SA Explorer 8300HD tweaks / help

My STBs will be installed tomorrow (TWCNYC): two HD boxes and one HD-DVR. According to TWCNYC's prior info, I'll get 8300HDs. I know TWCNYC use Passport which is the better sw but I requested an active Firewire, so it's still a big question...

SatelliteGAL said:
Ive had my 8000 for 1 day and it has frozen and rebooted twice already. After the first time I lost some of my HD channels and they had to set up a service call because they cant figure out why.
Id like to know if the 8300 box is in any way better than the 8000. I dont know why they gave me the 8000 instead.

I think you get what they have available. 8000HD is all that is available for me. You can call and request a different box.

After a week with my box, it seems to have settled down a bit (only problem I am currently having is audio breakups on the local HD channels). Maybe they pushed some new firmware? I havent checked versions on it tho.

-John

T2k said:
Somebody know if there's any 8300-based HD-DVR? I got this 8001HD-based one and it's slow like hell. :(
I guess I'm not sure what your are asking... Mine is an SA Explorer 8300HD.

FYI. Your cable company may very well have both the SA8000 and SA8300 available. The former seems to be much more buggy than the newer model. It was suggested to me in a different forum that i should tell my cable company (Cox San Diego) my TV has HDMI input (whether it does or not) in order to get the 8300. I did this and had no problem getting the 8300.

Survived the damnation of VOOM to the end, still got OTA though... just got the Explorer 8300HD DVR with Adelphia today and am "playing"... as a first generation Tico Head its getting a bit of getting use to, but it seems to be not bad, specially for the cheap lease price... just downloaded the "Full Factory SetUp & Guides at:
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/explorerclub/index_new.asp
You may have to register to get in to these, but its fast & easy. The tech that brought it over didn't lease a guide nor good remote guide so I've just about got it figured out... Still haven't disconected my VOOM Box from the DVI input (Pany 60" Widesceen LCD) need to move the OTA to S Video and get a conversion cable for the DVI as my TV is real sensitive to GIGO and the Digital signal really makes a difference specially in HD... VOOM reciever gives great quality I think... anyway, connecting to a DVI automatically sets the aspect just like the VOOM box or any other video in connection can be Manually set or Easy Wizzard set to your desired spec's... I'll just go the auto way... it's not VOOM but its the next best thing available I could get until Dish or Directv comes out with a good HD package with VOOM like content... I thought the current Dish deal wasn't that good, best to wait... guess I'll be checking out the Explorer 8300HD threads from now on....!!!

Happy Viewing....!!!

Had mine for 2 weeks now and an surprisingly happy with it. PQ on the SD channels is much better than the old SA3000 box I had before Voom. I like that you can set outputs that your tv can see. I couldn't use Native on Voom box as my mits doesn't see 720p. Now I watch SD on 480p and stretch with tv that does a better job than box does. No switching anything makes it easier for everyone to use. If I decide to stay with cable than I will have to add hard drive though. You can fill this one up fast with Hd recordings. Also like that on analog channels they converted sound to come out digital. On my old box it used to switch to regular rca cables and volume used to drop in half.

pmalve said:
I like that you can set outputs that your tv can see. [...]Also like that on analog channels they converted sound to come out digital. On my old box it used to switch to regular rca cables and volume used to drop in half.

My 8000HD box does everything you mention as well. I suspect those features were probably added with software updates to both boxes.

-John

TsMkLg068426 said:
SA Explorer 3800 HD DVR and I was wondering if it has Dolby Digital?
You are asking about the 8300, not 3800, correct?
Yes, 8300 has a digital (optical) audio output.

Welcome to the forum!

thanks for welcoming and yes 8300 also when my TV was left on and my box was turned of I held select than I klicked on - Volume and I got 720 P when plus volume you get 1080i than I klicked on the + channel on the box I got 480i and + channel on the box I got 480p but I put it back to 1080i did I mess up something on box? Please I hope not im so scared!

Is there a possible to reset everything back to normal?

HELP PLEASE!

TsMkLg068426 said:
thanks for welcoming and yes 8300 also when my TV was left on and my box was turned of I held select than I klicked on - Volume and I got 720 P when plus volume you get 1080i than I klicked on the + channel on the box I got 480i and + channel on the box I got 480p but I put it back to 1080i did I mess up something on box? Please I hope not im so scared!

Is there a possible to reset everything back to normal?

HELP PLEASE!

Use the HD Wizard...

With box OFF and TV on, press Info and Guide (on box) together and follow the prompts. You can choose any resolution that your TV supports.

Personally, I like 1080i only (no 720p on my TV), because it takes the DVR box a few seconds to switch resolutions. Sometimes it gets confused and thinks SD is HD, so it switches then realizes its SD, so it switches back! Ugh... (on my 8000HD box, which is simular to the 8300HD)

-John

When I went to advance and did that my box went dead for 10 mins Why? I got so scared when it went to 720P and than to 480i than after 10 mins. I was back able to get to the menu went advance and put 1080i and 16X9 How stupid was I to screw with that did my TV get screwed up? Im so so Scared! HELP PLEASE GOD HELP!

If your TV set does not support 720p you either need to disable 720p mode in the advanced settings or use the Upconvert mode that forces 1080i. (I believe it is Upconvert-1, you can double-check in the manual.)

And don't be scared. You won't break anything. If the screen goes black it simply means that the current resolution mode is not supported in your TV set. The box sends the signal, but the TV set can't display it.

Ilya said:
If your TV set does not support 720p you either need to disable 720p mode in the advanced settings or use the Upconvert mode that forces 1080i. (I believe it is Upconvert-1, you can double-check in the manual.)

I have found it is better to tell the box 1080i only, and leave the setting to pass-thru.

This way you can zoom/stretch/normal via the box. The Upconvert-1 setting doesn't allow zoom on SD source that gets upconverted.

-John

Anyone have overheating problems with the 8300HD?

I was noticing pixelation and sound dropouts, so I rebooted. When it came back, it was 12:00 and I only got channels 2-82 (analog channels). When I pressed info I got the message "Advance services not available". After turning the box off for a while, and placing some stands underneath it now works fine with no audio cutouts or pixelation.

Anyone else have a simular experience?

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)