SA Explorer 8300HD tweaks / help

8300hd new to me

I am currently with dish but I could not wait for locals and pay 700+ for a 942 so I decided to try out the 8300 because my local cable co. cox just started broadcasting cbs, nbc, pbs and upn locals. I did have some of the set up problems mentioned earlier "red Screen" but it turned out to be user error' did not take my time to go through set up wizard properly, best setting for my setup is passthru also having the same loss of sound along with pixel loss at the same time very occasionally and very briefly. I went to the sa web site and downloaded a more complete user guide that helped. As far as the 8300 pq it is realy impressive on my sony crt kv-36hs510 even though it is 4x3 I still get about a 32-34 inch wide screen 16x9 in the auto mode for hd and then it switches back to 4x3 on any non hd signals. Since I have 2 other hd tv's I think I will get 2 more 8300's and not have to pay $2000+ with dish and still not have local's in 1080 till who knows when and in what format mpeg 2 or mpeg 4. I have been with dish for 2 years but think it is time to switch back to cable since I will now be able to get almost all football playoff games and bowl games in 1080, not to mention the Masters this spring. :hatsoff:

i got my 3rd 8300 box today, the 2 others had the same problem of rebooting a few times a day for no reason.
when i change from non HD to HD channels, my sound level drops by about 35%. any ideas why? using upconvert-1 setting, with 480p and 1080i only set.
running through a sony 5.1 reciever

aaronrand said:
When i change from non HD to HD channels, my sound level drops by about 35%. any ideas why?

Likely because the analog channels (channels below 100) are in analog stereo, and the HD channels are in digital stereo (Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital Pro Logic, or some sort of digital audio). The analog stereo signal is just louder than the digital signal. Nothing to do with your box.

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)