S-Video in 625

alosito

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
I have the 625 receiver from Dish which appears to have an S-Video port. Does anybody know if I can watch video files from my laptop on my TV through that S-Video port? If so, could you please let me know what kind of cable I need?

If your goal is to watch your laptop on the tv, just hook the laptop up directly to the tv.

Does your tv have an svideo input? Assuming it does, just use a regular svideo cable to hook them up. You may need to tweek the display properties (under windows) to activate the svideo output on the laptop.

Also consider audio options, as well. Do you have an audio receiver in the same area? If so, a plug (from radio shack) will connect your audio output on the laptop (single pin connector) to any left, right RCA style audio input on a receiver. This is bound to sound alot better than just using the laptop speakers.

KyDave said:
If your goal is to watch your laptop on the tv, just hook the laptop up directly to the tv.
That is the problem. I have a fairly old TV that doesn't have an S-Video port.

Ok. I guess you could just try a regular old MODULATOR which converts a video signal to either channel 3 or 4. You need to be sure that it has an svideo input. This one does:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_003_010_009_000&product_id=15-2526

You could try your local walmart and look for something similar - that way you could return it if it ends up looking like crap. And for the most part (text, etc) it will!! But full screen movies COULD be ok. I route my Dell via svideo to my 35 inch analog tv and enjoy watching mpeg4 stuff occasionally. But I can't comment on how this might look MODULATED to channel 3/4.

My Linux HTPC looks fine going through composite to a modulator outputting on channel 25. Text in 80x25 text mode (640x480 real resolution) is even quite readable. It's not pretty, but it's readable. But video playback looks pretty good. :)

Something cheaper and simpler you can try (not to mention it doesn't need another power cord) is an S-Video to Composite converter if your old TV does have a composite input. RadioShack has one (#15-1238) but they want $22 for it. An good place, Parts Express has one (#108-140) for $5.25. I've never tried one of these but for <$10 it might be worth looking into. :)

Thank you for the advice. The S-Video to Composite converter seems like a very easy option (it is even hard to believe). What other cables would you recommend in addition to the S-Video to Composite converter in order to have both video and audio on the TV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts