S224 for Hopper and S273 for Joey is out

So what are the new upgrades?
This is what happens, there's a report of someone getting the new software yet little information about it's content. When the masses get it immediately there's numerous reviews and critiques.
I suppose it could be chalked up to the numbers but it always seems to be the same situation. :coffee

If I were to ever be the first to get it I would be combing it through and through and announcing every little detail to the whole forum. Maybe Dish doesn't want me to get it first 'cause I might point out the flaws too :p .

EDIT: @billspin: Thanks for the screenshot, very appreciated. Just so you know, I was on your side the whole time :) . I mean, why would someone just flat out lie about saying they got a new software version? They'd have to be pretty sad individuals if they're looking to impress folks by fibbing :) . Not that it doesn't happen, this is the Internet after all, but so far on this forum I haven't seen anyone lie about new software versions yet.

Also, I think that people that would otherwise lie, are a lot less likely to lie about something like this, because as you have witnessed, people are VERY quick to call you out lol :p .

Last edited:
If I were to ever be the first to get it I would be combing it through and through and announcing every little detail to the whole forum. Maybe Dish doesn't want me to get it first 'cause I might point out the flaws too :p .

EDIT: @billspin: Thanks for the screenshot, very appreciated. Just so you know, I was on your side the whole time :) . I mean, why would someone just flat out lie about saying they got a new software version? They'd have to be pretty sad individuals if they're looking to impress folks by fibbing :) . Not that it doesn't happen, this is the Internet after all, but so far on this forum I haven't seen anyone lie about new software versions yet.

Also, I think that people that would otherwise lie, are a lot less likely to lie about something like this, because as you have witnessed, people are VERY quick to call you out lol :p .

I'd love to have the software first too. But I bet if it ever happened to me it would be when I was on vacation or some crap like that when I wasn't home to play with it.

I'm pretty sure this was only supposed to be released to employees right now, so you probably got it by mistake if you're not a Dish employee. From what I've been reading on DNS portal from people who have it, I'm glad I haven't upgraded myself to the hopper yet as this update does seem to be causing a lot of problems.

I'm pretty sure this was only supposed to be released to employees right now, so you probably got it by mistake if you're not a Dish employee. From what I've been reading on DNS portal from people who have it, I'm glad I haven't upgraded myself to the hopper yet as this update does seem to be causing a lot of problems.
Ok, I'll bite, what's DNS Portal and how do you get in?

I have looked at the uplink data and can not see any S224 spooling... plus DISH has told me no S224 has been spooled. So I am at a loss here.

If the person had S224 I think he would notice a number of changes...

Something is not right here.

I think this is the first time I've seen a regular customer get software that is not supposed to exist! There's a first for everything, I suppose... I certainly am interested in hearing what's new in this intriguing release...

I have looked at the uplink data and can not see any S224 spooling... plus DISH has told me no S224 has been spooled. So I am at a loss here.

If the person had S224 I think he would notice a number of changes...

Something is not right here.

I would really like to see a picture of the info screen from the updated boxes.

Guys,
Look at Post 1 and Post 17. I have listed what I have seen as differences. I do not call them upgrades, I call these poor quality control letting this out with these blatent errors occuring. Maybe they are not errors, but just features working as designed. I don't know. I do wish there was some kind of quality control and change control available when this is pushed out. I do not understand how I have a version that does not show as one that has gone out or sounds like it should even exist. I would really like to know exactly what is happening and why. Just my opinion, nothing more.

I will be more than happy to perform any tests for anyone and report back what I see or do not see. I am not trying to cause any problems here. I also like to understand my system software, it's features and capabilities, and try to figure our the new changes. But with this version I currently see more wrong than more good. Let me know and I honestly would like to help.

Thanks Bill

Could the programmer have pushed the wrong button at night and and had to cancel it, accidentally put it in the stream before he or she realized it? And those hoppers grabbed it before they got it out fully at 1:00 am? Or they had typo's in the R numbers for which receivers should snag it? I'm leaning for the first scenario though because there are a lot more hoppers out there then people on this forum so who knows how many s224's are really on people's machines, they just don't belong to forums and don't watch if their hopper software is updated. Most people don't, I never paid any attention before if they updated my 722k's software or cared for that matter. I just let it work that's what its job, and its job was to work. I had no idea what software version it was on. As I'm sure most people that have hopper's could care less what version their software is, as long as the box is working. Most people are not "Power Users" as my dish guy puts it, They have no idea how anything with there dish system works except how to change the batteries in their remote and some do not even know how to do that. I mean honestly if you asked my other half what the R number or where it was located on the box my other half would tell you to call the "the cable company" LOL

Last edited:
Guys,
Look at Post 1 and Post 17. I have listed what I have seen as differences. I do not call them upgrades, I call these poor quality control letting this out with these blatent errors occuring. Maybe they are not errors, but just features working as designed. I don't know. I do wish there was some kind of quality control and change control available when this is pushed out. I do not understand how I have a version that does not show as one that has gone out or sounds like it should even exist. I would really like to know exactly what is happening and why. Just my opinion, nothing more.

I will be more than happy to perform any tests for anyone and report back what I see or do not see. I am not trying to cause any problems here. I also like to understand my system software, it's features and capabilities, and try to figure our the new changes. But with this version I currently see more wrong than more good. Let me know and I honestly would like to help.

Thanks Bill

Bill I think you've been a great sport about this. Thanks for sharing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)