "video" input/output. So why does the back of the Sat box have a S-video connection if can't be used to send the Sat signal to the TV.

sethm said:
Great, what is the proper connection set up?
I went from the Sat box to the back of my TV, but from there not sure what is next. Seems the only input feed option per my tv (LG 30FS4D) is :
TV, CATV, DTV and a 4th option.
The S-video seems to be just that a "video" input/output. So why does the back of the Sat box have a S-video connection if can't be used to send the Sat signal to the TV.
According to the owners manual for the 30FS4D, the TV/VIDEO button is used to toggle from Antenna, Cable, Video1, Video2, Front video, Component, & HDMI/DVI. If you used the S-Video on the back of the TV, it should be Video 1. You will also need to hookup some audio cables (red/white) from the receiver to the tv (input 1 L/R) for the sound. :)

yes, that is the TV I have.

Right now my VCR is plugged into the video 1 RCA jacks .
So move that to Video 2,

Then the S-video from the SAT box to the TV and then also the audio cables from the Sat box to the TV- video 1 jacks ?

And then finally, remove the coaxial from the Sat Box to the TV ?

Just got home-
bummer my VCR does not have an S-Video, so it won't work.

(from Sat Box, cable to VCR in, the VCR out to TV in).

sethm said:
Just got home-

Seems like some people don't have the intelligence to deserve good TV. I thought the instructions to plug the "S"video cable into the TV were quite simple, nothing was stated about plugging a "S" video into a vcr.:) :) :)

sethm said:
Just got home-

If your satellite receiver has 2 sets of output connections, just do the following:

1) Connect a S-video cable from the sat rcvr to the tv (Video 1)
2) Connect a stereo cable (red/white) from the sat rcvr to the tv (L/R for Video 1)
3) Connect a composite cable (yellow/red/white) from the sat rcvr to the composite input jack on the VCR (Line 1 or Line 2)
4) Connect the VCR composite out (yellow/red/white) to the tv (Video 2)

To watch the satellite, change the TV to Video 1
To watch the VCR, change the TV to Video 2
To record the satellite channel, use the composite inputs (Line 1 or Line 2) on the VCR recording setup

:)

Boba-
Yes the instructions clear. I just forgot I have the cable from Sat Box to the VCR in, then VCR out to TV in.

Sensing a bit of a bad vibe - " Seems like some people don't have the intelligence to deserve good TV."
As a new to the home theater tech I wrote to this forum for help- not negativity.

mcbeevee, dfergie, & tonedeaf - Thanks

dfergie- so leave all the cables connected as is (except move the current VCR cables (of the TV) from video 1 to video 2, Then add the S-video (from the Sat to the TV) and insert into the video 1 in ?

I am old school, so was not thinking that the Sat box would be connected as if a video component. Thought I could only use a coax or an HDMI.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts